PDA

View Full Version : Mk.16A bang seat

ATCAdam
4th Oct 2009, 20:05
Hey everyone,

Just a quick question in relation to the Martin Baker MK.16A, I have previously been told that this seat accomodates for larger pilots. However the only information I can find is:

" Martin-Baker was presented with a series of challenges which have had to be overcome during the development of the seat such as the accommodation of a wider range of pilot models covering height, weight and sex requirements"

Can anyone with first hand experiance confirm/debunk?

Cheers,

Adam

Safeware
4th Oct 2009, 22:02
The challenge was BK wasn't it?

:)

sw

L J R
4th Oct 2009, 22:50
Quote:

'sex requirements'

...for an ejection seat !! - that would be nice. I would imagine it would be quite some ride..

kluge
5th Oct 2009, 01:50
.......aka "bang seat".

Dengue_Dude
5th Oct 2009, 05:10
They WERE going to call it the Mk.16FB but decided, in the interests of political correctness, to leave the FB bit out . . .

jimgriff
5th Oct 2009, 09:33
The main points of interest are:

revision to a style of seat structure seen on the Mk 8 with twin tubes taking over from the traditional main beam. On the 16 however the twin tubes are also the ejection gun.

There is no need for leg restraint garters as the restraint lines are installed on the cockpit surround only coming into use as the seat ejects.

This is the first Martin Baker seat to incorporate deployable aerodynamic surfaces which help maintain seat stability across the flight envelope.

Improved and simplified harness system.

Improved arm restraint.

Will accommodate the 3-99 percentile of aircrew sizes (both male and female). The rocket pack (single unit - not the multiple tubes of older designs) can sense the resistance to the thrust and compensate for the difference thus giving consistent results from pilots of different weights.

The main parachute is ballisticaly deployed. The duplex drogue system has disappeared.

The seat has its own on board electrical supply and is not dependant on the aircraft systems for any data. Sensors are ballisticaly deployed and provide data to a sequencer which decides the appropriate mode of operation.

A rear mounted drogue is deployed via a three point bridle to provide deceleration and stability.

In ideal circumstances a pilot can be under a fully deployed 'chute in under 1.4 seconds. High speed ejections can change this timing.

The "16" is cleared for service in the Joint Strike Fighter, Typhoon, Raphael, Texan II, NASA T38 and a few others others.

The Mark 16 series seats are examples of the Forth Generation of seats.

cornish-stormrider
5th Oct 2009, 09:35
the sex requirements sound like kinky fun, who do I bribe for a ride on that one :E