PDA

View Full Version : ICAO English test

simsam
5th Oct 2009, 10:59
Looking for some advice from fellow aviators in a similar situation.

I have lived in Australia for nearly 10 years, but grew up in a non English speaking country.

My ICAO English is at level 5, but would like to pass the exam with level 6. Have anybody tried the Griffith University or RMIT training?

I guess self study courses are not usable to fine tune pronunciation and fluency

And also can I sit the test with a CFI or do I have to go to one of the approved language centres?

SimSam

Lasiorhinus
6th Oct 2009, 05:11
Have you actually tried a Level 6 assessment?

Its more based on understanding what other people with poor accents are saying, than a measure of your own pronunciation.

AussieNick
6th Oct 2009, 07:31
my level 6 test consisted of having a chat with the ATO, then listening to a cd recording of a few people putting on really really bad indian, french and german accents saying standard aviation phrases eg an airways clearence, ifr departure call and atis. yes some of them were hard to understand but you can get a fair enough idea what their going on about when compared to the rest of the phrase.

personally i reckon your wasting your money doing a 'course' just to get from level 5 to 6

Mr. Hat
6th Oct 2009, 08:40
Does anybody know if there is a limit to how many times you may attempt it per year?

sru
6th Oct 2009, 08:46
As Aussie Nick Said for me (completed at the end of an IRT).

It also involved a bit of understanding of what was being said and replied to. The one I did, all conversations were incident flights, which exposed missed communications, incorrect, read backs etc and why though correct phraseology and understanding these can be avoided.

Having said that there is nothing like flying SEA, China, etc, where half the comms are in some sort of English and the rest in there native language (to the locals). Situational awareness becomes a problem. :=

sru
6th Oct 2009, 08:51
Mr Hat,

As far a I know there are no limits. Having said that if you score 4 or below (I think) then you do have to go and do the Uni course, which is about six weeks apparently.

Thought about it for a bit to generate some leave, but senses ruled in the end :ok:

Mr. Hat
6th Oct 2009, 09:14
Cheers don't expect to score below 4 although some might argue with my spelling/grammar on pprune i should:*

sru
6th Oct 2009, 09:57
..... didn't mean to imply that. :O All my intro's I start with "I'm illiterate and cant add up" - just to clear the air. before we get going.:}

.... Seam to get across the line, most of the time, much to the disgust of most. :D

Cheers :ok: