PDA

View Full Version : Who broke the Internet?

Michael Birbeck
14th Oct 2009, 11:16
Sweden lost connection to the internet for an hour so the Telegraph tells us.

Sweden loses its internet connection - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/sweden/6324233/Sweden-loses-its-internet-connection.html)

If true surely this is a first and someone must be looking for a new job? A complete loss of a country's connectivity!

Any Swedish PPRuNers or UK businesses impacted by this?

Apparently a single missing full stop at the end of the code meant that the Domain Name Systems (DNS) failed to recognise .se as the “top-level" (country-wide) domain.

Seems to have been caused by caching. I pity the folks who ran the script!

Ancient Observer
14th Oct 2009, 11:26
Maybe they did it deliberately?

Strikes me as a good thing to do. The Internet only started less than 30 years ago, and human kind and everything else on this planet had existed perfectly well without it for thousands of years...........

Shakespeare didn't need it, neither did da Vinci, and the Victorian engineers achieved rather a lot without it.

All those traders at the Cape seemed to do quite well for hundreds of years without it.

My garden would be in better condition if it didn't exist.

Michael Birbeck
14th Oct 2009, 11:31
No internet Ancient Observer would mean, I can hardly bear to say this, no PPRuNe! :sad:

Capetonian
14th Oct 2009, 11:34
This isn't a first. A few months ago parts of West Africa lost internet connectivity for a few days.

During that time there was a marked decrease in the amount of scam emails coming in. Pure coincidence of course.

Guest 112233
14th Oct 2009, 14:36
What happened, where and why ?. The internet is a beautifull cobbled togather bag O'Nails. - Its great for things like PPRuNe, but as a medium for "Command and Control" its origional purpose or commerce and communication,its now primary function. A new structure is needed. The internet lacks a fundamental layer in its structure and that is; authentification (of users by other users). where is this request stream comming from ? is/are it/they reputeable - A though one to fix.

A great idea in theory but flaky in practice. A great example of a great idea that gradually fell apart because its scale of use and function exploded outside the universe of discourse of its origional domain of purpose.

I wonder if every internet connection could be secure in the Secure Sockets sense. (The little padlock to you and me.)

CAT III ( Should this be in the computer thread stream.Its almost philosophy)

Ancient Observer
14th Oct 2009, 17:13
MB
yup - hence my comment about my garden

mixture
14th Oct 2009, 17:18
I wonder if every internet connection could be secure in the Secure Sockets sense. (The little padlock to you and me.)

Fat chance of that happening, infact fat chance of anything as granular happening.

Just look at all the mess surrounding IPv6 if you don't believe me .....

Mike-Bracknell
14th Oct 2009, 19:09
Just look at all the mess surrounding IPv6 if you don't believe me .....

Hehehe - I remember being talked to for hours by FTP Software Ltd (the creators of PC-TCP) about the benefits of IPv6, and being told that within a year everyone would be on IPv6.

That was in 1994.

(admittedly I did keep them talking as the saleswoman was an utter fox) :)

Saab Dastard
14th Oct 2009, 19:26
That was in 1994.

Wasn't it still IPnG then - "next Generation"?

SD

Mike-Bracknell
14th Oct 2009, 22:51
Wasn't it still IPnG then - "next Generation"?

SDIt may well have been. I do remember having to invite her back to talk to me about it a few months later (any excuse eh) and they were definitely the first people to refer to it as IPv6.

We didn't buy any of their software anyway, as we were locked into a sitewide deal for Sunsoft's PC-NFS at the time.