PDA

View Full Version : typhoon using one afterburner

Braddersb
2nd Oct 2009, 16:09
Why would the pilot use 1 afterburner?

Typhoon role demo @ Waddington (http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16454)

MostlyHarmless
2nd Oct 2009, 16:19
Other engine was U/S, probably. Single engine ops was a clearance we never had on the Jag.

TEEEJ
2nd Oct 2009, 16:48
Only for part of the display. Two burners at one point. Still an impressive zoom climb with only one lit!

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/DSC_0020TYPHOON.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/DSC_0072TYPHOON.jpg

TJ

Ivan Rogov
2nd Oct 2009, 16:50
It's to save fuel in these hard times and reduce our carbon footprint :}

gashman
2nd Oct 2009, 21:22
the other engine is still at max chat looking at the nozzle being in that closed position. One burner is often used for a single engined overshoot from a practice single engined approach. Not seen it in a display before though, certainly demonstrates the thrust available though :-)

Dengue_Dude
3rd Oct 2009, 09:41
I reckon it's so he can catch up with the tanker ! But not close too quickly otherwise he'll rim the basket .

Great photos though . . .

Carbon footprint . . . more bollocks. Global warming was supposed to presage another ice age (AND I've seen the cartoons - they got away ;o), the last four ice ages were obviously down to Stone Age man's over use of motor cars and fossil fuels etc . . .

So, big engines burning more carbon-based fuels - GO FOR IT, we'll be long dead before it matters (that should wind up the Greens).

Have fun all

Dengue_Dude
3rd Oct 2009, 09:45
I've just been counselled by my wife - she says we MUST save the Earth

'Cos it's the only planet with chocolate!

taxydual
3rd Oct 2009, 10:22
Dengue, what about Mars!!!

OK, hat, coat etc.....

Orange Poodle
3rd Oct 2009, 10:32
What about the Milky Way, or the whole Galaxy....

Sorry

OP

Arkwright
3rd Oct 2009, 10:40
Gentlemen, Gentlemen, Please......

I know that the "American English" language is getting much more prolific with Mr Bill Gates' spell check being the prime reason, but the Typhoon is a "British" aircraft, and as such I do believe we should be using the correct English language during its description.

I look forward to seeing the word 'reheat' rather than 'afterburn' in all future correspondence.

"Land of Hope and Glory, etc etc etc" :}

Dengue_Dude
3rd Oct 2009, 10:42
Yeah - but are they Cadburys? Can't be that Hershey rubbish.

Sorry about the thread hijack, rumour says it's about aeroplanes :ok:

Smart_Chap
3rd Oct 2009, 11:50
To answer the question at post 1.

At a guess, it was probably caused by a reheat issue with the right hand engine.

Looking at the pictures, you can see that the nozzle is closed, therefore probably indicating engine still in operation, within the dry range. If the engine was shutdown, the nozzles would be open.

BEagle
3rd Oct 2009, 15:14
Of course it might be that old RAF tradition of 'See how good this thing is even on one!'......

Some years ago, a chap was flying the beautiful deHavilland Hornet out somewhere 'hot and $hitty' as Robin Williams once put it. A reception committee of colonial Sabres was awaiting him, which he spotted milling around several thousand feet below. So he wound his Termite Queen up to a prodigous rate of knots, then shut down an engine, feathered the prop and went blasting through their formation in a slow roll before disappearing earthwards.....:ok:

D120A
4th Oct 2009, 16:21
BEagle, that was one Air Commodore Bonham-Carter, en route from Singapore to Hong Kong to be AOC, and staging via Clark AB. And when he landed, and the American pilots rushed over to question him on the performance of this amazing aircraft, he pretended he couldn't hear the questions because the battery in his hearing aid had failed!

Respect.:D

DKP1
9th Oct 2009, 16:22
Reheat indeed!!

BTW the pilot will be unaware (off thrust loss) during the display if one ECU doesnt light its reheat!

Pontius Navigator
9th Oct 2009, 16:42
Nice pair of photos. Small left rudder on both but look at the right-hand nozzle in reheat; it is not as open as the left. In the process of cancelling reheat and applying rudder to compensate?

FlightTester
9th Oct 2009, 20:18
It's a great aeroplane in my opinion - carries about as much fuel as a Tornado but weighs a lot less when fueled to that amount. Also has much better engines than the Tonka, so maybe the reason there's only one reheat lit is to do with:

F = (m dot * V)e - (m dot * V)0 + (pe - p0) * Ae

Where F is force and the rest of the equation almost equals more thrust than is proper and decent.:ok:

Dengue_Dude
9th Oct 2009, 21:54
Something to do with this maybe...
It's a great aeroplane in my opinion - carries about as much fuel as a Tornado but weighs a lot less when fueled to that amount. Also has much better engines than the Tonka, so maybe the reason there's only one reheat lit is to do with:

F = (m dot * V)e - (m dot * V)0 + (pe - p0) * Ae

Where F is force and the rest of the equation almost equals more thrust than is proper and decent.

. . . err . . . yes, of course. WE knew that . . .

Speedbird48
9th Oct 2009, 23:05
Dengue,

I believe that Cadburys bought the Hershey rubbish some time ago so maybe you have sonmething to answer for over there??

I once had the big man from Mars on board and when I asked why can't I get Mars Bars in the US he told me that Milky Way was the same??? Just shows how bright the higher ups are!!

Speedbird48

Jimmy Macintosh
9th Oct 2009, 23:23
The milky way this side of the pond is a mars bar. If you want a milky way you buy a three muskateers.

Pontius Navigator
10th Oct 2009, 08:53
Can you deep fry a Milky Way Jimmy?