PDA

View Full Version : Flying a single from Oz to Europe -- advice neededadvice needed

hypoxical
19th Oct 2009, 01:33
Planning to relocate a PA-28 from Oz to Europe. Would like to fly myself but am not experienced enough to plan and execute by myself, so the idea is to take a ferry pilot for the ride and of course the prep and paperwork.

Have contacted Clamback & Hennessy, ferryflights.org and International Ferry Flights Ferrying And Ferry Pilot Service (http://www.internationalferryflights.com). Anyone had dealings with these guys, and is there anyone else out there I should be talking to?

Seeking advice on things like:

likely costs as opposed to shipping in container, especially the things ferry orgs don't quote you on like fees en-route, ATC charges, insurance, etc., for such a long tour
equipment needed, most likely looking at renting survival and comms gear. ferry flight permits or equivalent as the tour will most likely exceed 100 hours
export CofA and any paperwork/tech checks needed here and in Europe
whether ferry tanks may be needed (180 litres usable, 30-35 l/hr cons., 115 KIAS)
any do's/dont's from people who been there/done that

Thanks heaps in advance, I've flown on three continents and around an entire one, but never through so many countries and especially the dodgy ones along the route. Looking forward to the adventure though, should be pretty cool

Mach E Avelli
19th Oct 2009, 11:02
Unless you can run it on Mogas, you will probably have to tank it because there are great chunks of the world now where there is no Avgas. Even running it on Mogas would present logistical difficulties because you have to get the stuff past airport security.
By the time you factor in everything, a shipping container will be cheaper. But if you are after the adventure, tank it, get someone else to do all the paperwork and just go for it! If Chichester could do it in an old biplane at 75 knots with a sextant, in today's GPS age a well maintained 115 knot aeroplane can eat it. The paperwork and airport transits are the hard part. The flying is not too difficult if all the usual commonsense precautions re weather etc are observed.
And yes, been there done that. More than once. Without GPS.

DBTW
20th Oct 2009, 10:20
Talk to White Rose in the UK. Overflight flight clearance Home (http://www.WhiteRoseAviation.co.uk)

If you can afford the time and money, do it. Don't not have a go.

The trip won't be cheap. The container route will cost US$5Kish. You should expect to pay several magnitudes more than that to fly.

White Rose will get you agents and help you with all the clearances you need. If you have about 700 nm range you can make it, can you stretch that far? An approved ferry tank on the back seat could solve most problems because 800-1200 nm range makes it much easier. Talk about the demise of avgas is a bit premature. There is always a way to find it and White Rose will help.

Probably your biggest problem will be explaining what visa you need in India because you'll need to stop there a few times. India is very expensive for transits and you will have trouble with the food/accom/water. Part of the adventure I'm afraid. Most other countries will be manageable without too many glitches.

White Rose will also tell you how much each airport will cost along the way.

I suggest a rented HF and look to buying the liferaft and jacket.

Talk more on PM if you wish?

schoolboy
23rd Oct 2009, 08:36
I think you would be better off putting it in a container. You will definitely have trouble finding Avgas and it will probably end up heaps cheaper. Not as fun though!

Phenom100
23rd Oct 2009, 08:51
try ferryflyers.com :ok:

magvelda
24th Oct 2009, 17:54
Hi

I will be delighted to assist.

Please PM me.

Best Wishes:ok:

Sam Rutherford
31st Oct 2009, 17:33
I've now flown Texas-Belgium, Belgium-Cape Town-Belgium.

Organising avgas in some countries is problematical but possible (we had to create and avgas solution in Khartoum from nothing) - but again, possible.

It is MUCH easier than you think, really. It's all in the preparation, and I always use Mike at White Rose - fantastic.

Ahem, if you want help with the flight let me know!!! Don't need to be paid! This paragraph will probably launch a collection of offers - consider them!;)

Safe flights, Sam.

kevinsky18
1st Nov 2009, 01:31
If you are looking for the cheapest solution. Selling it and buying another plane in Europe may be cheaper than pulling it apart and shipping it or flying it.

Of course you can't put a price on once in a lifetime adventures.

going down-under
1st Nov 2009, 11:59
Just a minor maintenance tip:

Strap on an extra V-belt to your engine block! It will dry out a bit but if your V-belt brakes you don't have to take of your prop to install a new one. (start with a new one and let the engineer install the spare at the same time)

I did a check on a PA-28 in EU years ago which flew from OZ. It had the route painted on the engine cowlings (sort of trophy) and the extra V-belt strapped to the engine but not used.

Happy flying