PDA

View Full Version : PIC Hours

jetpistonlover
6th Oct 2009, 21:58
Hello,
I am a JAA CPL with MEP/SEP/IR and I am thinking about get a FAA Private License certificated issued based on my JAA CPL (according with CFR 14 61.75), in order to build some multi engine time in US (Seneca Aircraft). The organization which rent me the aircraft says that I am free to take a partner with me (he has also JAA CPL with IR and MEP) and we both may log hours as PIC simultaneous, during a Simulated IFR flight. One will be the PIC of the aircraft other a safety pilot.
This is very good since the flight time will cost me half the price!!
But I can't find JAA legislation which tells me this is accepted by JAA and hours will count for both of us. I also have no idea if I can log hours directly on my JAA logbook.

Someone know anything?

Thank you everyone for reading this long text :)

Regards

BigGrecian
7th Oct 2009, 02:08
That's because you can't do that under JAA regulations!

The Seneca is a single pilot aircraft so only one pilot
can log pilot in command under JAA.

If you are both FAA qualified then you could log it in accordance with 91.109 but the safety pilot time cannot be counted as PIC for JAA.

In your scenario only you clould log the flight time for JAA purposes.

As a JAA CPL holder you should know this! Basic knoweldge for a commerial pilot.

Appendix A page 44 of LASORS 2008 | Personnel Licensing | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/lasors) applies.

This had also been covered many times before! Use the search function or look two posts above. In pretty sure this post will me merged with the logging of flight time thread or moved by a moderator shortly.

jetpistonlover
7th Oct 2009, 03:08
According JAR FCL 1 only one PIC for a single pilot aircraft, which makes sense.
According with FAR's both PIC and safety pilot working as PIC log hours as PIC on a single pilot aircraft, under IFR simulated flight.

JAA CPL but exercising FAA private license previleges, so under FAR's regulation which also make sense and allow hours to be logged in as PIC while flying as safety pilot

Whirlygig
7th Oct 2009, 06:30
It might make sense to you but the JAA won't count them towards the issue of a licence.

Cheers

Whirls