PDA

View Full Version : China Airline Vancouver base

Carbondragon
11th Oct 2009, 03:51
I am considering taking a position with Air China based in Vancouver on the A 330. Is there anyone currently working for China Airline out of Vancouver to tell me about the company?
1-I would like to know what kind of roster I could expect and how much time I could actually hope to spend in Vancouver.
2- How is the company as an employer.
3-Are people generally happy there?
4-What are the destinations on the 330
5 How was the process to obtain the Chinese ATPL?

If there is anyone I could meet, I d pay for the coffee.

Thanks
CD

Panama Jack
11th Oct 2009, 03:59
China Airlines (the airline of Taiwan) or Air China (the airline of the People's Republic of China)? I ask because you ask about the Chinese rather than the Taiwanese ATP.

Carbondragon
11th Oct 2009, 04:13
I meant Air China...My bad

FO Cokebottle
11th Oct 2009, 04:33
Carbondragon,

I do not know where you get you information from but it is way off the planet if you are talking about China Airlines (CAL or CI) of Taiwan - the democratic China.

China Airlines has not recruited expats since about Mar 07.

CAL just had a 12 month period were HR did not renew any, I mean ANY, expat contracts. A lot of IPs and very senior expat captains were shown the door.

Fleet has just scored a "major victory" in now being allowed to offer a submission to HR to retain the better Expat pilots

The local cadet's training was suspended for eight months. A lot of guys hang'in in the ops libruary. Training has recommenced two months ago but with a catch..........and that catch is too draconian for me to discuss but when you think that you have no other choice you will sign anything.

So, to the point of you been offered a position on the A330, at CAL, ahead of the locals, at any level, is hard to believe.

I can only speak specifically for the B744 fleet - the Extended Lay Over (ELO) Vancouver base had been suspended for over 18 months and is not likely to be instituated again as you need a minimum of 10 expats to make it workable/cost effective for the airline - the reality is that its not for your convinence - and the fact that the number of expats (total) remaining in CAL, let aside the Canadians, is so low that it will most likely not be again.

The A340 currently does Vancouver for obvious reasons.

Cafe Late - no sugar :ok:

FO Cokebottle
11th Oct 2009, 04:36
Carbondragon,

Disregard all the above.:cool:

FO Cokebottle

Carbondragon
11th Oct 2009, 04:45
I just replied to an ad looking for 330 pilots based in Frankfurt Vancouver or Australia for Air China. Brookfield Aviation International sent me the terms and conditions within an hour. I guess it is a possibility they are just farthing around... we will see.
Just the same, If anyone has any info, let me know.

CD

paidinhours
11th Oct 2009, 07:41
I've met a few 330 guys in Beijing with Air China. It is true they have European, North American, and Australian bases for expat captains with more to come. I think most of the guys are with Parc aviation but not sure. I don't know too much details about the actual job but seems like a good contract so far. Still early days though.

Dune
25th Oct 2009, 11:17
Any updates on this contract from those either currently working this contract or having previous contact with agencies concerned with this contract:

-pay?
-rosters?
-commuting success?
-best agency?