PDA

View Full Version : Odd problem playing DVDs

vancouv
10th Oct 2009, 09:35
I have a Dell laptop from work, and I'm having a couple of problems when I play DVDs:

If I use Media Player, I can't get any sound. MP3s play fine, and the picture is OK for a DVD, but no sound - and yes the master volume is turned on/up!

If I use CyberLink PowerDVD, which was already installed, it works fine for a while, but suddenly the film stops playing, and PowerDVD displays a message saying there is no disc drive on the machine or the drive doesn't support the format of the disk - obviously rubbish as I was just watching the film. If I then go to explorer, windows can't see the drive either, and the only way I can get it back is by rebooting - when I can start watching the film again until the same thing happens.

Strangely this is the second laptop I've had from work and they both had these faults. As it's a works one I'm a bit limited as to what I can configure, and the IT department won't be all that sympathetic to my complaints that I can't watch DVDs!

Has anyone come across problems like these before?

BOAC
10th Oct 2009, 10:05
Regarding media player, up to 11 does not come equipped for 'proper' DVD playing and you need to download and install an 'audio codec'. Google 'no sound media player 11' and you will see you are not alone.

VLC is a recommended free player.