PDA

View Full Version : The best ATPL theory books?

amateur
12th Oct 2009, 07:24
Hi people,

I am starting to study for the dreaded ATPL theory. Ive been using the Advanced Flight Theory (AFT) study books. Full of info but just waaay too much waffle and text for me. Does anyone know of some good ATPL books that are more to the point- preferably with some good diagrams. I am mainly after Systems/Aerodynamics Flight Planning and Performance/Loading texts

Cheers

aircabbie
12th Oct 2009, 07:42
Serious !!

AFT is the only text to use . Nathan prides himself on not having to much Waffle and text. His prac exams are spot on and the guy that writes this waffle writes the casa EXAM!!

Take Met for example, exam 30 questions and id seen all of them in his waffle before i went into the exam ...

Rob Avery
Cavin Secombe
Flight Center

Try these and good luck ..

kalavo
12th Oct 2009, 07:58
Hehe that's funny. The most common criticism I've heard of AFT is there isn't enough text, and if you haven't flown commercially and IFR before, then there probably isn't enough waffle for the point to sink in and pass the exam.

ATC will waffle more than AFT...
Rob Avery might have a bit less waffle and more diagrams for the likes of flight planning, but also tends to round off too much occasionally getting the wrong answers in the exam.
Heard good things about Gavin Seacombe... but again, that was because he provided more information than AFT, so probably not what you're looking for.

aircabbie
12th Oct 2009, 08:03
If you don't like Waffle best you go sit in Gavins course .. Great guy knows his stuff ..LOL

training wheels
12th Oct 2009, 08:18
I am starting to study for the dreaded ATPL theory. Ive been using the Advanced Flight Theory (AFT) study books.

I don't know about others, but I actually found the ATPL theory quite interesting. It certainly wasn't something I dreaded studying for. For fear of sounding like a geeky knob head, :8 I actually quite enjoyed sitting the exams. I used to love pressing the "submit answers" button, and then sit through the long and painful wait for your score to appear on the screen! It was such a big buzz to see your score appear > 70 and knowing that you've successfully knocked one off. When I finished my last one, Flight Planning, there was a sad feeling as I left the ASL exam centre for the last time and never to see the testing officer ever again.

Sorry for the digression ... but the point I want to make is that the ATPL exams should not be dreaded. The content is interesting; the exams are challenging (compared to the Mickey Mouse exams of other licensing authorities), and when you do finish all of them, you do feel a great sense of achievement.

As for the best way to prepare for them, AFT is definitely the go. I definitely didn't think the notes are waffle at all; infact, you'll find that the AFT notes do get straight to the point, sometimes a little too quickly in my opinion (whereby you then needed to email their support line to clarify a few things).

I also used notes from the other popular providers and have to admit that Rob Avery's notes are also very good (although he needs to update some of his questions for flight planning, where he uses waypoints on charts that have long disappeared on the ERCs). Infact, Rob's texts are probably much better for Aerodynamics and Systems than AFT's.

Do take some time to look at other resources as well, eg the Bureau of Met's Manual is an excellent resource, and quite underused for exam preparation IMHO.

Good luck with it all! :ok:

206greaser
12th Oct 2009, 13:28
Yup tried AFT (Law & Systems), and Secombe's for the rest.

AFT is very much on the money as far exams go. I found their notes direct, and accurate. I would definitely recommend AFT for Systems. I did that one second last, and was a bit nervous as i'd heard it was quite tough. After a ton of study, i pretty much sailed through it.

Secombe, far out talk about commitment! He seemed to take a genuine interest in you knowing the stuff, and passing the exams. His texts for the most part are pretty good. Having said that i did switch to AFT specifically for Systems. When it comes to exams, his are TOUGH! If you are passing Gavin's exams i'd be surprised if you didn't make it on the day. Sitting the real Flight Planning exam was a dream compared to his! He really goes for accuracy in his tests.

Cheers,
Greaser

amateur
12th Oct 2009, 14:06
Not too much waffle- serious? The AFT flight planning book is so thick it weighs more than me! There was so much text by the time i got to the bottom of the page id totally forgotten what was all the way up the top :ugh: Rob Avery's text is like one billionth of the size and way easier to digest! But im definetely doing the AFT Questions. As for training wheels- haha:8 pffft who enjoys exams?- particularly when one could be outside soaking up some sunrays or making use of this wonderful flying weather:ok:

ZappBrannigan
13th Oct 2009, 00:00
I used to love pressing the "submit answers" button, and then sit through the long and painful wait for your score to appear on the screen!It's a really, really long 12-15 seconds :)

Generally followed by "Yesssssss!!!", "ehh, not too bad", "dammit, just scraped it in", or ":mad: this :mad:ing :mad:". Luckily haven't had the last one yet.

Re: "waffle" in the ATPL theory books - don't know about you guys, but I see this material as more important than "stuff I have to learn for 2 months, pass the exam, then brain-dump it". I like the fact the AFT material is comprehensive, and I won't be complaining about too much information in the study materials. Learn to extract the specific teaching points from the "waffle" and plug them into your head the best way you know.

amateur
13th Oct 2009, 02:16
Geez im getting hounded for the "waffle" comment- i take it back! haha. I just want a systems text with some good diagrams- the aft ones just arent doing it for me.

j3pipercub
13th Oct 2009, 13:10
I don't know about others, but I actually found the ATPL theory quite interesting.

Training wheels, you're a bent unit.:} I'm kidding, it's nice to find someone else who found it interesting.

j3

gaijin
13th Oct 2009, 17:28
I did mine with the Avery books. I passed in spite of them not because of them. Waffle or not, try to understand what they are saying, then, when the curly ball arrives you'll have a better chance of hitting it. Avery does not prepare you for the curly ball, in my opinion. Good luck with whichever you choose.

ozblackbox
13th Oct 2009, 22:40
Definitely stick with AFT!

This ATPL has probably been the most challenging thing I have ever done!

I self studied MET and Human Factors three years ago and passed with no issues using AFT books.

I've just been to Maroochydore with AFT and did Nav, Systems, Perf & Loading and Flight Planning. Missed Nav and redoing that very soon.

Self studied Air Law with AFT book, 2 days, and passed.

Nathan's course and theory notes are spot on but you still need to put in the hard work and ensure you do all Cyber Exams.

From the course I just did Flight Planning is definitely the "killer" exam and I would recommend that if you have the time and money do Flight Planning and Performance up there. If you're cashed up do the four big ones all up there....

Nathan is just brilliant! Those that have done his course will certainly agree. He lives and breathes aviation and his knowledge is impeccable.

Cyber Exams are in the process of being/have been updated. They are just awesome preparation for the exam.

I was probably third or fourth oldest in the class. Found it tough going but enjoyable and did quite well considering.

I've had friends that self studied without the course and passed all seven in two to three months whilst working. You just have to be dedicated. Just beware that studying Flight Planning without the course will be very challenging and demanding.

Good luck with whichever way you do it.

The Green Goblin
13th Oct 2009, 23:36
I self studied the lot using AFT.

IMO if you don't use AFT you are selling yourself short. Systems is just lots of reading and memorizing which I found interesting. Flight Planning is easy, you just need to practice the concepts so you get fast at it. I was lucky enough to be flying a turbine aircraft and already doing most of the 'flight planning syllabus' in my daily flying.

performance and loading is very simple, just remember to consult 20.7.1b for certification requirements.

Airlaw is really just IREX all over again. If you are an instrument pilot you should be able to sit the exam without to much study.

Met is on par with CPL met apart from learning sigwx charts and grid charts. They are in your jepps/aip with instructions on how to use anyway.

HF is identical to the CPL, some say easier.

Nav is half a bit of reading and half practical application. I found the start of the second half of the AFT course notes the hardest to get my head around. Working backwards from the answers in the practice exams always worked for me.

Yes I found the ATPLs interesting and many things I learnt (such as SGR's) I use everyday.

chewi
13th Oct 2009, 23:41
The man who has the quickest way to the finishing line is Nathan at AFT!:ok:

Sierra-Kilo
15th Oct 2009, 03:36
I'm in the same boat amateur. Im using the AFT texts, im finding they are really good- tho i do agree i think systems and flight planning are going to be my downfall. I also have Avery's flight planning which is really good - very straight to the point and easy to digest. Though i would be wary because he does round off to0 much as i think someone said before. One thing ive noticed between AFT and Avery's FP text is that they actually provide conflicting information on what and where and how to round. I think i might stick with AFTs method.

Good luck!

Gibbo_335
14th Nov 2009, 05:10
YEP!!! Nathan Higgins is THE WAY TO GO!!!!!! :D Hands down the best texts and best way of teaching each subject. Can't recommend enough

Kwod
14th Nov 2009, 07:27
Have to agree that Nathan's material was good. You do have to put in the work, but he was always available to help.

archangel7
14th Nov 2009, 07:27
nice post training wheels, i couldnt agree anymore! it was a sad feeling walking away from the exam centre knowing you wont be sitting an exam there again but at the same time feeling pleased. ATLP's are a good achievement, it was a good feeling passing flight planning and when i passed the last one it was like having sex with a super model if not better!

ozblackbox
16th Nov 2009, 04:32
See my post above.

I just finished ANAV, my last one and am a happy camper. Should have done them years ago! - nonetheless finished....

I used AFT all the way and couldn't have imagined it any other way.

I think, if you have the time and money, definitely do Flight Planning and Systems in Maroochydore - it's well worth it.

The Cyberexams are brilliant and spot on the money. Perfect practice for the actual exam.

The Green Goblin
16th Nov 2009, 06:45
it was a sad feeling walking away from the exam centre knowing you wont be sitting an exam there again

I was ecstatic that the bastards would never get another cent out of me!

I was so sick of studying a subject, finding myself ready and trying to book an exam to find I could not get a slot for a couple of months!

The old duck at Jandakot and her Hubby (I think) Are they still there? :ugh:

Oh and it is not a requirement to wear a Full uniform with bars to an ASL exam :E

j3pipercub
16th Nov 2009, 11:13
Nah GG, the envigilator at ASL Mroochy is a classic, takes her job very very seriously...

I never used to wear 'Full' uniform, I used to try to go sans pants. Never succeeded, but hey, points for trying.

j3

Ps Whatever you do, DON'T do your level 6 there. Most CFI's will do it for anout half the cost (carton).

Sierra-Kilo
3rd Feb 2010, 10:27
Hi guys,

Just having a a few exam nerves. Have Systems and Met booked next week. Feeling confident with systems, however i have a question about the Met exam.

Ive read all Nathans theory and done all his text questions (havent tried the prac cybers yet) but whats the deal with the Govt manual of aviation meteorolgy book included? Im pretty busy, so I have skim read it, but im not sure how much time i should spend on it- Will just working on the AFT stuff suffice to get a very comfortable pass on the exam,or will i need to study this book thoroughly?

The Green Goblin
3rd Feb 2010, 10:46
That Met book is gold mate, I found it interesting and a must if you want to get a good understanding of the subject. However if you want to pass, you could probably pass without it provided you still have your CPL met fresh in your head.

tmpffisch
3rd Feb 2010, 11:13
For MET, having both the AFT text and the BOM text, read through both but base what you should know off the AFT practice exams. Any questions that come up that you don't know or are unsure about, read through both texts to ensure you are covered.

Reading5
14th Feb 2010, 01:40
:confused: Good luck to anyone doing the Aerodynamics and Systems exam. Just be aware that the practice exams aren't the be all end all to get you through the actual exam. I would suggest having a pretty good read, more reading and then a little more. I spent a few months and would advise rote learning won't be enough.

Thanks and good luck to others doing their exams.