PDA

View Full Version : Anti Spam

denachtenmai
7th Oct 2009, 10:29
Does anyone on here use Digiportal's ChoiceMail Free as their anti spam?
I have been using it for about 4 years and find it superb.
The only trouble is,every year you have to go to their website and retrieve a new key, which has to be entered,and this enables you to use it for another year, but this year I have run into a problem, I cannot bring up the license box to paste the key into.
They have a page dedicated to helping,Choice Mail : How to renew your ChoiceMail Free key (http://www.digiportal.com/support/56-faqs/463-how-to-renew-your-choicemail-free-key.html), but I can't follow the command prompt and nav instructions.
Any info would be most welcome.
Regards, Den.

mixture
7th Oct 2009, 10:53
denachtenmai,

To be perfectly blunt, desktop software based solutions are a waste of time.

I'm not taking aim at Digiportal here. My comment applies to anyone selling desktop software solutions.

By the time it's reached your desktop, it's too late to do any sort of proper filtering.

The place for filtering is upstream at the receiving server. Once it gets down to desktop level, not only have you just wasted bandwidth on pulling the junk across, but you are also only likely to realistically catch a small subset of what could have otherwise been trashed.

mixture
7th Oct 2009, 11:00
Also, I see Choicemail is permission based anti-spam .... this sort of technique, known as greylisting is a waste of time.

It is a totally unnecessary type of anti-spam technique in the 21st Century and only causes frustration to sender and recipient if you forget to unblock someone's first email or miss the notification from the software.

Again, not poking at Choicemail here, just at the overall concept of greylisting.

denachtenmai
7th Oct 2009, 11:15
Thanks for the replies, as I said I have been quite happy to use choicemail, I haven't been worried about the concerns raised, but I am willing to try other products, the only criteria that applies is that they are easy to use and, of course, free :), so if you have anything in mind then please point me in their direction.
Regards, Den.

mixture
7th Oct 2009, 11:21
Assuming your ISP doesn't offer anything, perhaps one of the webmail services like Gmail ....

Limited number of server side options when the price tag is free... :cool:

Good luck with your spam fighting endeavours.

denachtenmai
7th Oct 2009, 13:57
Thanks mixture, I have just downloaded Mailwasher after going through the Sticky at the top of the page, now all I have to do is start from scratch:(, still I'm sure it will not take too long.
Regards, Den.

Mike-Bracknell
7th Oct 2009, 20:58
the only criteria that applies is that they are easy to use and, of course, free

You get what you pay for. :=

HandyAndy
7th Oct 2009, 22:33
Mailwasher Pro isn't free. Use it and am happy with it's performance.