PDA

View Full Version : How much training for a new type

welliewanger
3rd Oct 2009, 22:42
Hello Peeps!

Just wanted to get people's opinions on this. How much training (dual flying time) is necessary for someone to fly a new type of aircraft solo? Most flight schools want hirers to do an hour or so when starting on a new type. But what about more experienced pilots, e.g. commercial pilots. I've heard lots of people say "It's a light single, just read the PoH and off you go!" Is this a cavalier attitude or is it acceptable?

Thanks in advance.

Level 400
5th Oct 2009, 13:34
Welliewanger

It is, I am afraid, one of those 'How long is a piece of string?' questions.
Semantics first, a 'type' is usually used in the context of an aircraft which calls for the pilot to undergo a type rating course, which is a whole new ball game.

I guess you are probably thinking of the training required to fly a different make or model of aircraft in the same class for which you already hold the necessary class rating (e.g. SEP,MEP).

You are advised (and in the some cases required - see LASORS or JAR-FCL) to carry out appropriate differences training which should be geared to the level of complexity of the new make or model and your previous experience. If you are highly experienced and used to FMS units, constant speed propellers, retractable gear etc. going through the POH plus a few circuits may well be enough.

As an example, for an averagely skilled PPL holder, to convert from say a Warrior to an Arrow (Retractable and Wobbly Prop) would take about 3 to 5 hours, or until your instructor feels you are proficient, whichever is the longer.

From a C152 to a glass DA40 would likely take a bit more, as although engine/prop management is simple, you would need some time to get your head round the Garmin 1000 FMS.

Be guided by your friendly local instructor and you should not go far wrong. :)

L 400

S-Works
5th Oct 2009, 17:03
As an example, for an averagely skilled PPL holder, to convert from say a Warrior to an Arrow (Retractable and Wobbly Prop) would take about 3 to 5 hours, or until your instructor feels you are proficient, whichever is the longer.

3-5 hours doing what exactly or are you referring to the class room brief and an hour or so in the aircraft? Pull the lever up, gear comes up, push the lever down, lever goes down. Wobbly prop is a gear box show them the correct settings for climb cruise etc and job done. Your average skilled PPL has no problem with the concept or the practice.........

madlandrover
5th Oct 2009, 18:42
What about showing them the effect of different prop settings on glide performance? Doesn't sound like much, but can add another 5 mins quite easily... Then there's getting them to a safe standard, eg on PA28RTs in the circuit remembering to pitch the nose significantly higher at sensible circuit speeds to maintain altitude. I'd tend to agree that for a current and experienced pilot then an hour should be quite sufficient, but for an initial complex conversion then the average PPL hirer can need a bit more.

welliewanger
7th Oct 2009, 13:55
Thanks for the replies guys.

I was actually looking for info on moving between light SEP aircraft. E.g. C152 to C172. With just under 1000 hours (600 as instructor). The guy I'm going to hire the aircraft from (in Spain) insists that I won't need any circuits etc.

ProfChrisReed
7th Oct 2009, 16:47
I was actually looking for info on moving between light SEP aircraft. E.g. C152 to C172. With just under 1000 hours (600 as instructor). The guy I'm going to hire the aircraft from (in Spain) insists that I won't need any circuits etc.

That doesn't sound unreasonable.

All my experience is from gliding, where there is no possibility of dual checkouts for single-seaters. In that case, the instructor makes an assessment from conversation with the pilot and a log book review. If the aircraft belongs to the gliding club, then it's universal to take a short flight in a two-seater to make sure the pilot really can fly and won't break the single seater.

If it's a private aircraft (say you've just bought it or are flying with a view to buying), then it would probably only be the conversation and log book review. Of course, if the airfield is a difficult one (e.g. a hill site) then a dual flight for familiarisation and briefing on peculiarities of the site might be added.

A gliding instructor with the same experience as you would be asked to take a short check flight if he or she had never flown at the site before. If familiar with the site, would probably only be given a ground briefing and then told to go and fly.

S-Works
7th Oct 2009, 16:59
Nope, not unreasonable at all. With that experience you should be able to 'self check' with ease.

trex450
7th Oct 2009, 17:41

If it is a relatively simple change in type like your example then a briefing and a read of the POH should be enough. There are differences of course, bit heavier, bit more power but personally it is worth appreciating the difference of effect with flap. Earlier 172's had plenty of flap (40 degrees) with not too much power and the later ones (P model and onwards) have a bit more power and only 30 degrees flap. This makes them a more slippery and inclined to float. Worth knowing if your first circuits on type are on a 6-700 m runway.