PDA

View Full Version : Value of local AED currency

eff aye
14th Oct 2009, 04:22
Hi all, I may be going across to Dubai as EK cabin crew in the near future. I did some research and found out I could expect to earn 6000 AED a month after allowances. Honestly I'm a bit concerned to find out that won't convert much back into Aussie dollars... Would 6000 a month local currency hold me in good stead over there? I've heard everything is expensive but I would greatly like any expats or crew opinions. It's a big decsion to make. Thanks in advance. Matt

sheikhmahandy
14th Oct 2009, 05:49
Maybe try the same post in the cabin crew threads, you may get a more realistic answer.:confused:

eff aye
14th Oct 2009, 07:11
Thanks, I took your advice and posted it with the CC.

Dubaian
14th Oct 2009, 10:54
Since the thread is here a response.
6,000 Dirhams is approx £1,000 at today's rate of around 6 to the GPB. In the past year it has been as high as 7 but as low as 5. At present the AED is fixed to the US$ so as the dollar fluctuates the Pound and the Euro appear to fluctuate locally.
Now if you have free accommodation and not too high expectations of saving or a riotous lifestyle, you could probably get by. But it's not a great amount. I'm a boring old f**t of a consultant - not CC. Let's see what they say over there.....
Cheers

eff aye
14th Oct 2009, 23:36
Haha thanks Dubaian! It's all good advice at this point. I appreciate it

BigGeordie
15th Oct 2009, 04:43
If you are in company accommodation then you don't have to worry about rent, water, electricity or any other housing costs. Transport to and from work is provided and so are meals while you are at work- and you will be at work a lot! Obviously you have a uniform and the cleaning of that is also paid for by the company.

What I'm getting at is that although 6,000Dhs a month isn't a fortune it is basically pocket money. You can spend the whole lot on going out every night (when you aren't at work!) and you can still get by.

There are drawbacks to the company running your life for you like this but from a financial point of view it makes budgeting very easy. Just try to resist the temptation to run up a load of debt as soon as you arrive. Aircrew are some of the few people still able to borrow money in Dubai so all the credit card salesmen will be focused on you!