PDA

View Full Version : Flt Lts Dicky Wright and Sean Casabayo

30mRad
13th Oct 2009, 21:11
Dear All

It is 10 years tomorrow since Flt Lt Dicky Wright (Ex-31 Sqn) and Flt Lt Sean Casabayo (Ex-IX(B) Sqn and Ex-XV(R) Sqn) were tragically killed in an accident near Newcastle.

Please take a moment tomorrow (14 Oct) to remember 2 fine aviators taken doing the job they loved.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

I'll raise a glass to you both tomorrow night remembering that day and night at RAF Leuchars when we (31 Sqn) were told the news.

Thoughts and prayers to their families, loved ones and friends.

30 mRad

Mods: Could this be made a sticky for a few days?

Pure Pursuit
13th Oct 2009, 22:09
I can't believe it has been ten years.

On that day, I was sitting in the ops room at Spadeadam, selecting a host of SAMs to provide an EW footprint for the pair of Tornados (Mantis?) due in. I remember the first jet coming in, under some skoshy wx & heading North to Lossie after a single run through the range.

Not long after he left freq & went home with ScATCC, Dicky & Sean made several attempts to get in under the wx, too busy to answer the radio & well, we all know the rest.

I will never forget being on the phone to Newcastle after seeing your friends drop off the scope as the reality of what had just happened dawned on the controller at Newcastle and everyone in the ops room at Spadeadam. I sat & looked at dash 1 wearing a ScATCC squawk & feeling such sadness for them with the news that awaited their arrival at XV(R).

Gut wrenchingly sad.

I shall raise a glass for them tomorrow.

RIP

FlightTester
13th Oct 2009, 23:50
Gone but not forgotten. I never knew Sean. Dick was one of the finest gentleman aviators I ever had the pleasure of working with. Just an all round decent man.

Craven Moorhed
14th Oct 2009, 06:49
2 great guys as I remember them ; can't believe it's been 10 yrs !

Godspeed chaps....

Jellybrain
14th Oct 2009, 09:12
A terrible day, I was at Valley instructing when news broke of their sad loss. I flew many times with Bayo on the ton and was at Bruggen with him although on another sqn. Fantastic golfer and snooker player and even funnier in the crewroom with all of his exploits causing many tears of laughter rolling down many faces. We will all miss them, but will never forget them.

AdLib
14th Oct 2009, 13:42
Fine words FT and JB. That was a terrible day.

Raising a glass to you tonight boys ...

Lmnav
14th Oct 2009, 18:15
Cannot believe it was 10 years ago. I was on a Refresher on XV at the time and was airborne when the boys crashed. Both were top guys and are sadly missed. It was a very sad day but I must say that it was all handled in an extremely sensitive and professional manner by OC XV and his staff at the time.
It was also a very big night in the bar - I think.

Cows getting bigger
14th Oct 2009, 18:19
Similarly, Mike Andrews and Steve Todd at Shap on 22 October 1999.

Farm-for-sale
14th Oct 2009, 18:23
Did the EWI course with Sean and found out he was the most incredible lead singer... Wowed the Karaoke crowd every night! Dicky was most definitely the gentleman, and I had the pleasure of flying with him at Bruggen. Tragic loss, but they left a lot of very fine recollections...
Cheers... Out

Sootakin
14th Oct 2009, 19:48
I didn't know Sean unfortunately but knew Dicky well having gone through the training mill in the same era. A warmer, more rounded bloke would be a rare find. When my course was in the poo for a slightly singed door in the THOM mess he was a loyal supporter who helped keep the feds at bay.
The wake in the Cosford mess was awesome complete with the repeated tannoy baiting of Wg Cdr S Cribbly whose continuous demands for less noise were ignored by all...........Dick would've loved that.

N Joe
14th Oct 2009, 20:04
Still remember hearing the news and seeing Dicky's name pop up on Ceefax - can't believe it's 10 years ago!

Last saw him in Goose a few months before the crash but will remember him most for his antics on IOT.

RIP Mate

N Joe

Cows getting bigger
22nd Oct 2009, 18:52
Mike, it was about this time 10 years ago that I was sat at Cairo West and I heard the horrible news. Mary, Courtney and family, Mrs CGB and I are thinking about you all tonight.

titaniumfire
22nd Jul 2012, 19:38
I'm taking a GA aircraft up to Newcastle & Scotland - I'd like to fly-past and pay my respects. I understand it was 'under' the Newcastle western stub but if anyone has a better information I'd be most grateful.

RIP

Pure Pursuit
23rd Jul 2012, 06:35
I was in the ops room at Spadeadam when the crash happened.

The crash occurred about a mile and a half south east of Kirheaton. If you draw a line between Kirheaton and Ingoe, you won't go far wrong.

titaniumfire
23rd Jul 2012, 08:50
Thanks Pure Pursuit.

I've created a google map of the area - please can you review

ZD809 Crash Site (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=
212451571870208487139.0004c57b206807a82dc5f)

If anyone has more info then please reach out :ok:

Thanks.

Pure Pursuit
23rd Jul 2012, 15:57
Titaniumfire,

Check your PMs

titaniumfire
24th Jul 2012, 19:40
Thanks both @pure pursuit @airpolice

titaniumfire
31st Jul 2012, 14:47
Thanks to PP and others who helped out.

ZD809 - Google Maps (http://goo.gl/maps/Tj6lj)

I took an SR22 up there at the weekend and flew a quick circuit along the line on the map. VV close to Newcastle zone (unsurprisingly). I've been meaning to go there and I'm pleased that I had the opportunity to do so. A bit of a mixed bag weather wise. I even went and flew the M6 pass (the wrong way round) on the way home! A grand day out and managed pay my respects to DW & SC. Thanks for all of your help. TF

sturb199
1st Aug 2012, 21:02
RIP Guys,

Never knew them but rememberthe day and night well. I was one of the first RAF MRT Troops on scene fromLeeming at the time and spent a rather sombre afternoon GPS plotting the crash site,identifying the ADR and confirming that both crew were present, a sad day.

One lasting memory is thevillage hall we stayed at during the PCM phase, it had a wee pub attached thatwas only open one day a week and that happened to be the day we were there.Lots of 'old school' TRiM practitioning that night!

Stu Mc