PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air, Emirates, Etihad, or Qatar?

Sidestick Priority
19th Oct 2009, 00:32
If you are given a choice between these 4 airlines in the ME, what is your preference and why?

samjetblaster
19th Oct 2009, 01:23
None,all socks..................:ugh:

Chandler Bing
19th Oct 2009, 03:11
Same answer....
If you are not anywhere close to personal bankrupcy, stay where you are.
The amount of disappointment here is not measurable.....
EY is a big lie, and Abu Dhabi is nowhere close to a decent place to live.
No justice, hidden pollution ( air and water ) , insane driving habits, no labor laws, at least not for you , exhausting way of working, disguised racism and no way for a better future as the mentality here is :
If you don't like it, leave
Abu Dhabi is renamed Abu Karachi, so if you wanna put your family in there, up to you.

troff
19th Oct 2009, 03:18
Yes, Sam,
We all wear socks at all four of these airlines.
How can Mr. Sandblaster can comment on all of the operations? I am sure he has not worked for all four of them.
I can only comment on one of the airlines in question: EK. it's a living.
There are many ways that an airline motivates it's employees. Some things don't change except the colour of the paint.
I have worked for six different airlines in my 20+ year career and have seen many different management styles. Any way you cut it the people running airlines are slippery, shrewd and manipulative.
Some engage the employee and others, well, don't. There are four basic airline management strategies. I know which one EK picked, why it did, and how it uses it.
Although many complain about the T+C's being cut by EK, all in all it's a decent package. There are many arguments for both sides (pilots and management) as to why they behave as they do, but that's just the way it is.
No one forced the hands of those that are at any of these airlines.
If you are employed by one of them and for whatever reason you no longer like it, leave.
T

ainkhaled
19th Oct 2009, 04:05
If you do nothing else do yourselves the biggest favor, no matter how desparete avoid QR. Truly shocking company where firing employes esp pilots is sport for managemant and ceo

loc22550
19th Oct 2009, 08:14
Depends what are you looking for..Money,..nice place to live...:}
-Sidestick:Not sure about gulf air, but Money wise and taking EVERYTHING in consideration (bonus,annual increase,benefit..) Qatar has the lowest condition.Even AA (low cost Airline has better condition fo 320 driver.).
-Everything that has been said by chandler about Abu Dhabi is applicable to Doha..(careless, selfish,dirty people,criminal driver,and Abu dhabi is "nice" compared to Doha.
-The airline Q.R. is run by a :mad:

People who come and/or stay here are (there are exception off course):

-the one who suffer from political issue in their countries,safety,security..
-The one who can't really go elsewhere for different reason..Passport,licence..
-the one who like to have a good rating (320,330,777..), and maybe leave later on.
-guys who divorced and need money..:}
-single guys who can still save some money,and have good time with C.C.:).
-couple without kids.
-people who come from countries where the salary is 5 times less than here.
-people from US where there is no secured job/company anymore.."who knowns about tomorrow..?".
-people looking for a long haul experience.
-people fed up of paying 50%+ taxes in their home countries.
If you are one of this..welcome to Sandpit!

hunter320
19th Oct 2009, 08:22
I'm sure you can pick up a lot of opinions from so many posts,
i can only provide mine of (GFA) i worked for a worse carrier be for, but so far I'm content with GFA, hear ed it can be worse anywhere els from an employees point of view, no where is perfect of course.
it all depends on your personal tolerance level of company rules and culture.
as far as the country: you should do your own research and pay a visit and judge for your self if you can make a home there or not......

Captain Oryx
19th Oct 2009, 09:18
Qatar. Because they hired me!:}

Seriously, I didn't have the opportunity to examine the others as they were not hiring at the time.

I will say, I would not have left my previous contract had this not appeared to be an improvement. So far, it has been.

Besides, any airline that loc and aink are running down has to be pretty good, right!;) lol.

Good luck in your search!!:ok:

puff m'call
19th Oct 2009, 10:26
Avoid EK big time.

Shocking management through senior levels. Plus Dubai is an awful place. :ugh:

Captain Ned Kelly
19th Oct 2009, 12:23
All these airlines are like marriage. Who is out wants to get in and who is in wants to get out. :E

powerstall
19th Oct 2009, 14:31
Uhm.... is this a trick question? :confused:

T O G A Boy
19th Oct 2009, 14:53
Truth of the matter is that EK, EY and QR are big airlines and u will only be a number there. On the other hand GF is very much a personal and frienship orientated company and everybody knows everybody..Those who moan and groan are not forced to stay. They can always pack and leave cause wherever they go, they'll always end up finding faults.
Gulf Air truly is a great airline to work for. It has it's ups and downs like all major carriers in the region but nowhere near the scale of those other three carriers u mentioned. As Hunter said, pay a visit and decide for yourself.
Dont listen to some sad bunch here who have nothing better to do than whinge...

Fart Master
19th Oct 2009, 16:39
Oh dear, oh dear Moshber, I think I'd rather listen to a whinger rather than a brown noser:bored:

dcbus
19th Oct 2009, 16:43
Troff and Moshber,

Well said guys. You both have revived my belief that there are some normal pilots on this forum. Not just those who paint the gloom and doom with their misplaced hope of getting the so called "promised command" or a payrise.:D

dcbus
19th Oct 2009, 16:48
These are the guys I was talking about. "Brown nose" I guess it goes with the name and the posts Fartmaster!:rolleyes:

Sal-e
19th Oct 2009, 17:12
Brown nose to who, Fart Master? We're all anonymous here. Someone once said that farting is a poofter's love call.
Truth of the matter is GF is a good company to work for. They aren't as rich as the neighbours, but they are a good bunch to work for on a personal level. There is no 'local v expat' mentality. They pay the best net money in the gulf and always on time. The aircrafts are getting better. Bahrain is a pretty relaxed place to live in. At least that's how it has been in the three years I've been here.

ironbutt57
19th Oct 2009, 18:57
Why would one be considered a "brown noser" for liking his workplace?? Most of us here at GF for the most part enjoy working here and living in Bahrain, of course if you dig deep enough there's always something to whinge about, it's a great atmosphere to work in here in our airline.:ok:

airtractor
19th Oct 2009, 19:09
interesting how nobody ever mentions Oman air?
Oman seems to be one of the best kept secret in the middle east, I can't believe that we live on the same peninsula when I read about life in the UAE: Omani people are very polite and humble, women are well respected, the countryside is amazing, every week-end is an adventure, great place to raise kids cost of living is fairly low etc... Am I missing something here?

H1N1
19th Oct 2009, 19:09
Simply put, take the one that hires you first. It doesn't really matter, because they are all the same.
:E

T O G A Boy
19th Oct 2009, 19:30
Fartmaster i guess u r a person who simply despises the true facts of life. Being honest about my opinions doesnt necessarily mean i am a brown noser.And since u rather listen to a whinger clearly states that you are just one of those sad whingers that is never satisfied in life...
airtractor u r absolutely spot on about Oman. But sidestick didnt mention Oman Air in his question...

FlyingCroc
19th Oct 2009, 20:58
I like Oman too, nice place, friendly people that actually work for a living. And yes Gulf Air, I flew with them as a passenger, very nice treatment as a PAD, also in the the layovers nice crew, I think, from outside, it is a much better place than EK, EY and QR.

atpcliff
19th Oct 2009, 23:15
Hi!

Interestingly, some Emirates guys are leaving for Qatar, and some Qatar guys are leaving for Emirates.

A number of guys at both of those places say their airline is basically the worst in the world, and, of course, they both can't be right.

I have lately heard how horrible Cathay and Korean are, also.

cliff
NBO

loc22550
20th Oct 2009, 03:52
Airtractor:
fully agree with you about OMAN.:ok:
FlyingCroc:But You known there is a HUGE difference between Oman and Qatar&UAE...In OMAN like ..in a normal country.. locals are working everywhere..!You can see them working in shop,restaurants,hotels taxi driver....
UNTHINKABLE in Qatar&UAE!:ugh:
But at the end of the day i think IMHO this make a huge difference in behaviour..!That's what i like in Oman...

troff
20th Oct 2009, 05:53
The grass is always greener...

Saltaire
20th Oct 2009, 08:02
ATP cliff....see the trend? All expat pilots bitch and complain, it's in the contract, and it's one clause that will never be removed ;)

Could you give one, just one example of someone leaving EK for Qatar. It doesn't happen and if it has it must be a very good reason, or a GCC individual...

Most are frustrated at EK on the bus fleet ( indian airlines ), but the 777 fleet seems much more content. Etihad has growth and financial muscle, but it's a recent development and was the alternative if you couldn't make it into EK.

True, the grass is more often greener, or a chemically enhanced Middle East weed version made to lure you in....

Oblaaspop
20th Oct 2009, 10:24
Sadly ATP will be unable to quote any names, as he has told an un-truth!

Qatar and EK have a bi-lateral agreement which has been in place for many years now which prohibits a pilot from leaving one airline to go directly to the other...... They can't even get an interview!

Now if they decide to leave, go home for 6 months and then apply to the other airline, then thats different. Buts its hardly the same thing as leaving one for the other!

Sorry ATP, get your facts straight before plunging in with nonsense!

B. Bonga
20th Oct 2009, 13:19
PERSONALLY......Gulf Air has the friendliest working enviroment especially amongst the crews........like a small knit family. When you head to work you don't fear for your back in case somebody is trying to stab you .........in EK and QR it looms on you most of the time you got to work. The only drawback for most people about GF is they are not on expanding rapidly like EK, EY, and QR hence GF is "frowned upon".

Duh
20th Oct 2009, 15:09
Oblaaspop states
"Qatar and EK have a bi-lateral agreement which has been in place for many years now which prohibits a pilot from leaving one airline to go directly to the other...... They can't even get an interview! "

Now, I'm not trying to be toooo synical but.....how often do the "locals" honor any agreement wether written or verbal. It's a cultural thing. :}

hunter320
20th Oct 2009, 15:27
well as said befor, i really think its up to an individuals level of tolerance. GFA has the best personal crew working environment in the region so far, and I would not cross over to EK, EY or QR for the money as i didn't 3 years ago.
As the some things just can't be bought.(working enviroment)....
it takes longer for command and its on a the A-320, but its worth the wait....
management changes all the time, but the true spirit of the crew never does....
routes are getting worse, but it doesn't matter where you go, its who your with and how you spend it.
That in my opinion makes all the differance.....

McGreaser
20th Oct 2009, 17:47
......cruisinfobrewsin...wth are you saying ?:confused:

fractional
20th Oct 2009, 18:25
Gulf Air, Emirates, Etihad, or Qatar?
It all depends on your immediate needs. DO not dream coming here thinking this is the el dorado. That's gone long ago.
To enjoy working and living here, you need to need the job first because you don't have one or some other very pressing issues.
You may find here a different technology (glass cockpit versus old Boeings, Convairs, etc.), cabin crew serving you:p, flying in no-war areas or training and management structure you never had in your life.
First things first. Secure free or less costly company housing and try to have the company pay most of your kids' school if you have them. It's very poor now versus ever rising fees. If you don't have kids :{or you are single, the better.
Life in the cockpit is generally pretty good. Watch factoring and the night flying. There will be loads of it.
Oman is really good for time off.

atpcliff
20th Oct 2009, 19:29
Hi!

I was reading on one of more of the QR threads of guys leaving for EK, and vice versa. It doesn't really make any sense to me, because if you read the threads they both sound bad. I guess guys would leave EK/QR to go DEC at the other place??? Sounds crazy.

Question on Gulf Air:
You need 1000 hrs on A-330 to go there as FO. So, where do guys get 1000 A-330? The only thing I could think of is guys are leaving EK/QR off the -330 to go to Gulf Air???

Seems like it would be hard to find guys otherwise...

Is there a big revolving door in the ME and they just swap guys around???? Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

cliff
NBO

NEDude
21st Oct 2009, 00:56
So I am recently divorced, on furlough number three of my nine year airline career and facing bankruptcy. Sounds like the sandpit is the right choice for me!

Bandit FO
21st Oct 2009, 03:16
Yes, you were made for this place! Come on over!

ironbutt57
21st Oct 2009, 05:15
Cliff...1000hrs 330??? where did you hear that?? Evrybody joins on the 320 here, the last bunch of expats we hired, NONE had any 330 time, all had +500 on 320 though..

ShirleyNot
21st Oct 2009, 08:01
Yeah and NOBODY leaves EK and comes to GF, maybe they should, but I think there is only a couple of cases all time. GF to EK is quite common and is still happening.

Speedbrake Lever
21st Oct 2009, 08:25
Currently in AUH with you know who

Been 31 years in the Gulf

They don't have money but thats all thats wrong with them

Bahrain and GF outstrips them all for a living

like i said 31 years here

S.L.

evilatp
21st Oct 2009, 10:38
GF has put a stop to hiring expats, last I heard. They are supposedly only hiring ab-initio kids from the Gulf from now on.

atpcliff
21st Oct 2009, 12:38
Hi!

For job seekers:
Went to the Gulf Air site, and for airbus FOs needed 500 in type, and for 330 FOs 1000 in type.

Etihad and Air Arabia (and most ME airlines) you need to be type-rated.

Emirates you do not nee type, but currently need large aircraft experience.

Qatar, if no type, will have 3 year training bond.

cliff
NBO

ShirleyNot
22nd Oct 2009, 13:39
OK lets make this crystal clear:
GULF AIR DO NOT HIRE F/Os DIRECTLY ONTO THE A330.
All hiring is only onto A320.

fractional
22nd Oct 2009, 16:38
OK lets make this crystal clear:
GULF AIR DO NOT HIRE F/Os DIRECTLY ONTO THE A330.
All hiring is only onto A320.
It makes a lot of sense. If there is a policy of continuity, we all need to start learning the Company from the bottom and not the other way around as it happened so many times here in the Gulf and elsewhere. It is sometimes admissable in the beginning of any operator to follow a different route, but even there has to be a proper balance of experience otherwise CRM problems start right there.

stratocumulus
1st Nov 2009, 15:10
Etihad has growth and financial muscle, but it's a recent development and was the alternative if you couldn't make it into EK.

Etihad ( like any other airline )is simply a choise...no more no less
Remember what grannie told you ????:ugh::mad:

slowjet
2nd Nov 2009, 08:32
IB, "our airline" ????? Good grief ! Only weeks ago there was that hideous advert all over the place ."our country, our airline". If you are an expat, IB, count your days. If you are a local, congratulations.

Frankly, you should be loyal only to your Licence. You are a Commercial pilot, You do this for MONEY. It does not matter a damn what is painted on the side of an aeroplane. I was told that when I first got my CPL a long time ago.

Landflap
2nd Nov 2009, 10:14
NONE. But of course, you may be a gypsi pilot like the rest of us. You need to pay your mortgage, school fees, wifee fees, girlfriend fees, etc etc. So, you go where the work is. Mid East, any where, in order to facilitate all of the foregoing. Just read the forum submissions. You will see that they are all a bunch of rubbish & treat staff extremely badly.

Gf, just like all the rest but a bit more laid back. Unlike Etihad, you will be able to go to work with long hair and no hat. GF, like all the rest, but you can go to your girlie or boyee place after 2am and no-one will bother, except your wife.GF, like all the rest but if you get Aids, you will be deported but you won't have to do jail time first.

Oh, GF winning, but just by a pubic hair. Absolute rubbish employer & crap management (becos they are the locals) and have no people skills or man-management skills (they are confused by simple issues) BUT, not a bad group, they mean well & it is still a better place to live.

Key to all this; GF.IF YOU HAVE TO.

Ion-athan
3rd Nov 2009, 02:44
Look at it this way my friend.....

Check out how many viewers are on the Middle East region compared to the other regions.

Very few people working here they get the best out of it. Most of us are in front of the PC complaining.... Including me