PDA

View Full Version : The Puma Display - My part in its downfall!!?

lsh
10th Oct 2009, 12:15
How about some Puma display stories?

Some comments about Puma display have come up on the Catterick crash thread and I thought that a new thread would be the way to go.
It allows a bit of fun (and that would not be appropriate, or welcome, on the other thread).

1991 Odiham:
Two crews were nominated from the OCU and were "constituted crews", as per instructions from above.

On the day that the displays were to be validated other aircraft and crews from the Command arrived at ODI, to display in front of the AOC.
(I genuinely do not remember his name but was, I think, of "front room first" fame and had a gopping tartan name badge!)

At the last minute the other crewman could not be found, so I jumped in with "Jerry" (name changed) and it went fine.
The other crewman, "Dick", (name changed) arrived just in time to jump in with "Ges" (name changed).

Afterwards, despite his scary reputation, the AOC was quite charming and emphatic that throughout the season if there was a reason for us feeling unhappy with anything; the venue, the aircraft, anything at all, we should not display and would have his full and unequivocal support - regardless.

"Finally", he said, "it is quite clear to me from todays fine displays that my insistence on the constitution of crews for displays made a big difference"!!

Lots of smiles in the cheap seats!
lsh

(More to come and thanks to Spike for the title!)

Mmmmnice
10th Oct 2009, 13:46
Anyone recall a Puma role demo featuring the 'Green Marrows' at Odious in the 80s? Had everything - wazzing around, chasing bad guys in a "pinky', big wingovers with GM 4 bottoming out with sagging Nr........the ground cushion turned up just in time (everyone in-the-know watching so they couldn't be on the BOI - everyone else wondering if they could 'do it again')
Ah happy days

ShyTorque
10th Oct 2009, 23:21
Ask Dark Menace about his bent chinagraph from his time in my left seat (might have been jump seat back then).

And G** (name changed) about his bent tail rotor blades... Ahem...

lsh
11th Oct 2009, 09:32
The story about Ges (name changed) and the tail rotor blades was the next, exciting, instalment ...... and now you have spoiled it for everybody!
:ooh:
Woof!
lsh

airborne_artist
11th Oct 2009, 10:21
The scene - mid 1980s, on a week night. A Puma was tasked to train with a half-troop from the Kings Road squadron of the TA Hooligans.

Training went well, probably on Hanckley Common, and for reasons unclear in the mists of time, the pax were to be dropped off at Heathrow, and taken back to Chelsea by 4-tonner.

Rather than disembark at the shuffle, the patrol commander ordered a tactical exit, with the lads going to ground in a defensive arc, taking up firing positions with their gats. Which they did. In full view of the passenger terminal some 100m away.

BAA not amused, bills for underwear laundering a plenty.

Your beret, my office, no refreshments. How we laughed.

CirrusF
11th Oct 2009, 10:34
You can't beat this for a good display:

YouTube - Puma Helicopter Crash Landing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl6d6eUGz7Q)

ShyTorque
11th Oct 2009, 20:22
Oops, sorry, lsh!

You can tell the one about 33's effort - same thing, flew it home :eek:

Never did work out why the pilot of that accident in the video just didn't lower the lever, rather than hoicking it back into the air for an even better second accident

Usual thing, too much nose up on landing, tail "stinger" (what an appropriate name) touches the ground, breaking the front attachment, pivoting rear of stinger right into the tail rotor it's supposed to protect...... Endex.

lsh
11th Oct 2009, 20:54
I see your "Green Marrows" and raise you: "The Dangerous Brothers"
Lest we forget!
lsh

Roger Sofarover
12th Oct 2009, 17:27
Ish

Perhaps if you are going to use 'name changed', then change the bloody names;)
Names are known by those that know, and don't matter to those that don't.

oh and I have a Dangerous Brothers Badge;)

lsh
12th Oct 2009, 19:19
Precisely.........!!!!!!
lsh

St Johns Wort
13th Oct 2009, 19:21
:hmm: get a tee shirt then?

lsh
27th May 2010, 10:48
get a tee shirt then?

The above "gentleman" may wish to remember the display at 33 Sqn's families day?!

The CV he had submitted before the season start, for use by display commentators, had been replaced by a modified version provided by JS!

The crowd were thrilled to hear about his "whippet training" exploits and weekends wearing a "flat hat".
"Wheelchair supplied by medicare"... etc etc

lsh
:E
PS Was that the time you forgot the gear-up in the rearward climb?
(Or maybe it was me, one job in the whole display and blew-it!!)