PDA

View Full Version : Apaches Afloat

Flyt3est
5th Oct 2009, 09:55
So when a Sea King or a Merlin goes for a swim, they have the emergency floats available.. No such luxury for the Apache.

Anyone know of any forward plans for the maritime role of Apache, i.e. Pilots attending remedial swimming classes or perhaps a safety upgrade for the aircraft?

Gainesy
5th Oct 2009, 10:44
Waay back, Hughes had plans for a marinised Apache aimed at the USMC. It featured a large balloon type float fitted to each main wheel hub, a la Wessex, and, I think one or two smaller floats on the tailwheel. Also featured powered main rotor folding and several other bits and bobs such as extra tie down points. Marines took the cheaper AH-1 Cobra instead.

I'm Off!
5th Oct 2009, 18:30
So it will pretty much sink like a Lynx then......?

Roco84
5th Oct 2009, 18:53
I remember seeing a mock up of an apache cockpit at "The Dunker" at Yeovilton. I also remember thinking it would not be a pleasant place to be when submerged and upside down!

BossEyed
5th Oct 2009, 18:55
At least you can blow the bloody doors off.

vecvechookattack
5th Oct 2009, 19:39
Very true. Merlin and Seaking both have working flotation gear available.....sadly the Grey Lynx does not.

Phantom Phlyer
5th Oct 2009, 20:04
At least you can blow the bloody doors off..

...as long as you remember to do it BEFORE hitting the water! The RTS rather understates the implications of hitting the tit underwater...!:eek:

Flyt3est
5th Oct 2009, 21:10
sadly the Grey Lynx does not.

Probably why the dunker module at Yeov's was always the Lynx setup :}

Lynxman
5th Oct 2009, 21:24
The Lynx flotation gear is only designed to go off as a result of a controlled ditching, not a crash situation. All recent accidents were outside of the design specification of the system apart from the loss in the Gulf where the crew simply ran out of fuel - silly boys!

vecvechookattack
5th Oct 2009, 21:30
That was HMS Nottingham's Lynx..... I think that the BOI stated that they didn't run out of fuel. Both engines were working and had plenty of fuel available when the aircraft ditched. The flot bags didn't inflate correctly.

wahwah64
6th Oct 2009, 18:11
there is indeed an Apache module at the dunker, and the aircraft has undergone recent embarked trials....for the second time. Issues with suitable liferaft are the main issue, and the Apache makes the Lynx look like a rubber duck when it comes to floatation....

Gainesy
6th Oct 2009, 18:59
I doubt the Hughes float proposal would have keep it upright more than just long enough to blow the doors and lob over the side.