PDA

View Full Version : Rotorheads Eye Test?

VfrpilotPB/2
6th Oct 2009, 08:35
Good morning Rotorheads,

Are we able to use the ability to pass the daily eye test for Colour Blindness and picking out odd shaped letters and numbers, as part of our medical to fly?

Peter R-B
Vfr;)

ShyTorque
6th Oct 2009, 08:55
Ever used an AAI? :)

topendtorque
6th Oct 2009, 12:55
OK i'll be the dummy, AAI?:confused:

Whirlygig
6th Oct 2009, 13:01
Angle of Approach indicator :)

Cheers

Whirls

What Limits
6th Oct 2009, 15:03
You use it every day. The fact that numbers tend to be used for the Isihara (sp?) test is immaterial. You should be able to differentiate, lets say, between green amber and red as a minimum.

minigundiplomat
6th Oct 2009, 19:12
If you have an Ipod touch or Iphone, you can download an app to test your colour perception prior to visiting the doc.

krypton_john
6th Oct 2009, 22:02
On a related matter - hearing: I have a PPL medical waiver as I am stone deaf in one ear. Anyone else out there flying with such a handicap? Ever been an issue? Anyone got such a waiver for commercial, FI or IR operations?

Cheers
JohnO

Runway101
7th Oct 2009, 07:13
You can check that online too. Lots of stuff to begin with found via Google.

5 Online Color Blindness Tests (http://www.colblindor.com/2007/10/07/5-online-color-blindness-tests/)

(also check the pilots (http://www.colblindor.com/2007/09/13/study-on-how-color-blindness-affects-pilots/) link within above page)

ReverseFlight
8th Oct 2009, 09:27
As you are successful logging on to Pprune with Image Verification in order to make your post, you need not worry about odd shaped letters and numbers with lots of colour variants. :D

Three Blades
8th Oct 2009, 10:17
krypton_john, I have a restriction for colour blindness which restricts me to VFR and to airfields that, if controlled, are by radio rather than light (uncontrolled is OK). I was lead to believe that, should I wish to, I could get CPL and FI tickets but with similar restrictions. IR would not be possible.

If anybody is having trouble with the plates of coloured dots then you are able to take an alternative test that involves lights. This can give a very different result an may get you a pass. For example, I confuse red and green paint but not red and green lights. However I am no good with green and white lights and hence have the restriction. I think that you can only take the lantern test at main medical centres (eg Gatwick)

Need money
8th Oct 2009, 14:18
Three Blades: Read the medical forum, all this is currently changing..

All computer based testing now - no Ishihara, and there are proposals for the FAA to use the same test instead of their practical test.

They say more people now can pass - so it may be worth another shot for you if you want to try and lift the restriction....:ok:

SilsoeSid
9th Oct 2009, 09:42
You should be able to differentiate, lets say, between green amber and red as a minimum.

Thats easy!

Bottom, Middle Top! :ok:
Or was it the other way round? :confused:
Amber is in the middle,...isn't it? :{

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0e/Traffic_light.gif

VTA
9th Oct 2009, 22:38
If it's any consolation to people, a million years ago I failed the Ishihara test but, passed the lantern test and started a very enjoyable career as a RN Helicopter pilot..
More recently while working in SE Asia under different license, I failed the plate test (as I always do) but, passed another lantern test (they wouldn't accept the military test)...

The plates are just a basic test, the lantern test is the definitive.

VTA