PDA

View Full Version : ace the tech pilot interview

STATLER
10th Oct 2009, 17:51
I have an old copy of ace the technical pilot interview and was wondering if all the mistakes in my old book have been ammended in the lastest issue.

Thanks

EK4457
10th Oct 2009, 19:06
I got mine a year ago and it was littered with them.

It's good in a way as it keeps you on your toes and makes you think about the answers.

In a way it's also piss poor.

EK

Torque Tonight
10th Oct 2009, 19:24
I too bought a copy about a year ago on a recommendation. The first page that I randomly opened had a glaring and critical error (I think it was an incorrect formula for Coefficient of Lift). I picked another random page and found a couple of errors in the text. Then another page with an incorrectly drawn diagram.

The book is FULL of mistakes. It really shouldn't have passed quality control and the editor deserves a slap. The publishers really should have recalled the lot of them and had them pulped.

If you know enough to spot all the errors, you probably don't need the book anyway. If you can't spot the errors, this book could stitch you up.

Beware!

blueplume
11th Oct 2009, 16:44
The book is a load of rubbish. Don't waste your money buying it and your time reading it. The person who wrote it clearly has not experienced some of the things he talks about; it sounds like third-hand information poorly understood.
Feel free to quote me.

Of course the publisher is not going to make corrections. It's selling too well as it is.

A10Warthog
11th Oct 2009, 17:50
what books do you recommend then?

FrankAbagnale
12th Oct 2009, 10:40
All 14 of the Books you studied your ATPL from !:}

blueplume
13th Oct 2009, 08:21
As above, your own ATPL notes, plus:

Handling the Big Jets
Flying the Big Jets
The Rolls Royce Book "The Jet Engine"

and any background reading you may wish to do on the subject of Physics and Mathematics.

Too many people rely on stock questions and answers out of this book.

A330ETOPS
13th Oct 2009, 10:11
I've been for a few interviews in the Far East so far this year, and the majority of the questions and diagrams were exactly the same as in 'ACE the tech pilot interview' so in some respects i guess it's useful to see the type of questions you're likely to be asked, but i also agree in that there are a lot of mistakes in there so don't rely on it too much. Always back your answer up with another source if you're not too sure about it. Saying that, it's just basic ATPL stuff

blueplume
13th Oct 2009, 12:35
Yes, many of the pictures are well-known diagrams because they are borrowed from the same people (Rolls-Royce et.al.) to illustrate their own compilations.
Ace uses the same sources for diagrams; this does not mean that the book itself is any good. Beware and double-check everything you read in this book.
Better still, don't read it at all, you will end up doubting what you knew to be correct all along.

brummybirdlover
13th Oct 2009, 20:57
I bought a copy about three years ago, ended up binning it as it seemed pointless if you have to check everything in it. On a related note, be carefull when buying reference books from the pilot catalogues (eg Transair) as they often don't make it clear that whether the books are US or European. The differences in the theory stuff and I.R. courses are significant.

A10Warthog
14th Oct 2009, 08:12
Other than the ATPL books.
What inteview book will you recommend that strictly based on JAA.

blueplume
14th Oct 2009, 08:56
As far as I know there is no other book claiming to be the "Interview Bible", as ATPTI does. The latter seems to have become the excuse of choice due to its title.
Nothing prepares you better for an interview situation than confidence in yourself and knowledge based on facts. If you are trying for your first airline position the interviewer(s) know about your lack of experience so don't try to bull**** them. Nothing comes across clearer as BS than rote-learning with books like Ace.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear but I believe it's more useful to you.

GearDownFlaps
18th Oct 2009, 15:24
I agree entirely with BP, with the exception that most of the questions in ATTPI are from various sources that have experienced or even carried out these type of interviews. To that end it is possible to get an idea , if you havent already of the type and style of questions you may gat asked . It is all very well to say you can be asked anything from the atpl syllabus . Yes you can bt are you really going to sit up at night studying how many fire extinguishers and aircraft with 501 seats has???, This book gives you a steer in the right direction providing you are steered with the caevat that it is not to be completely relied on.
To that end how about those with good knowledge of which questions or rather answers are bollox post the question numbers or page numbers on here so that those that wish to use this book can strike through the offending drivel .
The fist and obvious one is the lift formula .
can anyone add to this

largegeorgejones
18th Oct 2009, 23:32
Have a look at a book called.. Get a head for the sky. Best interview book I have read by far. Get it from Amazon or their web site. All the preparation and advice to give you the confidence you need is in this book. A cut above all the rest by a long way.