PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions: multi-synch monitors and Search settings

Loose rivets
6th Oct 2009, 16:13
Someone mentioned a true flatscreen multi-synching monitor a while back. I've spent ages trying to find it, and failed. I think it might have been a Samsung.

No one at Best Buy knew what I was talking about.

Getting rid of my tube is going to be hard, but the humid weather seems to be taking its toll. Every so often, the monitor clicks - not a discharge I don't think - and then it dims and smalerizes the picture, like the EHT is being sucked down. Anyway, time for an upgrade - as long as I can get down to 1280 when I want to. Looking at my laptop requires a jeweler's loop. :ugh:

While Searching, I notice that my name doesn't stay in the box anymore. I copy and paste, but what a bore. The other parameters stay put. Also, it's stopped offering suggested names in a pop down. Is that Pprune, or W7 that's effecting the changes?

Never, ever, has the Save Search Preferences worked totally.

green granite
6th Oct 2009, 18:53
My 24" TFT monitor runs permanently at 1920x1200 it automatically rescales things to fit plus the fact that W7 will allow you to zoom the text upto 150%

Loose rivets
6th Oct 2009, 20:55
I'm assuming that if you set it at say 1280 by XXXX ratio, it would go into Fuzzy vision like any other LCD type monitor, but yes, the fact that one can zoom the text in the Native Resolution has saved the day for me and laptops, but so much of what I do involved popping into Explorer and shoving stuff about. This is where the micro-images become so tedious.

I guess that Windoze plan this out in the design. Even at 1024, the full file management screen is showing. Not so much covered, but the tool-bars are full and perfect for my needs.

No doubt, some of this is age related, and the plethora of reading glasses scattered about the house has reached bizarre proportions. :8 Especially when the gremlins take them all to one place.

I'm still so committed to the old CRT, but there was mention on this forum about the afore mentioned monitor. It sounded as though it would truly multi-synch.

I did save the info, but losing my backup HD - just as I'd installed W7 - has meant a group of recent Bookmarks got lost.

jimtherev
6th Oct 2009, 21:02
My cheapo Xm-S LCD gives the following modes as standard:
Mode : 720 x 400 @ 70 Hz
Mode : 720 x 400 @ 88 Hz
Mode : 640 x 480 @ 60 Hz
Mode : 640 x 480 @ 67 Hz
Mode : 640 x 480 @ 72 Hz
Mode : 640 x 480 @ 75 Hz
Mode : 800 x 600 @ 60 Hz
Mode : 800 x 600 @ 72 Hz
Mode : 800 x 600 @ 75 Hz
Mode : 832 x 624 @ 75 Hz
Mode : 1024 x 768 @ 87 Hz interlaced
Mode : 1024 x 768 @ 70 Hz
Mode : 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz
Mode : 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

I assumed that most offerings on the market... and note, mine only goes up to 1280 - I said it was cheap... will do at least this and probably better?

Or is there something I'm missing here?

Loose rivets
7th Oct 2009, 03:29
Let's pick out two that I might be able to use on a regular basis.

Mode : 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz
Mode : 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Are you saying that you can multi-synch between these two and still show the same accuracy of focus?

Normally, an LCD will only be able to focus correctly on ONE frequency. This is called the Native Resolution. All other frequencies will be slightly blurred.

Sprogget
7th Oct 2009, 07:10
Your assertion doesn't bear out my experience LR. I'm typing this on a box connected to a 32" Samsung lcd tv. According to the pc, the native resolution is 1360x768.

In practice, this stretches the desktop vertically & shrinks the text to the point that it bothers me. I resize it to 1024x768 & see no degradation in quality. Certainly the refresh rate can blur or sharpen things a good deal. For me, playing with the resolutions & refesh rates until I was happy was the way forward.

Loose rivets
7th Oct 2009, 07:41
That's odd. You should be able to change refresh rates with no discernible change in quality...other than flicker.

The trouble is, that when a monitor is made with say like GG's 1920 res then that highest figure will be the Native Resolution. Getting back to a work-a-day line frequency is destructive to the focus/registration because the scanning rates are just not acceptable to the size of the light-generating clusters.

I've found an old thread with some comment about a Samsung 22" Multi-synch. In the old days, the use of that term was a definite indication that it would multi-synch. To clear up a point...of course, if it's locked on, it will be multi-synching. But the timings are unacceptable to the LED sizes in all but the true ones.

One will phone Samsung in the morning.

green granite
7th Oct 2009, 11:50
I don't think you need "multi-syncing" with a TFT monitor in the same way that you do with a CRT one, my monitor refresh rate is set to 60Hz @ all resolutions and there is no flicker.

TFT screens do not refresh in the same way as a CRT screen does, where the image is redrawn at a certain rate. A TFT monitor will only support refresh rates coming from your graphics card between 60Hz and 75Hz. Anything outside this will result in a "signal out of range" message or similar. The “recommended” refresh rate for a TFT is 60hz, a value which would be difficult to use on a CRT. The “maximum” refresh rate of a TFT is 75hz, but sometimes if you are using a DVI connection the refresh is capped at 60hz anyway.

I suggest you visit this site LR TFT Central - LCD Monitor Information, Reviews, Guides and News (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/)

jimtherev
7th Oct 2009, 13:30
Let's pick out two that I might be able to use on a regular basis.

Are you saying that you can multi-synch between these two and still show the same accuracy of focus?

t'oddest thing: I've just been playing with the resolutions to answer your question, and I can't find any discernable difference in apparent focus. That's ok then.

But I find that I'm routinely running in 1440 x 900 in widescreen, which the monitor *shouldn't* but obviously *does* support.

:hmm:
Jim

Loose rivets
7th Oct 2009, 16:05
Your assertion doesn't bear out my experience LR. I'm typing this on a box connected to a 32" Samsung lcd tv. According to the pc, the native resolution is 1360x768.

I've just picked up on Sprogg's "TV." Fed into that, it changes everything. T/Vs have to multi-synch to cope with all the resolutions.

g-g says:
I don't think you need "multi-syncing" with a TFT monitor in the same way that you do with a CRT one, my monitor refresh rate is set to 60Hz @ all resolutions and there is no flicker.

This is all to do with what used to be called the FRAME rate or frequency. While the output card is able to cover a varied frame output frequency, the flat screen usually can not. I wold be delighted to find a laptop that will truly go to even 70Hz. As I am prone to seeing the flicker. But this is clouding the main issue.

In the early days of colour monitors, even they were fixed line frequency. It was all to do with the cost of building the scanning electronics, not the phosphor matrix. Within a few years, the consumer would not purchase any CRT monitor than did not multi-synch. Mind you, I could charge nearly 3,000 quid for a 19" colour at 1280 X 1024. Dream resolution. So there was money in the kitty for development.

When Samsung came out with a competent and cheap little colour monitor that would handle VGA, 800 and 1024, they (possibly) coined the name Muli-Synch. That was the Model name on the box. The frame rates were reasonable, but were secondary to the line frequencies.

Soon everything in the CRT world was auto-synching. The only factor left to choose was the top frequency. Now, 1,600 was the dream...with the units coming in huge metal boxes. Soon Eizo and iiyama were taking over the world. They did this until Sony converted their Trinitron technology over to monitors. Again, they were selling around 2,600 quid plus VAT. Everything wold lock on to a range of frequencies and soon they would auto-fit the screen and memorize the settings for each res.

Now the flat screen comes along. Suffice it to say, I have never seen a laptop that would show a competent picture in anything but its native resolution. I however, know that some people don't even notice. I have a pal that does all his financial stuff in fuzzy vision, 'because it fits the screen better.' I gave up after a while.

I simply can not understand why - if T/Vs can hop about on line frequencies - why a flat screen monitor cannot be made to do so. Yes, the frequencies are higher, but so what? I can only assume that the phosphor matrix has to be substantially better, because the electronics is elementary by today's standard.

The past thread that I did find, did not really state that the unit was truly multi-synching. I still wait to hear from Samsung to see if their high end units really do.