PDA

View Full Version : BAE Saudi Riyadh ...Urgent info Reqd

BillyBoy200UK
17th Oct 2009, 12:03
Hi everyone, just about to confirm appointment out in Riyadh in a groundcrew capacity. Leaving RAF in the Spring and wanting to know if i am doing the right thing?

Single, so no family to worry about, i understand that the hosts are not particularly over friendly to infidels, so understand that part of it. More concerned with living conditions, as i understand there is a quite new compound that everyone lives on, is there much of a social life when off duty? Can only use the gym and pool so much!

Guess what concerns me is that i may be going out there for the money, and realise i will probably need to do min 5 years in order to save up a nice lettle nest egg, as this will probably be my last work opportunity (aside from shelf stacking at Tesco's upon my eventual return :-)

As i understand it, the accommodation is 2 bed apartments, air conditioned and gratis, only a social drinker so not worried about it being dry, although i understand that alcohol is available within the confines of the compound?

Is the compound purely accommodation, restaurants, gym, pools etc. or are there other things there? Are you able to buy western goods etc, as for things like cars, do you need to pay in cash, or are you able to open a local bank account obtain bank loans etc??

Have been stationed overseas for a number of years, but there has always been the opportunity to integrate to a certain extent with the local culture, from what i have read particularly on here, is that in the kingdom this is not really possible due to the hosts attitude to westerners, please correct if i am wrong.

Apologies if this has turned into a bit of a ramble, have just found it difficult to find out these things, and would appreciate advise from those in the know.

Also, is broadband internet available in the compound?

Please either respond to this thread or pm, whichever you feel comfortable, thanks in advance!

Runaway Gun
17th Oct 2009, 12:09
Did BAe not brief you about these things?

When I last visited them, they had a great video to watch, and most importantly, a guy to ask these questions.

RumPunch
18th Oct 2009, 01:02
I enjoyed my time in Riyadh , an eye opener but they are pretty strict to there own about bothering western people.

Good luck and if its for a nest egg for the future then quite right , the money they pay is better than you will get anywhere in the UK :ok:

Evileyes
18th Oct 2009, 09:53
If you served in the forces long enough to get a qual but don't know anyone in wallyworld, you probably shouldn't go.

Yeah, they should have told ya...

Flight_Idle
18th Oct 2009, 10:01
I did twelve years in Riyadh, but left about 7 years ago so things may have changed a little, 20% love it, 20% hate it, with the rest somewhere in between.

At least the climate in Riyadh is far more bearable than Jeddah or Dahran, as Riyadh is 2000' above sea level & the humidity is usually very low in summer.

The shops are excellent, the desert scenery magnificant & if you like fossil collecting, it knocks Lyme Regis into a cocked hat.

The western books about the Saudis are a mixture of truths & untruths, you'll get on OK if you are willing to accept cultural differences.

BillyBoy200UK
18th Oct 2009, 10:40
Thanks for the info starting to trickle through...appreciate it