PDA

View Full Version : Non-profit organization trip - Tax write-off?

Lindenberg
2nd Oct 2009, 16:10
Does anyone know if you are a non-commercial rated private pilot and fly to volunteer your time for a non-profit can you write off any portion of the trip? I do know if a person drives their car to volunteer their time for a non-profit organization there is a standard deduction per mile they can claim on their taxes.

Whopity
4th Oct 2009, 14:37
Surely that's a question for your local tax office!

flybymike
5th Oct 2009, 12:17
No sane person would voluntarily involve his tax office in the tax implications of private aircraft use.

Genghis the Engineer
6th Oct 2009, 12:14
In the UK it doesn't seem to be a problem charging down any provable business transport expenses as a legitimate expense, thus reducing your tax burden. I particularly have no great trouble justifying this, or odd bits of training, because my entire income comes from aviation anyhow.

However, I notice that you are posting from the USA. My knowledge of US tax law is about the same as my knowledge of underwater basketball - plus a majority of people here are British. You'd best ask a local accountant I suspect.

G

DaveW
6th Oct 2009, 13:55
Although I don't fly often enough in the USA nowadays, when I did, I recall seeing something that touched on this in an article on US pilots undertaking medical flights.

An organization like Mercy Flight (http://www.mercyflightse.org/Pilots/PilotsFAQ/tabid/559/Default.aspx) (link is to the SE USA part of the organisation) might be able to give you some guidance, and may also talk you into supporting their praiseworthy aims as well. :ok: