PDA

View Full Version : Ice Hockey in Dubai

Lucid
15th Oct 2009, 02:06
Can anyone provide me with some info on playing ice hockey in Dubai?

Teams? Ice times?

Thanks.

411A
15th Oct 2009, 03:07
Dubai has enough problems without ice hockey...in the desert is not a good fit, the team here in Phoenix just declared backruptcy and is in the hole for $75million, and climbing...:eek:

bcgallacher
15th Oct 2009, 04:19
The Hyatt Regency hotel in Deira has the only ice rink in Dubai that I know of - perhaps the new Dubai Mall has one - but I have never seen an ice hockey match all the time I lived there - some 3 1/2 years.

EGGW
15th Oct 2009, 04:32
Just ask any Canadian, they just know where these things happen http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley-flag1/smiley-7407.png Dubai Mall does indeed have an Ice Rink.

EGGW.

Saltaire
15th Oct 2009, 04:39
These people obviously don't live in Dubai. Three rinks including the one at the Hyatt. Al Nasr, been there for ions, and the new rink at the Dubai Mall. Check out the Dubai mighty camels and also a new more casual drop in league at the Dubai mall. Pretty darn good for the ME....game on.

sec 3
15th Oct 2009, 04:39
If you hurry up you can catch the tournament in Bangkok at the end of the month !:E

ridingthetops
15th Oct 2009, 07:33
Al Nasr ice rink, behind american hospital, hockey every sunday or tuesday.
New ice rink at Dubai mall,hockey every thursday morning at 8.30 with Emirates.go there and ask for details

BladePilot
15th Oct 2009, 09:55
Abu Dhabi has a full size ice rink, not sure if they play Hockey there though?

Dubaian
15th Oct 2009, 10:04
Yes the Hyatt Regency has an ice rink but it's too small for hockey. Al Nasr Leisure Land & the new Dubai Mall are suitable and I'm pretty sure there is a league running.

Terd Furguson
15th Oct 2009, 10:15
Dubai Mighty Camels (http://www.dubaimightycamels.com)

Wizofoz
15th Oct 2009, 15:07
So you mean 411A mouthed off about something he new nothing about? Who'd of thunk it!!

Also a rink in the new Stargate complex in Zabeel park.

RandyBMC
15th Oct 2009, 23:00
Ice hockey - you need to concentrate on making softball games :ok:

Lucid
16th Oct 2009, 20:55
Thanks..

:)

AMF
16th Oct 2009, 21:57
411A quote...Dubai has enough problems without ice hockey...

First, there is no "ice hockey", there is only Hockey, and it is never part of any problem. It is, however, the solution for most.

May it only increase and rightfully displace all other games, especially those 2 playground activities masquerading as sport, silly soccer and ridiculous cricket.

Amen

fatbus
17th Oct 2009, 06:59
its either Hockey or Grass Hockey

jetjockey737
17th Oct 2009, 14:26
Can you yanks and canadians, for once, realise that football was invented before the mighty US of A was even stumbled across. Being English, I have a right to request that when you are talking about 'the beautiful game' to anyone other than your fellow countrymen you call it football. Please don't call it soccer....it is not soccer, it is football. Despite the fact that they hardly ever kick the ball you insist on calling your beloved game football....surely it should be called something more appropriate such as 'rugby played by men in pads who continuously tap each others arses'.

Ice hockey is called hockey where it is the most popular version of the sport. Hence the fact that Americans, Canadians and Swedes etc call it hockey. In other parts of the world it is not the most popular form and therefore is referred to as Ice hockey.

sec 3
17th Oct 2009, 15:52
Being English, you have the right to eat good Indian food at your local pub and be referred to as a hooligan when you're out making an ass of yourself in some pub in another country. Saw your "poster boy" Beckham doing an interview recently, and he referred to the game as soccer ! As for hockey, guys who play really don't care much who knows or doesn't know about the game. They just enjoy it!:)

jetjockey737
17th Oct 2009, 18:46
SEC3...You are right, that is how I behave on a regular basis!! My local pub not only sells cold beer but also bloody good food...and I can't remember the last time I saw a curry on the menu. As well as that I dont get 'cut off' when I have had 2 pints. I should imagine that the interview with Becks was on an american channel...he is just playing the game making sure you guys understood him. Given the fact he comes across more intelligent than a lot of your past presidents he has probably realised he has to dumb it down for a large percentage of the population..and that really is saying something!!

As for your statement re hockey I am fully aware of that as I come from a hockey, as in Ice hockey, loving and playing family.

Just to clarify its football not soccer....

JJ.....Nottingham panther!!

sec 3
17th Oct 2009, 19:58
Hockey in the UK ? Hahaha I can just imagine!!:}

Canoehead
18th Oct 2009, 14:14
Just to further clarify or perhaps muddle the issue: all hockey played on ice is called hockey. To call it ice hockey betrays you as a wannabe.

There is also ball hockey, played on urban back streets by aspiring NHL stars. (this is good as it sharpens reflexes). And then there is field hockey and ringuettes, one played with large sticks and plastic balls, the other with round sticks and felt pucks. Both are for girls and sissies.

sec 3
18th Oct 2009, 14:51
Good one canoebrain ! One little change though, girls, sissies and ice hockey playing brits !:}

atpcliff
19th Oct 2009, 23:46
Hi!

All my equipment is in the US, and I think it will cost a lot to ship it to DBX. Can you buy stuff in DBX, or, might it be cheaper to have it shipped???

cliff
NBO

jinglied
20th Oct 2009, 04:48
..Cliff..

Nope, you cannot buy gear here in Dubai. Both rinks, Al Nasr and Dubai mall have a small shop, but only with odd's and end's. Sorry

Sec 3..

Believe it or not, there is hockey in UK. I've seen it once or twice on layover's. It is, overall, quite poor. Probably a full level below junior hockey in Canada. Having said that, junior hockey can be very good!

JetJockey737..

"My local pub not only sells cold beer but also bloody good food...and I can't remember the last time I saw a curry on the menu. As well as that I dont get 'cut off' when I have had 2 pints"

.."Bloody good food"?..Hardly. if you said bloody good pub food, I would agree. Look around at the clientelle in your average pub, hardly healthy, active looking people. Eat that food regularly, it'll kill you. The beer though I'll admit is good. I saw curry on the menu not long ago. And where have you been "cutoff" after 2 pints"? Never happened to me, but then again I'm not an English hooligan. :}

"I should imagine that the interview with Becks was on an american channel...he is just playing the game making sure you guys understood him. Given the fact he comes across more intelligent than a lot of your past presidents he has probably realised he has to dumb it down for a large percentage of the population..and that really is saying something!!"

...Beckham sounds like he's four years old, hardly an example of a good speaker.

...Your "beautiful game" as you like to call it has been used in Canada to show our up-and-coming young hockey players HOW NOT TO PLAY A SPORT. The site of those soccer stars crumpling over at the tiniest, weekest, "tap', and rolling around on the turf makes me laugh out loud. Just a bunch of babies/Pre-Madonna's more concerned about their hairstyle than the game. As a young hockey player myself, when I got hit hard, if I didn't get right back up into the play, I'd better really be hurt or my own player's were all over me!! And to see the soccer fan's get sucked right into those antics makes it all the more ridiculous. But you are right, we should not call it Soccer. A better name might be......DIVING

Jinglie'd

etz
20th Oct 2009, 07:15
I went to a fight recently and a hockey game broke out.:}

The Trappist
20th Oct 2009, 07:32
For the best info on'Hockey' you might not do much better than here:
Hockey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey)

For the 'Beautiful Game' (?) in all its forms then here:
Football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football)

N.B. I think you'll find that both originals started in good old 'Blighty'!;)

jetjockey737
20th Oct 2009, 12:21
Jinglied..

Believe it or not, there is hockey in UK. I've seen it once or twice on layover's. It is, overall, quite poor. Probably a full level below junior hockey in Canada. Having said that, junior hockey can be very good!

Try saying that to the ex NHL/AHL/DHL players that are in the UK and the ex Elite League players that now play in the states. Admittedly the standard is not to NHL level but it is great to watch nonetheless. That said I prefer watching my 7 year old, first line centre, son play...but thats a personal choice!

.."Bloody good food"?..Hardly. if you said bloody good pub food, I would agree. Look around at the clientelle in your average pub, hardly healthy, active looking people. Eat that food regularly, it'll kill you. The beer though I'll admit is good. I saw curry on the menu not long ago. And where have you been "cutoff" after 2 pints"? Never happened to me, but then again I'm not an English hooligan.

Yep...its bloody good food. Brand it as pub food all you like but given that because of various reasons caused by our fabulous government, a pub closes a week in the UK and so some are turning great eateries. The food is healthy and a really good standard. I have never been cut off but saw it happen when I was in the states and it didnt happen to English hooligans!!

..Beckham sounds like he's four years old, hardly an example of a good speaker.

My point exactly....point proven!!

I agree with you 100% that someone needs to get some of these "professional" footballers and put them in some pads and send them out on the ice to learn how to behave like sportsmen. I must point out that this has crept in since foreign players took over the english leagues. Go on you tube and have a look at stuart pearce, des walker, mick hartford and vinnie jones....hardly the kind of players you would describe as pre madonnas!!!

TTFN

JJ x x

Carrier
20th Oct 2009, 15:06
There are two recognised Olympic and elsewhere sports whose Proper Names are “Hockey” and “Ice Hockey.” Ice Hockey is a later version of Hockey that is played on ice and is so called to differentiate it from Hockey. Hockey does not have or need an adjective to identify it, whereas the adjective “Ice” is needed to identify Ice Hockey.

“Hockey” is governed by the International Hockey Federation. (Fédération Internationale de Hockey sur Gazon, or FIH)
“Ice Hockey” is governed by the International Ice Hockey Federation. (note the adjective “Ice”)

Hockey is played on a grass pitch and Ice Hockey is played on an ice rink with the players wearing ice skates. Hockey is played with a hard round ball. Ice Hockey is played with a flat rubber puck. In Hockey only one side of the stick may be used to hit the ball, with no provision for left handed players, whereas in Ice Hockey the puck may be hit with either side of the stick. All member countries of the FIH follow the FIH rules. Hockey players keep to the rules and are rarely involved in heated disputes, let alone fights. In Ice Hockey two countries, the USA and Canada, do not adhere to IIHF rules and rink sizes but have their own modified rules and use non-regulation undersized rinks to facilitate cheating and brawling between the players, something that is quite normal in Ice Hockey in those countries.

Hockey players recognise that the highest honour in their game is to play for their country in World Championships, the Olympics and other International games, and do so even though it may cost them financially. The best Ice Hockey players, particularly Americans and Canadians, often refuse to play for their country in the World Championships because they can earn more in their domestic league games.

Worldwide, both Hockey and Ice Hockey are minor sports, with their following and participation in nearly all countries well below that for genuine worldwide international sports such as Association Football, Rugby Football and Cricket. Similarly American Football and Canadian Football are also minor sports with no significant following or participation outside of two countries. (Even in Canada many players in the Canadian Football League are American Football rejects.) Baseball is even more of a minor sport, effectively being confined to one country with a token franchise in the neighbouring country.

Those who have completed decent English language education above age 8 level in a genuine First World country and who have some sort of general knowledge and sports interest know the difference between Hockey and Ice Hockey. They also know the difference between a Proper Name and a Nickname. They know what an adjective is and when it needs to be used. While on the topic, note that “Soccer”, “Rugger” and “Gridiron” are nicknames, not Proper Names.

Saltaire
20th Oct 2009, 17:26
Good grief....I little one-sided perhaps?

Why is it that many of the poorest nations on earth produce some of the best football, cricket and rugby players and teams? answer... Money, or lack of it. Pure neccessity due to the only requirement being a field and a ball. They don't have the option of many other sports, which is why football is the most popular sport in the world.

Geography plays another large role in sports, and why hockey on grass is popular in Australia, for example. It is not even close to the popularity of the version on ice, played in colder nations such as the US, Canada, Russia, and many countries in northern europe and scandinavia. Hockey on grass is likely more "pure" as there is no money. Makes the decision easy doesn't it. Money in other sports is massive business and dictates most players and team decisions. Why are English football players scattered all over Europe. Why are the best South American players in Europe? Why is David Beckham in the US playing Soccer? MONEY.

Cricket and at times football are likely two of the slowest sports. Cricket can be played with a sweater and many players would hardly be described as elite athletes. Spectators can often be found napping during day long matches...Football can often lead to the riveting score of 0-0.

Names? Semantics, who cares. I'll take in a fast paced action sport anytime.

parvatti
21st Oct 2009, 03:04
Dubai Mighty Camels (http://www.dubaimightycamels.com/)

767-300ER
22nd Oct 2009, 15:11
http://site.despair.com/images/dpage/whining03.jpg

Scooby Don't
23rd Oct 2009, 04:09
Almost time for another street hockey game eh, Canoehead?

I must, however, take some exception to the notion that field hockey is for wusses. The ball is rock hard and it's possible to make a pretty decent 3-wood shot with it. That hurts if you're in the way. Also, the field hockey stick is a better weapon than a regular (ice) hockey stick.

highnlow
23rd Oct 2009, 13:05
And yes, they play hockey on ice in the UAE ;)

Left Coaster
23rd Oct 2009, 15:54
Holy Sh*t Carrier! What Fu**in side of the Fu**in bed did youse friggen wake up on eh? You friggen bashed the True North on another thread and now youse is friggen bashin our national sport! Drop em! Let's go! I'll frikken JERSEY ya! (To be taken as hockey humour and as a side note, the language used on the ice is WAY worse than the weak attempt here... just hoping the mods don't drop me! Friggen losers!)

Mack Number
24th Oct 2009, 00:31
The Bangkok "Land of Smiles" tournament is next week starting Oct 28th until the 31st.

The Gulf Scorpions (Abu Dhabi expat team) will be there, as is a local team (Abu Dhabi Ice Hockey Club).

Also participating will be expat teams from Singapore, Hong Kong, Taipei, Shanghai, Tokyo, Bangkok, K.L. and Macau. There are also local teams from these countries. There are also visiting teams from Switzerland and Germany.

Quite a few pilots play, especially from Hong Kong, Dubai and Singapore. Some of the Dubai Mighty Camels are pilots, and although they aren't participating as a team this year, guys might go and try to hook-up with a team in Bangkok anyway.

Game on! (Canadian expression from playing street hockey. When a car comes, you have to move the net aside, and everyone takes a break. After it passes you put the net back and restart-hence game on). (As seen in the movie Wayne's World). :ok:

Scooby Don't
24th Oct 2009, 05:09
Imagine the look of bemusement on the face of an Indian security guard, riding a bicycle along a wide walkway lined with the walls of back yards, when a bunch of ex-pats yell "CAR!" and stop hitting a ball with sticks until he passes. Well, ya had to be there, eh?