PDA

View Full Version : Validity dates - LPC - Timezones?

AnFI
12th Oct 2009, 13:30
On whose midnight does a rating expire?

Local time ?
GMT?
BST?

Maybe the timezone where the validity period was established?

Is a rating expired in Australia still current in Los Angeles?

Is there a statutorily correct answer to this...?

(........ Does anyone care?)

AnFI:rolleyes:

Whirlygig
12th Oct 2009, 13:41
Timezone where the licence was issued would make sense but it's only a day (at the most) away from being invalid anyway?

Cheers

Whirls

TiPwEiGhT
12th Oct 2009, 13:56
I don't anybody is that bothered by a few hours here and there. But if so I would go with state of issue.

TiP

bb in ca
12th Oct 2009, 14:05
For some of us our state of issue has many many time zones and we never fly there.

My guess would be local time wherever you are located.

puntosaurus
12th Oct 2009, 21:14
Academic, I think. but if you had to guess at the intent of the regulators then the rating validity period would be measured against the clock of the place where it was issued. The reasons for choosing a year's validity may be quite arbitrary, but a year is still a year wherever you end it !

TeeS
12th Oct 2009, 22:33
Perfectly acceptable to continue flying in a time zone that makes the check current, even if has expired in the time zone of issue (subject to the licence itself being acceptable to the authorities in the current time zone!)

However this is only valid when flying on true tracks from 180 clockwise through to 360 degrees. Flight on other tracks will result in gradual fading of the relevant signatures.

Regards

TeeS :ok:

Camp Freddie
12th Oct 2009, 23:25
(........ Does anyone care?)

I don't anybody is that bothered by a few hours here and there

Academic, I think.

I dont know what the answer is, but you guys cant be living in the same world as me if you actually believe the above comments, you can bet your life that following a incident, it suddenly would become the most important thing in your life ever, especially if there was a loss of life or damage to the aircraft/property. in the litigious world we live in, if it turned out you were out of check even by 5 minutes you would have your arse sued !

regards CF

AnFI
13th Oct 2009, 21:32
.... you can't just 'not care' whether your rating is valid or not !

.... so there is no agreed answer then?

(surely if the date is still a current date where you fly then it must be ok?)

AND ANOTHER THING !

"VALID UNTIL" ? until is NOT inclusive - so why is a day 'subtracted' - (effectively twice!):zzz:

puntosaurus
14th Oct 2009, 10:03
It's a good question, and nobody seems to have the definitive answer. I think you could make a good case for your interpretation, since it is after all what it says on your ratings page. But at the same time certainly all the UK and JAR legislation refers to years from date of issue, and the clock on that must surely start and stop ticking at the place of issue. I do appreciate that gives six monthly OPCs an extra hour's validity in the winter, and one hour less in the summer thanks to daylight savings time !

Re. your point about subtraction, for a new rating in the UK at least, you get from the moment you've passed the test, till midnight the day before a year's hence. The only bit you're 'losing' is from midnight to the moment you pass the test, and if you're worried about that, then schedule your checks for the earliest possible moment in the day ! Thereafter (again in the UK), you can revalidate up to three months in advance of the expiry with no loss to the original expiry date. In other words you're actually gaining three months rather than losing anything.

212man
14th Oct 2009, 11:47
Punto, I think his point was that 'until' is not inclusive, so a rating valid 'until the 30th', will expire at midnight on the 29th and could not be exercised on the 30th. Personally, I think the expression is a contraction of "valid until (the end of) the 30th." That is probably a more important topic for discussion than the time zone issue!

AnFI
14th Oct 2009, 14:16
212 ,man - yes that is the point! and you are almost definately right right !

..... and it is more important since no-one seems to know when their ratings are valid till ! :ugh:

It must be a contraction of
"valid until (the end of) the 30th."

Unfortunately the contraction changes the meaning to "expires midnight 29th" !

It is also difficult distinguish it from the contraction of the phrase:

"valid until (sometime around) the 30th"
or
"valid until the 30th (plus 24hours)"
:)

puntosaurus
14th Oct 2009, 17:06
Sorry for missing your point, but as Saki said "a little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation" !

The phrase 'valid until' as used in UK ratings IS inclusive. A rating valid until 30th, is valid until midnight on 30th, not midnight on 29th.

I'm not defending the CAA's grammar because I acknowledge it has the potential for confusion, and have asked this very question in the past as a result. Try negating the statement 'valid until 30th', and I suggest you'd probably say 'not valid after 30th'. That would more clearly point to the intended meaning.

Camp Freddie
14th Oct 2009, 23:21
puntosaurus and 212man are clearly right

forgetting the time zone thing, in lasors 2008 section F page 4(validity periods of ratings) from the CAA website its says:

"therefore a rating issued on, say 15th august 2006 will remain valid until 14th august 2007"

which is a year, if it was only to the 13th it wouldnt be a year :confused: and we know ratings are for a year because it says so in the same para

it makes no sense at all to interpret this as meaning until close of play on 13th august when it clearly means 23:59:59s on the 14th, you guys are trying to make something simple complicated again :)

regards CF

Whirlygig
14th Oct 2009, 23:31
So, does that mean if my UK issued JAA licence expires at 23:59:59s on the 14th, I am still OK to fly in the US, say Seattle with an 8 hour time difference,on the 14th at 17:00 local time?

There doesn't appear to be a definitive answer. I'm guessing that it wouldn't be valid but that's just a guess.

Cheers

Whirls

puntosaurus
15th Oct 2009, 05:54
Hang on there whirlygig, there's a good business idea in there. Let's start a new FTO in the Kiribati Islands with the strapline:

Come train in the Pacific - Our ratings last longer ...
:}.

AnFI
15th Oct 2009, 23:52
NO - CF you just don't get it do you.?

Untill the 14th does not include the 14th therefore untill the 14th means, in English level6, untill the start of the 14th NOT the END of the 14th - you must work for the ***!? - You use a different kind of English...?;)

Edit to remove ID info (sorry)

Camp Freddie
16th Oct 2009, 00:13
AnFI,

no i dont get it, i can only assume you are in wind up mode now :)

15th august, date of check = 1st day
14th august, date of expiry = 365th day

so thats 1 year isnt it. 13th august would be 364 days (not a year)

what we need is Flying lawyer to help us out here.

EDIT - i have just realised that AnFI was mixed up with that luton/harrods handling row last year, so its obviously a waste of time continuing any further with this, as you sound like someone who would insist that an encyclopedia was wrong if it disagreed with your point of view.

regards CF

pitchlink
16th Oct 2009, 07:01
Whirls, yes you should still be able to fly in the US as JAA license validations should be signed up until the end of the month of issue. So a check signed on the first should be validated to the end of the month a year on.

212man
16th Oct 2009, 07:19
JAA license validations should be signed up until the end of the month of issue.

Only true for pilots flying for a UK JAR OPS-3 AOC holder (to help align the check with their OPCs.) Not true for many.

Regardless, doesn't address the point being raised by the questioner - have another read through the responses...

AnFI
16th Oct 2009, 07:35
CF - I mean no disrespect -sorry if that was i bit too firmly stated.

I do understand that the rating is intended to be a year...

The point was whether "valid until" was being used correctly....

..... It would be good to get this right (wouldn't it?)

AnFI

Whirlygig
16th Oct 2009, 08:06
Agreed; linguistically, "until 14th August" means up to midnight on the 13th.

It would be more correct (or less incorrect?) to title that column on the ratings page, "Expires on" with a footnote to explain expiry is at midnight, local time.

Cheers

Whirls