PDA

View Full Version : Applying for job overseas

cimore000
10th Oct 2009, 11:13
I'm going to use Cathay Pacific as an example here.
I live in Australia and want to apply for a job in Cathay Pacific but one of the criteria says I must be a Hong Kong resident. How do people deal with this?
Is the pilot supposed to move to Hong Kong and apply and have a very slim chance of getting the job or can you apply while being an Australian resident and later become a Hong Kong resident after getting the job?
This is just a scenario I made up so I don't know if it does not make any sense.

Halfwayback
10th Oct 2009, 17:13
If it says you must be resident in a country to apply then that is what they require before you apply. It's a bit like saying 'It says I need an ATPL but I'll apply anyway because I'll soon have one!'

Countries / states have residency rules and in HK, which you use, it is difficult to get a residency permit; I think you have to live there on a working visa for four years before being eligible to apply for a residency permit. Just living in a country on a visa does NOT mean you are a resident.

HWB

formulav
12th Oct 2009, 14:43
Hi Guys,

I know a couple of Americans that work for them and are US citizens ONLY.

Luke SkyToddler
12th Oct 2009, 21:13
You're referring to the CX cadet pilot scheme, which is only open to HK citizens - as an australian you are NOT eligible to apply.

There are hundreds of aussies flying for Cathay of course, but none of them joined as cadets, they all joined as direct entry experienced pilots - which requires 1000 hours minimum flying time with airline experience (and most successful applicants have many times that amount).