PDA

View Full Version : Physics MSci Or Aeronautical Engineering Meng at University?

Emkay
17th Oct 2009, 13:53
I was originally going for the latter, but my heart is prodding on me to rethink it. Generally speaking which is the better degree, and which will fare me better? My original plans were to graduate with an Aeronautical Engineering degree and then go on to either become an engineer or do pilot training. However, I'm just not sure about it.

I would love some educated advice, please. :ugh:

CAT3C AUTOLAND
17th Oct 2009, 17:03
There are 2 issues with this question.

As I am sure you know, to become an aeronautical engineer by definition, you require a degree. To become a pilot you don't. As a pilot, a degree is a nice thing to have but not essential. I did Aero at degree level, however, it really was a contingency plan, just in case I did not make it as a pilot.

You have to ask the question, what is your heart is set on, engineer or pilot? One thing you have on your side is time, you are only young and have you whole future ahead of you, so plenty of time, even if you did decide to go to Uni, you would pop out the other end with a good qualification and the option to go onto pilot training if you so desire.

Another thing is it all depends on personal circumstances, with regard to commitments, family, financial etc.

Obviously, in this present climate getting a job as a pilot will prove very difficult, I am not about about the Aero Eng industry and the demand for engineers? With the current economic situtation, if I was in your shoes, I would consider getting a degree under my belt, have it on the back burner.

It is difficult to advise you as there are so many variables.

All the best.

scruggs
17th Oct 2009, 17:17
This is an opinion from a friend of mine who's now doing his PhD in Optical Physics. He wasn't considering between an MSci in Physics or MEng in Aeronautical Engineering specifically as your are, but he went for the MSci in Physics over other subjects because he said it was the degree which would give him the most opportunities after graduating. And by the third year when he knew what area of work he wanted to pursue, he tailored his module options accordingly.

Another mate of mine did an MMath in Pure & Applied Mathematics. His opinion was pretty much the same. When he looked for a PhD, he could have done Electrical, Mechanical, Aeronautical or Materials Engineering, or something completely different like financial mathematics or economics.

I did my MEng in Electronic Engineering, and whilst my post-grad options were not too limited, I had far fewer options than the two mates mentioned above.

Obviously it's your call, but if it was me, I'd go with the MSci in Physics. Shop around the different Uni's that offer MSci degrees in Physics and look at their module options. Look at the research groups within the department as that will give you an insight where the academics interests lie. You may find some will offer aerospace/aeronautical modules as options. My mate did his at Imperial College.

Emkay
17th Oct 2009, 18:03
Thanks for the replies so far. I do understand that at the present climate getting a pilots licence first won't guarantee me anything, which is why I am definitely doing to study for a degree first. The main dilemma is actually choosing which degree to do. I love aviation and everything to do with it, but I can't help thinking that Physics may be a broader and more worthwhile degree to get.

One of the main reasons why I also started rethinking is because if I applied for Physics then I can apply to the best universities inside London (Imperial, UCL, Kings etc) and if I did Aeronautical Engineering the only university in London that really does it is Imperial, and their grade requirements and application-place ratios are very high. Otherwise I'd have to leave london for Surrey, Bath, Bristol, Southampton, Loughborough or the likes. If I went to Physics I can also stay at home, and stay within London, which is my favourite city.

The main question is, if I took Physics, how much would it defer me in terms of a career within the aviation industry? It doesn't have to be just Pilot Training. I understanding that in terms of being a pilot there is no guarantee so what sort of other career within Aviation can I get into, with a Physics degree? And would it be more advantageous?

Groundloop
19th Oct 2009, 08:53
There are other universities in London that do Aeronautical Engineering as well as Imperial.

Aerospace101
19th Oct 2009, 12:49
but he went for the MSci in Physics over other subjects because he said it was the degree which would give him the most opportunities after graduating.

I disagree. An "Engineering" degree gives you the MOST opportunities after university over any other subject. fact. Only 2 areas you cant go into are Medecine or Law.

Scott Duch
20th Oct 2009, 13:50
Im currently 17 and i'm halfway through my first semester of doing Aeronautical Engineering. Most of my day consists of maths at 9am with analogue electronics, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, engineering skills and aerospace engineering. It's a very challenging degree and i have to spend upto 3 hours a night keeping on top of it all. I was worried as i wanted to become a pilot as soon as i left school but with the current climate i choose uni. I thought i wouldnt put alot of effort into such a hard degree as i already have the qualifications needed to get into many FTOs but i have been putting alot of work in im although it's tough and a big challenge it's worth it. Our course has a mdoule named Aerospace Engineering which takes us away from the maths etc and goes on about the industry, history of flight, boeing, airbus, flight instruments, aerodyanmics....the basic concepts and i see this tieing up nicely with ATPL studies. Overall, i'm very happy with choosing Aeronautical Engineering. Right now i'm on the MEng but might just do the BEng, see how it goes.:)

UniFlyBoy
21st Oct 2009, 21:25
You could take a look at degree courses which integrate some type of flying training and geared up towards aviation operations and services rather than manufacturing and design like those at Leeds Uni and Salford. I did the course at Leeds which has worked well for me but it is not as good as it used to be (see my other posts) and I probably would not apply now. I think there are degree course which now integrate the ATPL at City, but I could be wrong.

Jimmy Macintosh
21st Oct 2009, 21:51
My first response is do the degree that interests you the most. If you're interest wains it gets tough to get through.

As has been said it makes no difference whether you have a Physics degree or Aero degree on being a pilot. But with regards to work afterwards if the pilot thing doesn't work out, Engineering will give you a lot of opportunities. From my graduating class, 6 went into finance, 3 into computing and the other 9 into some form of engineering career, (Aerospace Engineering).

Both of those degrees should give you a good grounding in maths, but I don't recall anything I learned in my degree helping with the ATPL's.

With my interviews for sponsorship the contents of my degree never came up just the result, other than that it was personal qualities, aptitude tests, problem solving abilities etc.