PDA

View Full Version : Windows live

Rwy in Sight
13th Oct 2009, 08:31
Any one having some experience with windows live? Any major drawbacks or things I need to be aware of when installing?

Sprogget
13th Oct 2009, 08:43
I use it for email, but only as Outlook Express has been booted out of Windows 7. No problems here, except that my contacts folders now live in two separate places for email & fax contacts. In O.E. I had the choice of creating folders within contacts to make life easy - not any more.

Otherwise, I don't use the other services offered with Windows live I.e. messenger, moviemaker etc.

Rwy in Sight
13th Oct 2009, 09:28
I am looking mainly for chatting as an alternate to the facebook. How easy it is?

Rwy in Sight

Mike-Bracknell
13th Oct 2009, 19:17
Windows Live Messenger - aka MSN Messenger - is a piece of cake :ok:

Capetonian
13th Oct 2009, 21:09
I had to install it when I changed from XP to Windows 7, mercifully bypassing the dreaded Vista.

I had a brief flirtation with Thunderbird, which I found unstable, it lost my inbox and contacts twice, although I found out later that may have been due to a corrupt disk problem. I preferred the look and feel of T/bird, and I find Windows Live seems less robust and fiddlier than Outlook Express. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

Keef
13th Oct 2009, 21:16
I reckon it's worth persevering with Thunderbird. I use it on all my machines, and rate it highly.

It does have the same annoying habit as Outlook, of burying your mail folders deep in the bowels of the file system. That can be changed, should you wish to do so.

It does keep the mail in a wide selection of separate folders, so is far less likely to lose the lot. I well remember the joys of Outlook.pst and its tendency to elope.