PDA

View Full Version : The Fair Work Act and Qantaslink

Fonz121
16th Oct 2009, 08:12
Sorry if this has been brought up already, and if it has feel free to point me in the direction (search came up with nothing).

What Im wanting to know is whether or not gaining employment with Qantaslink is going to rule out any other opportunities within the Qantas group due to the Fair Work Act that was introduced this year.

Pilots I know in Qantaslink seem to think its put a stop to any chance of moving on to Jetstar or mainline and from what I understand its due to the fact that you can't be re-employed by the same company within a three month period and go onto a lower wage. Obviously an inadvertent flaw in the law which is meant to protect employees rights.

Now this is just what I have heard down the line so Im trying to establish whether or not this is true. I had a crack at reading the Fair Work Act 2009 (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/ActCompilation1.nsf/0/1C82799D042E1BEDCA257608000320A6/$file/FairWork2009.pdf) but gave up after 30 mins as it is over 600 pages long.
So if anyone in the know can enlighten me as to what the actual case is with this then I would be very grateful.

Surely if this is in fact the case then people might be thinking twice about going to QL if its set in stone that you cannot progress. I know that progression from QL to J* and QF has always been a murky issue but at least there was a slimmer of hope. If you're the type who hopes to fly a jet one day then you would be cutting off a lot of your options.

Zoomy
16th Oct 2009, 09:40
Not going to stop me, I am as keen as all hell to work for QLink.:ok:

training wheels
16th Oct 2009, 11:06
I'm sure the Qantaslink management doesn't mind too much about the The Fair Work Act. I get the impression that they don't like their company being used as a stepping stone to the majors. I personally think regional flying a turbo-prop would be an awesome gig, and given the chance, would choose it over any other type of flying that's on offer in the industry.

But I guess that's what everyone says at the interview, hey, but I really do mean it!

Di_Vosh
16th Oct 2009, 11:09
Yes, the Fair Work act has had an impact for people wanting to transfer within the group.

This was made clear in a very convincing manner when a Qlink captain got a Jetstar job, but was told that he couldn't start with them until he'd been an ex-Qlink employee for three months.

Yes, it IS currently a problem, as it's impact is more than just for pilots who want to transfer from Qlink to J* & Mainline.

However, the AFAP are currently working on getting agreements in place so that what happened to our ex-captain wont re-occur.

Additionally, this is new legislation and (to my knowledge) hasn't been tested yet by anyone in any workplace. As with any new legislation, there are often amendments that will take place so as to alleviate issues such as this one.

As for...

Surely if this is in fact the case then people might be thinking twice about going to QL if its set in stone that you cannot progress.

They might, but I'd be guessing that it wont stop anyone coming to Qlink.

Besides, most ex-Qlink people go to VB, or Cx :E

DIVOSH!

Capt Claret
16th Oct 2009, 11:23
It's never been officially set in stone that one can't progress to mainline from the regionals. Reality is that it doesn't happen very often. Back when Ansett & Skywest were in the same stable, there was an official right of interview, though very few made it.

If I were a cynic, I'd say that lack of progression is because of the associated training costs, not because the regional candidate is not suitable.

neville_nobody
16th Oct 2009, 11:32
I guess that the old addage if you want to go to QF get into Rex and Qlink if you want to go to Virgin still applies then:rolleyes:

Hugh Jarse
17th Oct 2009, 07:11
Qantaslink and Qantas would be absolutely ecstatic with the Fair Work Act.

Essentially, Krudd has formalised what has been "unofficial" QF HR policy for the last 15 years. Now they don't need to think up lame excuses for the lack of career progression within the group. They can just blame Krudd!

Who'd have thought a Labor government would think this one up! :}

Don't expect any action from QF on this one!

Wise man, that Clarrie. ;)

Di Vosh wrote Besides, most ex-Qlink people go to VB, or Cx http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif and love not having to deal with a narcissistic management.

Nifty: Correct weight there, Shaggs :}

Bo777
17th Oct 2009, 07:53
This Act though could have the opposite effect desired by management. There are rumours that Qlink want to expand their routes. With obvious retirements and expansion on the cards this could in the long run be harmful to pilot recruitment and may strike the death knell of Qlink. Who would want to become an employee for Qlink due to this unfair act if it disadvantages your future career within the group? If you're deciding between Rex or Qlink as a possible career path ... its a no-brainer really.

The question is though what is AFAP doing about it????

apache
17th Oct 2009, 10:57
surely a VOLUNTARY move to a lesser paid position is outside the scope of a narrow minded Labor government legislation.
I would theorise that it is to stop employers MOVING employees against their will to lower paid positions.

Di_Vosh
17th Oct 2009, 22:35
AFAIK, the fair work act was inspired by the actions of an abbotoir in Cowra, NSW, back in 2006.

This has had the unforseen consequences that the Qantas group is now experiencing. (Not sure if this may have ramifications for transfers within the VB/VA/PacBlue group as well?)

Bo

Who would want to become an employee for Qlink due to this unfair act if it disadvantages your future career within the group?

Eastern and Sunnies have not had problems recruiting in the past, and it's only been recently that there HAS been any progression within the group.

The question is though what is AFAP doing about it????

Please re-read my earlier post. If you want an update, why not speak to your pilot council rep?

DIVOSH!

Bo777
17th Oct 2009, 22:49
Divosh
Eastern and Sunnies have not had problems recruiting in the past
Ignorance is bliss, apparently. I doubt new recruits are aware of the act and its ramifications.
If you want an update, why not speak to your pilot council rep?
Minutes ... I can read. Do you really want to know what I think of the pilot council? :hmm:

Di_Vosh
17th Oct 2009, 23:07
Bo777

Ignorance is bliss, apparently. I doubt new recruits are aware of the act and its ramifications.

My OPINION is that even IF there is no changes from the current situation, there will be little if any reduction in applicants (however, I DON'T think that the current situation will continue). Your OPINION is different.

Who is being ignorant here? Me, or someone who is so steadfast in their own OPINION that they refuse to accept any other?

Minutes ... I can read. Do you really want to know what I think of the pilot council?

Okaaay... YOU asked the question what is the AFAP doing about it. I said that they ARE doing something about it and to contact your pilot council rep for an update (not likely to be in the last minutes) and I get a smart arse respose!

Bravo mate! :ugh: