PDA

View Full Version : PPL Progress Question

Vilt
17th Oct 2009, 15:25
Hello,

i obtained my PPL after a year and a half because of instructor changes and got stuck and delayed for studying for the ATPL FAA Exam ! with total of 100 hours plus + ! im really scared of that results and and slow progress due to studies and inst. changes ! does that effect me if I want to apply to any airline ? Please give me some advise ! do I complete my training to obtain CPL/IR or do i just quit !

Im doing my training here in daytona beach ! please advise

Thanks,
Paul

Aerouk
17th Oct 2009, 16:15
None of us can advise you on how you fly, why not take a checkride at a local flying school and find out what their opinion is of your flying.

Vilt
17th Oct 2009, 16:36
I fly really good ! as all instructors that instructed me said ! but my main concern is how to face an interview with a 100 hours of PPL hours logged in !

Thanks for your reply mate

whistling turtle
17th Oct 2009, 18:02
Hi Vilt,

I can see why you would be concerned with 100 hrs to PPL and later interviews with airlines, but a lot of things must come into consideration such as were you learning part-time or full-time, what was yor attitude to training, the training standards of the school i.e. were the instructors genuinely interested or just hour-builders etc. and so on.

I have met people on full-time courses who literally just partied for a year and only did seven hours towards their PPL in that time.

On the flip side of the coin I have met people who were 100% committed and who were completely raped for hours by their greedy hour builder instructor - I had a friend who did 100+ hours to attain his PPL over a three month period and stuck with the instructor despite my cautions - he realizes his error now though.

And then I have met people who unfortunately just didn't have the aptitude to fly fullstop,

The fact is if you struggled through you're PPL you will have a very bad time with Instrument Training and in my opinion that is where it becomes very clear as to those who have what it takes to be proffesional Pilots and those who would be better off keeping it as a hobby.

I think that is something important to think about and good luck.

Vilt
21st Oct 2009, 05:37
whistling turtle

Thank you very much, you're like reading my mind ! yes i'm good at flying but my problem was i had two instructors that wasted my hours for here hours building before moving out of the academy ! i noticed that after it was too late ! I was just nervous and concerned about my issue and what should i expect. but anyways thank you very much !

Abagnale
21st Oct 2009, 06:03
Quit immediately :}

Abagnale
21st Oct 2009, 06:10
yes i'm good at flying
two instructors that wasted my hours

Looks like just another pimply wannabe,thinking the whole world revolves around him...Blaming instructor is not always the best option,aviation is all about learning from your mistakes.

heli_port
21st Oct 2009, 07:46
The fact is if you struggled through you're PPL you will have a very bad time with Instrument Training and in my opinion that is where it becomes very clear as to those who have what it takes to be proffesional Pilots and those who would be better off keeping it as a hobby. Before i went to OAA i obtained my ppl. It took me way more than 45 hours (much more) and here i am today all dressed up in my penguin suite ready to start line training in the A320. Infact your comment above is complete drivel. All BA cared about was that i achieved in the high 90's in my ATPL's and a first series pass! I was also interviewed with Jet2 with one other fella who came via the modular route and i remember him being worried about his 60 hours ppl but he had high atpl passes and first series IR pass (he got the job)...enough said..if you want it go for it. During the hour buidling phase don't burn holes in the sky and actually try and do some stuff towards the cp....right i'm off to drive a big jet :)

tonker
21st Oct 2009, 13:04
Hi

This might seem odd and from a different angle but watch this and think about your progress and performance. Not all relevant but the start is.

Good luck

YouTube - Lions Tour 1997 South Africa - Forwards Meeting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pHqw4XZhPE)