PDA

View Full Version : Another Raglan crash

toolowtoofast
4th Oct 2009, 01:20
There was a quick shot of it on last night's news - looked like an RV? Gotta watch those rabbit holes (as the AIP says....)

Updated at 6:27pm on 3 October 2009
A pilot and passenger have escaped with only minor injuries when their aircraft crashed at the Raglan Airfield today.
Hamilton police senior sergeant Kevin Anderson says the aircraft crashed just before 11am as it was coming into land, flipping onto its roof.
It was heading to Auckland from New Plymouth when the pilot decided to make a short stopover at Raglan.
The crash has been referred to the Civil Aviation Authority.

sleemanj
4th Oct 2009, 12:38
NZ Civ Air has pictures.

http://nzcivair.*************/2009/10/ouch.html

Edit: PPRUNE is being retarded and censored that URL. Replace the stars with b l o g s p o t, d o t, c o m

toolowtoofast
5th Oct 2009, 00:19
Photos by Jonathan Rankin

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj274/toolowtoofast/IMG_4484_edited-1.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj274/toolowtoofast/IMG_4469_edited-2.jpg

VH-XXX
5th Oct 2009, 01:12
Why must they insist on destroying aircraft even further by using something so obviously not designed for aircraft recovery to flip it upright again!!!

This happened at Avalon this year when some aircaft were flipped over in the strong winds. More damage was done when recoving the aircraft that rivalled the wind damage in terms of repair man hours. Some parts off some of the aircraft were then subsequently thrown in a nearby dumpster!

doubleu-anker
5th Oct 2009, 03:20
I have a question for RV owners, or a/c design experts..

Why do the U/C legs on the RV, point rearwards instead of straight down, perpendicular to the fore and aft axis of the aircraft. It just does not look right, as the way they look at the moment, they have already hit a ditch on the previous t/o.

I am sure there is a good reason like strength of the fuselarge at the leg mounts etc. Maybe if the C of G was a little more behind the main wheels it may not be so prone to tipping over. However I am not an a/c designer and i am sure a reply will include advice for me not to try and design any a/c either. I am also aware of the need for controllability on the ground and what that entails with regards to C of G in relation to the mainwheels.

Brian Abraham
5th Oct 2009, 03:29
The gear attaches to the main spar. Since the main wheels need to be behind the CofG the legs have a rearward sweep to them.

doubleu-anker
5th Oct 2009, 05:18
Thanks Brian.

I should have clarified I was talking conventional U/C., Tail wheel.

777WakeTurbz
5th Oct 2009, 07:10
lol VH-XXX, like the meatbomber C182 the crashed on a Torquay beach and they used a tractor to tow it out... only succeeding in tearing the engine from its mounts and out through the cowl. hehe

toolowtoofast
5th Oct 2009, 23:45
I thought the RV gear attached to the same point as the lower engine mount? Or is that on the taildragger only.

Brian Abraham
6th Oct 2009, 02:43
Taildragger.