PDA

View Full Version : Hotmail hacked

green granite
5th Oct 2009, 18:05
According to the BBC passwords have been hacked mainly in Europe

Thousands of Hotmail passwords have been hacked and posted online, BBC News has learnt.

Microsoft, which owns the popular web-based e-mail system, said that it was aware of the claims and that it was "investigating the situation".

BBC News has seen a list of more than 10,000 accounts, which technology blog Neowin.net said had been posted online.

Full article: BBC NEWS | Technology | Hotmail accounts 'posted online' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8291268.stm)

Good time to change your password, if you can get into the site to do so, I have been trying for 1/2 but cant get into that area.

TURIN
6th Oct 2009, 10:12
I'm guessing this has something to do with an email I received about a week ago claiming that if I enter my details into their website, I can find out why and who blocked my email from a particuler individual's 'MSN Messenger' account.

The name of the individual is known to me but it had a string of numbers and letters after it so alarm bells went off and it got sent to the trash bin.

I think the website was called @Ouchimblocked.com :suspect:

mixture
6th Oct 2009, 10:18
I'm guessing this has something to do with an email I received about a week ago claiming that if I enter my details into their website

From what I gather, yes..... ignore the media hype and it seems to be a phishing scam that a lot of hotmail users were stupid enough to fall for.

PPRuNe Pop
6th Oct 2009, 12:31
The BBC say that the problem is much wider than at first thought.

BBC NEWS | Technology | Scam hits more e-mail accounts (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8292299.stm)

mixture
7th Oct 2009, 06:36
WikiLeaks didn't have the info so I think it's a storm in a teacup......

StaceyF,

Might be time to review your understanding of IT security and how such information gets distributed.

Hint: You don't find those lists of credit card numbers on WikiLeaks either, do you Stacey ?

WikiLeaks is largely there to give the journos something to play with on a quiet day .... :cool:

BOAC
7th Oct 2009, 08:06
I see that the website on which all the passwords etc were published is 'down for maintenance':)

Are we likely to see a list of 'hacked' account names published anywhere again? (With passwords, of course...:))

May I ?assume? that if I have not 'fallen' for a phishing email I am 'safe'?

What is the winning lottery number.....................

Avitor
7th Oct 2009, 08:27
I am getting emails, from people I know, one in America, one here in Britain. Some have attachments and are full of stuff I know full well those two people would never indulge in.
I delete them on arrival, never take the trouble to read them save from the opening lines....phutt! Gone.
Another scam for persistent mailers is to ask you to confirm you do not wish to receive further contact from them....answer those and they know you are at home.....I delete those unanswered too.
Most info on people has been offered, by themselves!.... Play dumb....use the delete facility.

green granite
7th Oct 2009, 08:30

I think that's the theory BOAC

What is the winning lottery number

You don't really expect me to tell you that, do you? :E

mixture
7th Oct 2009, 08:38
I see that the website on which all the passwords etc were published is 'down for maintenance'

Put it this way, you don't want to :mad: off Microsoft..... :ok:

Are we likely to see a list of 'hacked' account names published anywhere again? (With passwords, of course...)

Without a doubt, yes.

In terms of the list in question, there are probably many copies of it already posted on other websites, becuase "they" know that whilst the original listing will be killed off by the powers that be, the copies are more likely to survive.

In terms of new lists appearing. Popular sites, and sites holding financial data are under attack every minute of every day ..... it's only a matter of time.....

I don't want to provide false re-assurance. I would still recommend, at the very least, changing all your passwords (not just your hotmail one, but also for any websites where you used your hotmail address for the "lost password" function).

However, if this was just a phishing attack then chances are that you are safe. Don't quote me on that though !

What is the winning lottery number.....................

Ask Derren Brown.

Avitor
7th Oct 2009, 08:43
"What is the winning lottery number?"

Would anybody accept 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. (7) It's valid!

lomapaseo
7th Oct 2009, 12:36
I don't want to provide false re-assurance. I would still recommend, at the very least, changing all your passwords (not just your hotmail one, but also for any websites where you used your hotmail address for the "lost password" function).

I tend to use the same login and password for these internet discussion sites including hotmail for login confirmation.

I use an entirely different login and password for any financial stuff

I suspect that I am somewhat vulnerable to being spoofed on the discussion boards so if any of my posts appear idiotic they should be taken as evidence that my account has been hacked

inadequate

Guest 112233
7th Oct 2009, 13:58
For everoyone with a Gmail A/c - I suggest likewise. I do not know if I have been hacked yet, but everyone who uses accounts like Hotmail etc on a\home network of several computers like I do. Run Trend house call as a precaution on each unit. Additionally be very vigilant in monitoring your bank and credit card statements over the next few months.

Its not an explicitly proven case that the hacked account password details are are just the result of phishing attacks. Remember that the story is being covered by media that are not expertly trained in the practicalities of ICT.

Not scaremongering but the forthcomming "Security now" podcast on the GRC.com website is hoping to cover the case of malware that may have been able to generate false transactions while a user was logged on to a banking site. I do not have the details but the podcast is available from late thursday or friday morning in the UK - No connection with T.W.I.T or GRC.COM - and no intention of advertising any product/service or sponsor.

CAT III

Sprogget
7th Oct 2009, 15:12
Fwiw, I've been getting a big uplift in spam this week, mostly for some Russian site called golden dreams. What I want to know is how they know I need a bigger willy?:confused:

Saab Dastard
7th Oct 2009, 15:44
I suspect that I am somewhat vulnerable to being spoofed on the discussion boards so if any of my posts appear idiotic they should be taken as evidence that my account has been hacked

inadequate

Ah, that would explain it! I think it has already happened some time ago! ;)

SD