PDA

View Full Version : Changing google searchbar default location in Firefox

Maxbert
4th Oct 2009, 19:28
Is there any way of changing the google location when searching in the Firefox bar?

I live in Luxembourg, and Google returns German searches primarily when I search from the Google bar in Firefox (google.de)- This is unhelpful.

I have Google.com and .uk in my favourites, but would prefer to just input my search in the Google bar. Can I change the settings for this?

Maxbert

green granite
4th Oct 2009, 21:27
1. In the Location bar, type about:config and press Enter.
The about:config "Here Be Dragons!" warning page may appear. Click I'll be careful, I promise!
2. In the filter box at the top, type keyword.
3. In the resulting grid, make sure the preference keyword.URL is set to the site you want to use. ie Google.com or .uk
To reset it to the default, right-clickhold down the Ctrl key while you click on the preference and select Reset.
4. Make sure that the preference keyword.enabled is set to true. If it is not, double-click on it to set it to true.

Keef
4th Oct 2009, 22:58
Or if that frightens you, and you want Google as your homepage (or one of them):

Open all the sites you want as your "start pages" in separate tabs - mine has five, one of which is Google.co.uk

Click Tools - Options - Main
Under "Startup" click "Use current pages".

Then, when you start Firefox, it will open PPRuNe, Google, your stockbroker, the Aviation Weather, etc all at once.