PDA

View Full Version : OK, it's not hot, and it's not high, but it certainly is dusty

airborne_artist
5th Oct 2009, 14:17
Just watched a Merlin from the secret Oxon heli-base do the power-line limbo between Ch****y and As** Ti*****.

Expect you'll get a bill from the farmer wanting some of his soil back - looks like quite a bit got airborne in the dust cloud that was created.

Next time don't spend so long in the hover - you were going up and down like a slow but purposeful yo-yo :}

Tiger_mate
5th Oct 2009, 15:25
Next time don't spend so long in the hover

You dont learn to drive on a racetrack in an F1 car; and this crew may well have been doing this task for the very first time in a Merlin.

Roger Sofarover
5th Oct 2009, 15:41
Airborne
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing eh;)

The guys will be learning to judge where they believe the height of the lowest cable is with reference to the disk. A judgement exercise for both the front and rear crew. Using that they then also descend to a height where they are satisified they are clear of the cable and that no 'arcing' could possible occur to earth via the heli. The judgement excercise and patter will be practiced until those doing the training (and maybe their instructor) are happy it is completed without error. Hence the up and down like a 'purposeful yo yo', and they will spend 20 minutes in the hover if they want until everything is done as per the textbook. Hope that clears things up for you:ok:

airborne_artist
5th Oct 2009, 15:48
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing ehThere was a touch of tongue-in-cheek in my post, which TM and RSO seem to have missed :ok:

Good effort under the circs - must be a war on or something as that spot and the one about 1500m E that's just S of the rail bridge have been quite popular lately.

SilsoeSid
5th Oct 2009, 22:12
limbo between Ch****y and As** Ti*****.

Jeez, a limbo between Chelsy (Harrys bird) and Ashley Tisdale.... now that is something that would certainly stir up my dusty regions!!!

p.s.
Another case here of a post starter wanting to have a go, getting shot down and then claiming 'tongue in cheek'....that everyone misses. Kerwan!
This thread will be taken away by the starter soon!

airborne_artist
5th Oct 2009, 22:19
Another case here of a post starter wanting to have a go, getting shot down

Nope, but I've bitten :ok: I really was remarking how dusty it was out there.

This thread will be taken away by the starter soon!

I'm big enough and tough enough to take it. It's only the internet :E

jordanpolonijo
5th Oct 2009, 23:24
can some pleeeeeeeeeeease translate this for me..

as it does sound rather interesting!!

grizzled
5th Oct 2009, 23:52
Re: "can some pleeeeeeeeeeease translate this for me.."

My pleasure. The first post, translated and summarised, comes out as:

"Gorshbit seburrthan! Sectronitiya dosni morgo thontunit, bast dukinwat somity? Futmasta nandomi lat. Spetseco (wocka-wocka zumbly!). Intavertna, ut kajmi dongput. Ut sengur dongput?"

grizz

621andy
6th Oct 2009, 04:58
Ich habe gerade eine Merlin...oops it's not Jetblast:}

parabellum
6th Oct 2009, 05:25
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Well, as it is a 'have a go' free for all, the actual expression is :

"a little learning is a dangerous thing;
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
And drinking largely sobers us again"

From An Essay on Criticism - Alexander Pope 1688 - 1744

Bertie Thruster
6th Oct 2009, 07:18
A little PPRUNE is an amusing thing; like the fruit it starts enjoyably at one end and then goes straight through to the other. Curiously it was dusty yesterday and now its soaked. Could this thread have engendered wet weather?