PDA

View Full Version : Pilot dies in WA crop dusting crash..

Van Gough
4th Oct 2009, 01:27
I just saw this..anyone know anything more?

Pilot dies in WA crop dusting crash

LISA CALAUTTI, The West Australian October 3, 2009, 1:51 pm

A pilot has reportedly been killed after his crop dusting aircraft crashed in the State's Wheatbelt this afternoon.
Police are on their way to the scene of the crash, a farming property at the intersection of Yarling Brook and Fleay Roads, Wickepin, 210 km south-east of Perth.
The pilot was the only person aboard the single seat plane.

the wizard of auz
4th Oct 2009, 02:35
I would also appreciate some info. Company or pilot name. PM me if you dont want it public. :sad:

Hasherucf
4th Oct 2009, 03:13
Also an ultralight in York WA seemed to hit power lines . York seems to be the Mecca of crashes at the moment.

bushy
4th Oct 2009, 07:13
Yet another pilot killed by power lines.

VH-XXX
4th Oct 2009, 11:02
The message about powerlines might get through eventually. The last guy that did it during a private flight and lost his aircraft but survived is looking at 2 years jail.

magnum pi
4th Oct 2009, 13:40
Here's what little news thats on the net...

ASN Aircraft accident 03-OCT-2009 VH-??? (http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=68402)

Magnum :(

the wizard of auz
4th Oct 2009, 13:41
Thanx for the PM's those that sent them. I know who it was now.

the wizard of auz
6th Oct 2009, 10:14
Report him to CASA.

rachbuzz
21st Oct 2009, 13:53
Kansasboy, you did a fantastic job that day, not only as a pilot and a professional but also as a gentleman, my sincere thanks xx

There is very little news to tell, the ATSB is gathering information and a preliminary report will possibly be out in a few weeks.

The plane did clip a tree and it did at some stage after that invert and impact heavily with the ground. The question is WHY did it hit the tree.

Peter was a very experienced Ag Pilot with over 4000 flying hours, at least 3000 of those where Ag hours. Only a blind man would not have seen the tree. The tree was a good distance from the crop he was spraying and was about 30m high, wind was 3 -5 knts on that day so drift was not an issue. The plane wreckage was situated in a paddock of wheat, the kind of paddock you would head to if you were trying to make an emergency landing and were surrounded by canola.

Im interested in gathering any/all information I can about they type of aircraft, personal experience with them, whateva. I have some interesting pics that pose a lot of questions for me.

Not sure how this site works yet so pls be patient.

catseye
21st Oct 2009, 22:38
Can you confirm it was an airtractor 502.

A word of caution in difficult times. your limited access to information may lead to conclusions that may be incorrect or even misleading. This can be extremely distressing to the relatives and friends.

Just tread very lightly and and choose words carefully.

rachbuzz
22nd Oct 2009, 14:45
Yes it was definately an AT-502.

As for the relatives and being careful about speculation, thanks for the caution but firstly I am the wife and therefore related to the rest of the family and secondly everything at this stage, in this type of investigation is speculation, theories, opinions, etc. I realise there is more of a chance that there will never be a definative answer and I am not in the pursuit of vengence or blame nor am I confusing the grieving process with my own personal and professional curiosity.

However there is some reason, whatever it may be, that the accident occurred, and the more ppl learn the less likely it is to happen again, wouldn't you agree?

VH-XXX
22nd Oct 2009, 21:54
I wish you luck with your investigations, however I would like to re-iterate the advice given about access to information. Unfortunately these investigations can take a long time and sometimes leave many unanswered questions. Different investigative techniques, personalities and priorities will really mess with your head and you'll wonder what on earth is going on and why things are taking so long. I wish you good luck.

No junk male
22nd Oct 2009, 22:50
Rachbuzz,

I am truely sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this tragic time.

Kansasboy,

you sound like a truely good bloke. Well done on your sensitivity on a difficult day for you all.

NJM

rachbuzz
23rd Oct 2009, 11:01
Thanks NJM, your condolences are appreciated.

VH-XXX - thanks, I understand what you mean, and I have no expectations. I am in close contact with the ATSB guys and know how long this could all take, and then the possibility it will answer very few questions, ones I probably already know the answers too anyway. It is their job to investigate, Im just watching how it goes. Emothionally I am well prepared for the long haul with perhaps no light at the end of the tunnel.

In the meantime life goes on and I have a plane to get in the air!

catseye
25th Oct 2009, 00:03
personal mail

Kim Moses
30th Oct 2009, 07:26
yer the plane that the pilot was killed in was my dad old air tractor AT 502.. my dads name is Charles Moses...and he used to run and own Orana Aviation in Narromine NSW 2821

rachbuzz
12th Nov 2009, 12:50
Please could you pm me so I can pass on my email address, I would be very interested in chatting with your Dad if he wouldnt mind.

Sorry to send this publicly but its sorta the only way I can figure it out for now.

Thanks

Rach

Another Number
17th Nov 2009, 08:45
Haven't seen anything here (not been able to log in of late, though) - but ABC reported another crop duster crashed this morning (around 8:00am local) in Kojonup. More bad news.

rachbuzz
18th Nov 2009, 14:00
One more fatality, maybe now some real changes will be made to the industry. Perhaps Best Practise will be demanded rather than common practise accepted. Another ag pilot pranged a plane last week or thereabouts, he was lucky he walked out of it. Three accidents I know of since 3 October, unacceptable.