PDA

View Full Version : Evaluating different schools, still feel lost

bwilly
8th Oct 2009, 19:11
Hello

I'm a Canadian with zero flight time. I'm looking to find some quality training with many hours, however after weeks of reading and searching on here, along with other aviation forums, I'm still lost and undecided as to what to do. I'm hoping I can get some help here. :ok:

Firstly, I just want to fly jets in the long run; big or small. It doesnt matter whether its business jets or airlines to me. I went to the Air Force, and they basicaly told me it's almost impossible right now, way too much interest, not enough spots.

I've looked into most Canadian schools and the only one that was interesting to me was Moncton, however with the new contract handed out to 800+ Chinnese students I've heard its gone downhill. Anyone from MFC that can verify?

So I've shifted my focus abroad, which brings me to Basair in Australia. Basair looks appealing for the Advanced Diploma. I havent been able to find many reviews on Basair though. Anyone know about it? I've heard aussie flight training is good quality, but may not prepare you very well for North American skies...

Do you think there is a major advantage in obtaining a aviation diploma? Right now I only have my high school diploma and a few university credits, and have no plans to return to university (wasnt my cup of tea). I cant seem to find many aviation diploma programs in the US, just degrees...maybe I'm not searching hard enough :ugh:

The other place I've been looking is Florida. I've seen many decent looking programs but my question is about the visas. I am under the impression the J-1 will be discontinued in June 2010, how will this affect things? What are the conditions under the M-1 as far as work goes. I would like to be able to have a part time job while studying, can you do this in the US? I've also read about some ''fine print'' regarding non-US citizens not being able to instruct. If I cant earn some dough, Canada doesnt seem so bad after all.....

Last but not least, while looking at Epic Aviation I was very impressed. They include the housing in the price, which is nice. The issue though is thier fleet of glass cockpits. This seems to be a rather controversial subject. They claim since all the airlines use glass cockpits you will be better prepared, however tradition suggests that it may distract the pilot and make him lose focus on what is happening outside.....any opinions? Will using a glass cockpit have a negative or positive effect when looking for employment?

PS, anyone know any programs similar to OFT's 1000 hour Pro Pilot Program? One that a foreigner can take?:)

Thanks in advance, hope I can get some input!

Shunter
8th Oct 2009, 20:15
Is it worth considering that you may be getting ahead of yourself? The dream might be nice, but surely a trial lesson at your local club would be the first step, followed (if you still like it) by a PPL. It's a long road, and it seems perhaps a little silly to commit to the whole hog before you've ever even got to grips with the basics of flying a light aircraft and whether you've confirmed it's definitely "for you" or not.

Just my humble opinion, you understand.

bwilly
8th Oct 2009, 20:24
I understand what you are saying. Its really been the only thing I've ever wanted to do. I tried out university with the mindset it would help me get hired when I went to flight school afterwards. I left Uni to finally start flying. I said ''zero'' flight time, but I suppose thats not completley true. I've done the whole intro flight thing, and backseated a few times. Overall, I think its something you know from day one if you want to do it, despite the costs and time to get where you want to be. :)

Shunter
8th Oct 2009, 20:49
I fancied doing the same when I was at school. Then I found out I didn't have perfect colour vision and was told I could not be a pilot, period. 10 years later I found out that was actually complete fiction and now have a big stack of licenses from various countries, a great hobby which allows the Mrs and I to disappear off wherever and whenever we like, and a well-paid career elsewhere which allows me to fly my plane on expenses for business purposes.

Just trying to point out that there are all kinds of things which might creep out of the woodwork, you never know how things might pan out, and hence getting a medical and doing a PPL somewhere local is a good foundation for a low-risk, moderate financial outlay. Once you've put that first foot on the ladder you'll find yourself in a much better position to make a decision on the matter and won't have lost anything in the process.

bryan1978
9th Oct 2009, 23:55
Hey bwilly
Try Riverside Flight Center in tulsa, OK. I did all my training there from private to CFII. They gave me my first flying job, and I've seen all sort of nations come through. India, Sir Lanka, Asian countries, England....all over, so they don't just cater to one type of country. The owner is great and the staff is friendly. The weather is pretty good too. Check them out. Take Care