PDA

View Full Version : First solo tradition - Humour

cptjim
9th Oct 2009, 14:16
I just passed through a flight school in the US and saw a ton of ripped shirts with writing on attached to the wall. This is standard practice apparently for when a student goes solo for the first time. Where I'm from in the UK we always threw a bucket of cold water over someone (kinda mean I know) :E. Some of the comments were hilarious and I wish I had taken some photos now. I didn't know flight instructors had such warped senses of humour!

I thought it would be fun to start a thread and see the funniest things that people have seen or written or had written on shirts, or even those in Blighty telling their stories of the unexpected bucket of water ritual. :}

Jim :ok:

206Fan
9th Oct 2009, 14:35
My ripped T-Shirt is now framed on my bedroom wall from my first solo. The bucket of water idea would have been better suited for me as it was 33 Celsius the day i done my solo.

Great View
9th Oct 2009, 14:42
I have two ripped t-shirts from the States (Fixed wing and Heli). Moved to Canada, where they do the bucket of cold water thing.

chaders
9th Oct 2009, 14:57
I believe the ripping the back out of your T-shirt in the US is to let your wings poke through. Ready to be corrected. I got the water treatment in the UK.

birrddog
9th Oct 2009, 15:06
I got a pint in the pub at Wycombe.... Or did I have the buy the pints in the pub at Wycombe... can't remember now.... ;)

R44-pilot
9th Oct 2009, 15:25
Well I feel left out... Got a "well done mate" and a cold Corona..... :}

skadi
9th Oct 2009, 15:58
First solo in a plank:
Icecold water over the "backside" and from each member of the class (students and teachers ) a big slap with the hand...
Couldnt sit for one day...

Procedure like on this sample picture:

http://www.fotoalbum-medion.de/mediapool02_aldi_n/32/38/28/70/F0/BC/11/DA/9C/D2/C1/05/54/86/53/5B/oma/10/F7C7A390B64811DE8FEF77B23EE2DC30.jpg

http://www.fotoalbum-medion.de/mediapool02_aldi_n/32/38/28/70/F0/BC/11/DA/9C/D2/C1/05/54/86/53/5B/oma/10/F7FFA380B64811DE8C4621BC3EE2DC30.jpg

First R/W-Solo:

An unexpected bath in the pool of the Officers-Club in Ft. Rucker

http://www.fotoalbum-medion.de/mediapool02_aldi_n/32/38/28/70/F0/BC/11/DA/9C/D2/C1/05/54/86/53/5B/oma/10/2093B980B4EB11DE80F70AA03EE2CE2A.jpg

skadi

Ewe Turn
9th Oct 2009, 18:49
great pic !:ok:

Fortyodd2
9th Oct 2009, 19:42
After my first solo my flight suit probably looked as though someone had thrown a bucket of water over it!

BartBandy
9th Oct 2009, 20:43
First solo fw they cut off my tie (aviation college) and dosed me with water.

First solo rw, just the bucket, easy. ;)

Both in Canada.

skadi
10th Oct 2009, 06:57
After my first solo my flight suit probably looked as though someone had thrown a bucket of water over it!

Sweat ? :)

Brilliant Stuff
10th Oct 2009, 21:03
The Germans give you a hiding on completion of your first solo. :}

Oh alright then, they slap your bottom.

gwelo shamwari
11th Oct 2009, 00:30
First Solo in a sail plane in Gwelo, Rhodesia (Gweru, Zimbabwe)

Took me outside and stripped me to my underwear, painted me black and then man handled me to get my foot print on the club house ceiling... Followed by many coke and diesel's...

Got, my shirt cut up with a witty comment written on it in the USA... a bit less dramatic.

Captino
11th Oct 2009, 01:19
I got a pretty good ass whooping, and have pased it on ever since

perfrej
11th Oct 2009, 07:15
Sweden. It appears to be tie cutting. At least when I soloed in 1994.

/p

RotorDompteur
11th Oct 2009, 09:28
Denmark, Air Force. When I soloed the tradition was to carry the lucky pilot from the plane and throw him into the nearest fire pond. He was then to swim to the far end and back – all in flight suit, boots etc.
In the bar in the evening the tie was cut in two – both had date and name written on it. The long end was hanged on display in the bar, the short one was given to the pilot.

All the same happened to me – only with a variation; it was -2°C and the pond had 3mm of ice on it… :uhoh:

RD

Stuck_in_an_ATR
11th Oct 2009, 15:43
All the same happened to me – only with a variation; it was -2°C and the pond had 3mm of ice on it… http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/worry.gif

Ouch!... :E

In Poland it is ass slapping and most of the guys do it wholehartedly... My first solo coincided with National Junior Gliding Championships - couldn't seat down for three days :}

kcopter
11th Oct 2009, 17:49
I faced a cold bucket of water followed by some sparkling white wine. So I guess it was a rather common version. Later my instructor told me that in his days the tradition meant to avoid the student touching the ground (after landing the chopper) without being baptized as a pilot. That meant that he had to remain seated in the PIC seat until they had rolled a tub full of “something” aside the chopper which he had to fall into after his first exit as a solo student. The procedure becomes funny where a party is being held in the name of the lighty the evening before he goes solo. During this party, the until then empty tub, will be filled with things that can be found in a chopper hanger and parties in general. As it is all pilots, who are assumed to have gone through this procedure filling the tub, I could imagine that it usually ends up to be a rather disgusting mix. Needless to say that the person to go solo is not present but trying to get some sleep at home.

TiPwEiGhT
11th Oct 2009, 21:53
I got a hand shake and a thank you for taking the aircraft back.

TiP

22clipper
11th Oct 2009, 22:11
I went solo in a humble R22 on it's thrid rebuild, when R44s where just a gleam in ol' man Robinson's eyes.. The flying school boss said, "Congratulations, you should celebrate, what would you like to do?" The only other machine type at the school was a B206. I used to hang around some days just to hear the thing start, it was the sweetest sound accompanied by a great smell. Bravely I said "What about half an hour in your JetRanger"? It was a bold request from a twenty hour wonder given that I was struggling to scrape together the coin for the R22 hire & really had no idea what the Bell cost.
The owner thought for a moment, "Yeah alright", he replied looking at my instructor, "but don't let him start it"! The dual flight was great but it was another decade before I got to start a kero burner, it was worth the wait!

pumuckl
12th Oct 2009, 09:20
The Germans give you a hiding on completion of your first solo. :}

Oh alright then, they slap your bottom.

Unless you are a woman in which case you get a kiss instead. :O

CS-CCO
12th Oct 2009, 09:34
Over here the tradition is too hose you down from head to toe and then a proper kick in the butt by the every single flying intructor present in that day.