PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Convert UK ATPL(H) & CPL(FW) to FAA Equivalent

tabdy
5th Oct 2009, 08:50
Looking for advice on easiest, quickest and most cost effective way of getting FAA Commercial Licences. Age 60. 12,000hr split equally between RW & FW. Currently holding UK ATPL(H) and UK CPL (Fixed Wing) & IRs for both. Can anyone advise?

B2N2
5th Oct 2009, 13:40
(3) Hold either a foreign airline transport pilot or foreign commercial pilot license and an instrument rating, without limitations, issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation.

(e) Meet the aeronautical experience requirements of this subpart that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought before applying for the practical test;

(f) Pass a knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas of §61.155(c) of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought;

(g) Pass the practical test on the areas of operation listed in §61.157(e) of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought; and

So you need to take the written test and it's you choice if you do the ATP(H) or fixed wing, either one or both.
Source and rest of the requirements are here:
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=74cfc2a8c986ca8b756f32e184339e42&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2&idno=14#14:2.0.1.1.2.7)

On standby
5th Oct 2009, 16:59
Can the practical test be done on an approved simulator (737) oor do you have to go to the states and fly a PA28, C152 or similar?

B2N2
6th Oct 2009, 19:01
Can the practical test be done on an approved simulator (737) or do you have to go to the states and fly a PA28, C152 or similar

Either one, that is something you need to arrange with the training provider that you select in the US.

Tinstaafl
8th Oct 2009, 03:28
You can do the test in a sim. Lot's of people get a licence issued at the same time they do a type rating.

I'd recommend you do the FAA ATP and not the CPL. The ATP flight test is little more than an IR with some tighter tolerances *and* the licence carries with it an integral IR. The CPL tests involves manoeuvers that don't usually get included in UK/JAR/Oz licences eg figure 8s, turns around a point and chandelles for example. The CPL doesn't have an integral IR so an additional exam & flight test would be required to gain IR privileges.

I expect you would have to meet the TSA insecurity crap for an FAA licence issue no matter what you choose.

Something else to consider: The FAA segregate their licences by category & class combination, with a separate flight test for each combination.

Categories includes Rotorwing, Airplane (sic), Lighter-than-air and the like.
Class (for fixed wing ie Airplane) is Single Engine Land (SEL), SE Sea (SES), Multi Engine Land (MEL) & ME Sea (MES); For Rotorwing the category is split into helicopter (powered lift I think is the term used but not sure) and gyroplane.

A helicopter licence would be one exam & flight test, a fixed wing SEL another test, MEL a third and so on. There are credits for having one of the others but you still have to do the flight test and can be asked to demonstrate anything in the Practical Test Standard, not just those items required for the add-on.
to