PDA

View Full Version : Heliflight NZ

milkedstudent
16th Oct 2009, 01:30
Heliflight has an empty hangar and students are in limbo again. If you are a student best contact whitirea about completing course. Doesnt look good for students who have had course run over time due to lack of machines

kwikenz
16th Oct 2009, 02:35
Lack of machines or students who are meant to be in full time study participating in full time work as well?

If you were studying anything else, you would be expected to sit an exam on a defined date. If you failed to meet this deadline... thanks for the money... better luck next time.

If there is a genuine failure by the provider to supply machines for timely completion, then maybe you would have a case... you better have made some pretty detailed notes for your year of study though!

In any case, good luck and you may be one of the few genuine students who have a genuine gripe... however, there are so many for whom being a pilot was 'good idea' and improperly executed with the benefit of an interest free student loan!

milkedstudent
16th Oct 2009, 02:49
2 machines crashed this year and not replaced, one 300 available for 20+ students. Be optimistic to think you would be able to get many flights a week with weather and maintenance.

Southislander
16th Oct 2009, 03:31
heard from someone on the inside that its not what it seems. Company not wound up but sold to a new owner and that it has ceased trading for a week to hand over. New owner Phil someone had meeting with students and staff.

Polytec carrying and do not want to finish with student loans as its a much a gravy chain for them.

Apparently the calibre of students now in NZ is reaching rock bottom and really the scheme should be finsihed. Rumour is that the minister Ann Tolley and Bill english will finish at the end of 2010.:ok:

hef
16th Oct 2009, 04:21
Apparently the calibre of students now in NZ is reaching rock bottom and really the scheme should be finsihed. Rumour is that the minister Ann Tolley and Bill english will finish at the end of 2010.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

That sure is good news, about 5 years to late but good anyway.

Does Phil's last name happen to start with a J?

Hughesy
18th Oct 2009, 07:23
Got to agree with kwikenz, so many students on a full time course were working fulltime. Then complain when they run out of time. I guess it really shows which students are keen and those who are not....and will become "problem" pilots later on.

milkedstudent
18th Oct 2009, 19:09
Cant deny that some students have not shown full commitment to aviation courses and would not be there without a generous student loan scheme. That is not a good thing and will hopefully be addressed by Anne Tolley quickly.

Not all students effected here should be tarred as "problematic" when simply trying to get what they have paid for to whitirea. There have been delivery problems at heliflight for all students this year, ask the instructors if students complaints hold no weight.

Whitirea have signed up many willing students for courses (Who wouldnt want to be a helicopter pilot?) with no understanding of industry or career prospects. Dont think they deserve to be left with the bill in this case.

Hughesy
18th Oct 2009, 21:23
"Doesnt look good for students who have had course run over time due to lack of machines "

Well if students (some students actually realise they are not gods gift to aviation) flew how they were trained to and kept to the rules.....like not flying in a LFA without permission with a passenger and then spudding it in then you would have had one more machine available. Helicopters dont grow on trees and are not a quick item to replace. If I owned one and I was approached by an operator who wanted to lease it.....I would be pretty cautious if the last one was pranged by a student.

I have also seen photos taken by some students while they are attempting sling loads :=

"ask the instructors if students complaints hold no weight."

I will do, seeing as I know all of them up there. I even trained a few of them.

Maybe its time to remove the student loan scheme, which will make it harder to get your licence but it will remove the people who arent really that keen.

End of an era.

nuthin
19th Oct 2009, 02:20
Sounds like Silver State, NZ styles here. Suggest all those milked students bandy together and find a lawyer pronto.

kwikenz
20th Oct 2009, 09:51
Couldn't agree more Ned. None of us a perfect but Andy has always been fair, patient and professional.

Times are no doubt tough in NZ aviation... the students at Heli-Flight could be in far worse hands. If anyone can make it work it'll be Andy!

Good luck to all for a fair outcome :ok:

Semi Rigid
12th Nov 2009, 01:01
What's the latest on this soap opera? Will Andy be living in the same wing as some of his previous 'notorious' clients if he attempts to re-enter NZ?

Semi Rigid
12th Nov 2009, 20:23
Oh okay Neville, so I take it that the 1.5 million has been returned to Whitireia Polytech (or whatever Government Education facility it came from) so it can be refunded to the NZ taxpayer?

wingperson99
17th Nov 2009, 09:12
so you've had no professional dealings with him at all and he's just your buddy then? Then I'm sure your opinion holds alot of cred then. Talk to the liquidators and his ex students and the people he owes money. you're digging a hole here mate where theres too much factual evidence for him and the likes of his supporters to crawl out of. is that you andy? hows life knowing you are wanted back in NZ. naughty boy tut tut

Southislander
17th Nov 2009, 09:14
Fled the country is a bit over the top considering he started a 4 on 4 off contract in april....I spoke with him a few weeks ago in auckland and was dealing with the issues as best he could.

I have always debated with him the issues over student loans and he even admits that the scheme should be over as the scheme is training too many and the standard of applicant is now very low as most of the keen ones have already been trained.

I see heliflights replacement is into the scheme in an even bigger way with 6 machines and full on advertising.......the polytecs cannot help themselves it seems!!!

Semi Rigid
18th Nov 2009, 01:30
Neville, just to clarify and it is no big deal, but he didn't 'start' heliflight he bought it as an existing business.