PDA

View Full Version : Robinson R22 Free Trial Lessons

PEASACAKE
9th Oct 2009, 19:04
If anybody on this site is thinking of starting flying, you may be interested in obtaining a free Robinson R22 trial lesson at a major UK flying school based at Shobdon.

For further information see Tiger helicopters website. :D

sprthompson
9th Oct 2009, 19:54
WOW!
How long before this ends up on Martin's Money-saver email and they have to pull the offer :bored:

TheOptimist
9th Oct 2009, 20:00
145 miles away......

*calculates fuel usage*

£50 petrol return.

*Plans journey*

sprthompson
9th Oct 2009, 20:17
I hope for their sake the lessons doesn't involve starting the engine.. '... and this is how you adjust the harness, oh and that's time up, sorry... '

TheOptimist
9th Oct 2009, 20:18
That would be fairly annoying.

They spend half an hour doing the walk-around then you're finished.

Should I feel guilty that I have no intention of taking lessons there?

206Fan
9th Oct 2009, 20:45
You must have a thirsty car if its going to cost you 50 quid on petrol to do 145 miles. My 1.9 would only use about 15 quids worth of diesel to do 145 miles :}

TheOptimist
9th Oct 2009, 20:47
(Psssst......it's 145 miles back as well.....)

206Fan
9th Oct 2009, 20:50
Right enough.. Thou its worth filling the tank up for a free trial lesson. Not every day this comes around!

TheOptimist
9th Oct 2009, 20:52
Especially if I get one for my brother as well

;)

fluffy5
10th Oct 2009, 04:43
I would be a little carefull. The old gag of free trial lessons, many training providers have tried this before. The usual small print will stipulate that the trial lesson is free as long as you will accept a course of training and start your PPL.
So when you walk into the training provider and state at the front desk " I'm here for my free trial lesson, I have not brought my wallet and is it ok to fly because I'm partially blind ".
Just see how quickly the weather changes and becomes unsuitable to fly or the aircraft goes tech.
Don't you just love some training places that try anything that they can.
Good on them, trying to keep the industry ticking over.

fluffy

Heli-phile
10th Oct 2009, 05:01
I would'nt get back in an R22 IF YOU PAID ME, let alone for free!! :-)

Whirlybird
10th Oct 2009, 08:29
It's genuine...or it was way back in the 1990s. That's how I got started.

Windy Pants
10th Oct 2009, 09:33
sometimes it may be free (overall), but in fact you pay for it up front, and if you then go on to buy some lessons from them, it will then be refunded!

Fark'n'ell
11th Oct 2009, 07:30
Heli-Phile

I would'nt get back in an R22 IF YOU PAID ME, let alone for free!! :-)

Ditto.
Horrible little things.

206Fan
11th Oct 2009, 12:28
Some of us have to fly those ''horrible little things''.

Heli-phile

You must of had a bad experience in one?

benwizz
12th Oct 2009, 00:24
Would it be too cheeky to land there in a fixed wing and turn up for the freebie heli lesson?!

Whirlybird
12th Oct 2009, 07:08
benwizz,
I planned to do that when I did mine, but on the day the weather prevented it. No reason why not.

DBChopper
12th Oct 2009, 08:25
It's genuine...or it was way back in the 1990s. That's how I got started.

Me too - it was my first lesson towards my PPL(H). It was an absolutely genuine offer and consisted of a 30min board brief and a 30min lesson. You have to argue it's a clever idea - it has already generated a lot of discussion on a couple of forums.

Good luck to them :ok:

Whirlybird
12th Oct 2009, 15:55
Well, it seems to have hooked at least two of us. :ok:

TorqueTorque
29th Oct 2009, 18:22
Totally genuine offer at Tiger. I did the same 10 years ago at Shobdon and two of my pals have just had free Trial Lessons only three weeks ago. Lessons were a full hour with 15 mins brief, full 30 mins flying and 15 mins de-brief. One has agreed to start with the first 10 hours in December. Good plan by Tiger, after all if we want a test drive in our next Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi, Porsche, Aston, etc the garage does it for free so why not an FTO for 30 mins? Darned good plot if you should want an opinion! Oh... and yes, I did my PPL(H) at Tiger after my TL.

:ok:

TorqueTorque
29th Oct 2009, 18:32
No, not at all.... a few of the Tiger people fly A as well as H. Fly in to Shobdon in the plane, I would.... :)

waspsad
29th Oct 2009, 20:27
The free trial lesson was great, and there really was no strings attached! Is there anybody on here who has done their training with Tiger and has any advice or critisism about them as im looking to train with them! :ok:

TorqueTorque
30th Oct 2009, 07:23
Too many people look for trouble where there is none. Tiger's been in biz since the early '90s and done a fine job for many PPLs & CPLs. Just go and train there.... I did 10 years ago (humble PPL). Really friendly atmosphere at Shobdon and tons of space both at Tiger and in the air around Herefordshire and into Wales. Makes ab initio training very pleasant.

:ok:

biggles99
30th Oct 2009, 17:19
Never, ever, ever, pay for training up front. Pay at the end of each lesson.

If you buy an aircraft to learn on, don't allow the school to owe you money.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

Big Ls.