PDA

View Full Version : Flight schools in California

DiamondC
18th Oct 2009, 10:50
I'm planning to go to California to get my PPL (self-paced with self-study for my ground school). My plan is to make a career change into aviation so the PPL is the first step (and is intended to confirm this is what I want to do before I invest a really large stack of cash).

Any advice on whether to go for a larger or smaller school? A larger school might have better opportunities to build my network which would be useful if I continue with making a career change. On the other hand, since I'm only at PPL stage at the moment, a big school might be more interested in students on the CPL/ATPL types of students.

Any advice on the large/small question? Recommendations for schools (or which ones to avoid) in California would be appreciated too.

daviojk
20th Oct 2009, 05:22
I learnt at Angel City Flyers at Long Beach. Very professional, and they use DA40s with full glass cockpits, which are a hoot to fly. The planes are in alot better condition then some I saw taxing around too....:eek:. I never had any problems with planes going 'tech' either.
Very upto speed on training overseas students & assist in getting the correct visas and accommodation.
Long Beach is good airspace to learn in too.

PM if u need more info

flyingfunder
20th Oct 2009, 08:42
I went to L A with my son years ago- flight school now closed. Yet you have a terrific variety of flying conditions ie Sea, Mountains, Desert and Big bear ( high altitude landing site). The locals are great and its cheap to live even with a poor exchange rate. Make sure you get the right school- we were lucky.

DiamondC
20th Oct 2009, 12:37
daviojk - have PMed you

flyingfunder - yep, I cannot wait to get there!

Jwscud
20th Oct 2009, 16:45
Another vote for Angel City - although I haven't received structured training there, I have flown there and they're an excellent professional outfit. The instructors are also very friendly, and the chief pilot (Seosamh) is a seriously good egg.

DiamondC
24th Oct 2009, 08:43
Thanks Jwscud - Angel definitely seems to get good ratings from everyone.