PDA

View Full Version : sloane's

henrymonster
16th Oct 2009, 10:04
has anyone else had extremely long roter head overhall delays? i have been waiting since May and every week a new delay.

JTobias
16th Oct 2009, 11:09
Was this on a 206?

When I bought my machine 18 months ago, the owner at the time was waiting for the main rotorhead overhaul to be completed, before I could take delivery of it.

In the end it took a total of 3 months and the bill was way, way, over budget! :uhoh:

Joel

jeepys
16th Oct 2009, 12:19
This type of problem is typical with SOME of the big maintenance companies. The larger the facility becomes the less personal service you tend to get and let's face it a helicopter is quite often your little baby that warrants a personal service.

For some reason many people think they get a far superior service with a large dealer but often they get ripped off and when you start asking questions why your annual bill has just doubled for no reason they get offensive and then do not like to deal with you.

There are some real good small maintenance facilities out there that produce craftsmanship like work at a decent price with a good service. If you find one then let me know.

Cheers.

quichemech
16th Oct 2009, 12:32
Henry,

There is only 1 man in the overhaul shop at Sloanesand there is only so much Glyn can do on his own, I take it it is for a 109? It may be that there is a parts issue from Agusta(again).

For those of you needing Jetranger stuff done I can highly recommend Inaer at Thruxton 01264 771700, they aren't a massive organisation and the service level is from my own personal experience outstanding.:D

Something for you owners out there to remember, the costs over the last year have gone up by at least 30% due to price rises from the manufacturers coupled with the changes to exchange rates.

henrymonster
16th Oct 2009, 12:35
yes it is a 206. there seems no end to the wishy washy excuses. i am now out of licence as i missed an LPC and getting madder by the second. i will never use them again for any work.

RVDT
16th Oct 2009, 12:56
A 206 M/R Head used to take us about 3 days. There is not much to them.

MBJ
16th Oct 2009, 13:51
May also be worth having a think about how much you are prepared to pay for aircraft maintenance. People seem to be happy paying £100+/hr for work on their Porsche but whinge paying £50 or £60 for aircraft work. Over the years this has meant aircraft engineering companies are financially strapped, can't afford to hold spares and can't throw manpower at a problem, cos they can't afford to pay staff.

longbox
16th Oct 2009, 15:25
I have had bad experiences of this for many years, longoverdue targets, way over target budget, Heli-Charter at Manston now have approval on all 206 dynamic componants and have recently carried out a tail rotor gearbox on my L and main transmission on the Jet Ranger, both ontime and budget, and the finish was great too :ok:

toptobottom
16th Oct 2009, 17:00
People seem to be happy paying £100+/hr for work on their Porsche

I've never been happy paying £100+/hr for my car to be serviced!!

biggles99
16th Oct 2009, 19:30
Every time the cost of maintenance gets raised, someone brings up the posh car rates versus the helicopter rates comparison.

What a load of TOSH.

How many of you Porche/Bentley owners spend a minimum of 10k and up to 25k on maintenance each year?

Er, about none, methinks. Your Porche/Bentley goes in for a couple of days each year, you get a bill for between 500 quid and 5k and they give you a replacement Porche/Bentley for the duration.

That's why helicopter owners get a tad miffed when they can't get their helicopter back in the air.

I agree with Jeepys. It may be no cheaper going to a small maintenance outfit, but at least you won't be treated like an inconvenient neccessity to the improvement of the bottom line on a P&L.

Big Ls.

JTobias
16th Oct 2009, 19:49
Have you had a quote for the work yet?

Joel:eek:

henrymonster
17th Oct 2009, 08:20
yes i have but that is wishy washy too. thanks all for the advice as sloanes is now on my 'dont go there list'

JTobias
17th Oct 2009, 16:28
Good luck,

If you want to know the final bill from Sloane on mine, PM me.
Make sure you are sat down with a brandy though!

Joel