PDA

View Full Version : KLM booking visible on BA website

Momo
7th Oct 2009, 06:13
Strange one this. I was looking at a booking on the BA website and saw a 100% KLM booking there too. On the KLM site, only the KLM booking is visible. Different airlines and alliances. This seems wrong. Anyone seen it, or think it is normal?

Momo
9th Oct 2009, 08:43
OK, so no views here. I will write to KLM with the screen capture to see if they find this OK.

Final 3 Greens
9th Oct 2009, 09:27
Momo

I don't know about others, but I am having trouble trying to visualise what you are saying and thus infer a meaning.

Maybe that is why you have no replies.

dubh12000
9th Oct 2009, 09:44
Its normal when my agent books a series of flights with a single genesis code.....for example, when I go to a booking of mine on BA.com to choose seats, I can also see flights before and after the BA flights. They can be with Swiss, Lufty, KLM etc.

Momo
9th Oct 2009, 13:58
Understood, but this is a 100% KLM booking reference. I just can't work out how to insert an image here, or I would show you the screen capture. (Entering a URL that starts with C:\ in the dialog box just inserts that string of text.)

Hartington
9th Oct 2009, 16:05
I'd need more information about how the booking was originally created and modified. I can think of scenarios where this might happen. The most likely (in my view) would be a booking created by BA (maybe BA out KL back) subsequently changed to KL both ways.

What I'm a bit intrigued by is how you managed to find it. Your post reads as if you were looking for something else at the time and found this booking. That shouldn't happen.

Capetonian
9th Oct 2009, 17:38
KL and BA are both Amadeus system users, so any booking of either airline exists in a single system. However the security should prevent airline A from retrieving airlines B's PNRs, unless a security agreement is in place, typically where both airlines are in an alliance and thus service each others' PNRs - this is not the case with KL and BA.

If airline B has a segment (could also be a codeshare) in airline A's booking, that would also enable cross retrieval. As far as I know BA and KL don't codeshare.

The scenario you describe does not appear to fit the above, if you PM me with a screen shot I may be able to throw further light on it if you wish. I would suspect that there may have been a KL segment, subsequently cancelled.

Momo
14th Oct 2009, 14:57
I put the capture up in a public Picasa album. Let's see if you can access this.

Picasa-Webalben - maurice.fitzgerald - PPRUNE (http://picasaweb.google.ch/mtfitzgerald1/PPRUNE#5392469116354473282)

Picasa-Webalben - maurice.fitzgerald - PPRUNE (http://picasaweb.google.ch/mtfitzgerald1/PPRUNE#5392469116354473282)

M

Momo
14th Oct 2009, 14:59
And for clarification, the booking was made independently of any other, contains no BA or One World segments and has not been modified since creation. All flights are KL, no code shares.

Capetonian
14th Oct 2009, 15:15
On the face of it this would appear to be a glitch of some kind. The only way that this could be forced to happen is if the KLM booking has a security element added to it to allow retrieval by BA. This is procedurally unlikely but technically possible. If BA had make the booking for you in one of their offices, for example, it would be retrievable, or if KLM added the element.

I would need the full booking details (record locator or pax name) to retrieve it. Obviously you don't want that displayed to the world, but if you want me to look at it and give you an explanation you can PM me.

Thunderbug
17th Oct 2009, 09:33
If as you say the booking was made independently of any other, contains no BA or One World segments and has not been modified since creation. All flights are KL, no code shares

Why did you enter the PNR on the BA.com website?

Just curious.........:confused:

T'Bug

Momo
16th Nov 2009, 06:33
So I found the reason for this. The travel agend (Carlson) entered my Executive Club number for the KLM flight.

I did not enter the PNR for the KLM flight in the BA site, it just appeared when I consulted "My reservations".

Hartington
16th Nov 2009, 15:32
Interesting. The way "profiles" tend to work (or maybe the way many agents use them) does mean that all of your frequent flyer card details will end up in all of your bookings, not just those they are actually related to.

beamender99
16th Nov 2009, 18:17
It depends on the quality of the systems how the least data is shared.
Only data of whatever type should be transmitted to allow the receiver to perform the task /function required.

The problem has been around for decades. BA "dirty tricks" is an example of this from the last century.

e.g. Sufficent info re wheelchairs required sent to the dept for wheelchair provision not to every dept of the handling agent.

It certainly was normal to send details of immediate connections to the airline with the inbound or outbound connections.s

The UK Data Protection mentions appropriate and not excessive data or words to that effect.

So data stored re USA security purposes should not appear on a UK domestic booking.

No system is perfect even after decades of developement.