PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference, Microlight/ultralight/Light sport aircraft in NZ

Bla Bla Bla
6th Oct 2009, 03:30
HI,

I have been thinking of buying an aircraft for some time in NZ and I'm really impressed with the whole ultralight thing in terms of running costs and tail wheel rough field planes available.

What I would like to know is what is the difference between LSA/ultra/micro and which one of these can I count the hours towards my total time as I'm a working cpl. I'm not getting an aircraft for hour building, but for getting out into some more remote area's for fly fishing/hunting. But if I'm going to fly on my days off then I would like to count the hrs towards my total time.

Also what is the maintenance requirements and can I carryout allot of it myself, how often do I need a lame and any idea of maintenance costs would be great.

And last thing what do I need to do to get the right license, I have a cpl with about 1500hrs TT.

Any advice would be great, thanks

Bla Bla Bla
6th Oct 2009, 05:40
And also where is a good place on the South Island to gain the correct license.

Thanks

Exaviator
6th Oct 2009, 05:42
You will find most of the answers to your questions here www.raanz.org.nz

Cheers :ok:

Bla Bla Bla
6th Oct 2009, 10:20
Thanks for the link, I have had a good look and I still can't seem to find out about the logging of hours. Anyone know what the deal is?

sleemanj
6th Oct 2009, 12:32
In simple terms.

Ultralight

There is no such thing as Ultralight in NZ, we call them Microlights.

Microlight

There are two classes, Class 1 = 1 seat, Class 2 = 2 seat but many types, flexwing, fixed wing, helicopters, gyros, chutes, motor gliders, everything from Pterodactyl to a Sportcruiser.

Broadly speaking, day, VFR, not over congested areas, 544kg max all up, 45kt or slower stall in landing config (flaps down, gear out), no other real restrictions (retracts, constant speed prop etc is all good). You can do basically everything yourself, needs an annual inspection by a microlight inspection authority (not necessarily a LAME).

Can be cheap (single seater 1980's vintage mirage for $3000). Can be not so cheap (luxury new Sport Cruiser for $XXX,XXX).

For crediting hours flown into the GA world I'll let Rex Kenny answer that with this quote from an email I had from him (hope he doesn't mind me quoting him)...

Q: Could you clarify what the actual situation is with crediting hours
flown in Class 1/2 Microlights towards time required to complete a PPL.

A: Currently AC61 provides for a cross credit of half the hours flown
in the previous 12 months up to a maximum of 10 hours towards a ppl

That's of course for initial license issue hours required.

LSA

LSA does not yet exist. But it's very close, and here again I'll let Rex answer...

Q: Could you provide a broad definition as to what will constitute an
LSA, what will be required from a maintenance and other legislative
basis which is different to a Microlight, and what (if any) benefit a
person has in making their aircraft LSA over Microlight.

A: LSA is a factory built two place aircraft with a max gross weight
of 1320 lbs and a stall speed of 45 knots or less.
They must be maintained by an LAME or a maintenance approval holder and
to the manufacturers maintenance manual.
They can be used for PPL flight training and fly over congested areas.
They will also be available for use under Part 115 adventure aviation
once that is introduced late next year. At present a PPL [ or better ] is required to fly them but I have a proposed change to Part 61 that will allow
microlight pilots to also fly LSA's.

So in short, an LSA can carry a bit more load and the hours are fully creditable.

I'd suggest that you should contact Rex at the CAA, he is the man to give you all the regulatory detail on Microlight and LSA alike.
:ok:

sleemanj
6th Oct 2009, 12:41
I'll also point out, since you are a current CPL, that you can use a Microlight for commercial joy rides and sight-seeing perfectly within the rules (the rules specifically permit exactly that for Microlights in rule Part 1).

That little fact surprises a lot of people who think they know better, but it's very much true, and quite an untapped market I think :ok:

Bla Bla Bla
6th Oct 2009, 13:08
Thanks for that informative reply, just what I was after. The LSA sounds the way to go.