PDA

View Full Version : RAF serviceman from 34 Squadron killed in southern Afghanistan

Tappers Dad
2nd Oct 2009, 12:38
BBC NEWS | UK | UK serviceman dies in Afghanistan (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8286384.stm)

An RAF serviceman has been killed in an explosion in southern Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence has said.

The gunner, from 34 Squadron RAF Regiment, died on Thursday while on a patrol near Camp Bastion, in Helmand Province.

Lt/Col Nick Richardson, of Task Force Helmand, called it a "true loss". The man's next of kin have been informed.

On behalf of my family I would like to send our condolences to the family and friends of this young man.

Al R
2nd Oct 2009, 17:03
34 was my favourite tour and my favourite sqn.

RIP chum. No words can express what I feel right now.

minigundiplomat
2nd Oct 2009, 17:27
I have watched the green zone gradually creep closer and closer to Bastion over the last few years, with a growing sense of unease.

Whilst no doubt explained away as a sign of normality and agriculture, it offers those who seek to harm our troops cover, concealment and legitimacy to be in a too close a proximity to the base.

Perhaps the time has come to visit the area with some agent orange and roll back the desert, for that was an original reason for the siting of the base.

RIP, and my condolences to the family.

Tappers Dad
2nd Oct 2009, 21:49
A fellow serviceman is killed and only 2 out of the 706 people who have read this thread have chosen to write somethng to show sympathy for his family and for his sacrifice on his death.

Sad very sad

KPax
2nd Oct 2009, 21:58
RIP, condolences to your family and all who knew him. Have been in a long long time, and from the 1970's when I first came across them, the RAF Regiment have been exceptional and professional at everything they did.

SirToppamHat
2nd Oct 2009, 21:59
Tapper's Dad

I think that's a bit unfair. As far as I am aware, his name has not been released yet; I suspect people may wait until that's in the public domain - especially those who know people on the Sqn or wider RAF Regiment community!

I doubt there has been a single person out there who has read this thread and not been genuinely sorry for the family of this man. I for one offer my heart felt condolences, but if it turns out to be someone I know, I will be back.

RIP

STH

VinRouge
2nd Oct 2009, 22:15
As one of the crews these extremely brave lads protect, all I can say is thank you... Despite the banter between sections, the RAF Regiment allow us to operate in an environment where we truly feel protected whilst in the air... Something you do not feel when operating to bases without that support. Complete respect.

Whoever you were fella, my upmost admiration to you and your Regiment.

Rest in Peace.

:(

Nikki_L
3rd Oct 2009, 01:22
I write this post from Camp Bastion.

On hearing the news of the IED we were all deeply disturbed. All losses out here are tragic, not just for us but the Americans and Danes alike.

However, as a member of the RAF and having to venture, on occasion around the camp and meet other sections (including 34 RAF Reg) this is a loss with far reaching implications. The RAF Regiment patrol the perimeter lines of air bases, which means "they" are getting close.

As you will appreciate, I can't say too much more on the subject at the moment but we (and the families and friends of those we've recently lost) appreciate that there are many of you at home thinking of us (esp those lads) and appreciate what we are trying to achieve out here.

Regards,
Nikki.

L J R
3rd Oct 2009, 05:09
Agree with you Vin - RIP mate, you and yours helped make my time 'bearable'.

Bicontatto
3rd Oct 2009, 05:47
Very Sad Indeed

RIP

Tonkenna
3rd Oct 2009, 09:11
Another sad loss...

Rest in peace chap...

Tonks

Spugford
3rd Oct 2009, 09:25
Tapper's Dad... maybe bordering on inappropriate this time I'm afraid.

STH... Spot on.

Grief is felt by every single person who has anything to do with the Regt, and yes that certainly includes me, and it not being shown so graphically as on here does not mean it is somehow less acutely felt.

RIP.

actnow
3rd Oct 2009, 10:46
A tough day for the Regt. We all Serving, ex Serving and non serving alike wish to send our condolences to the Family and Friends of the Fallen Airman of 34 Sqn RAF Regt. Per Ardua (Through Struggles to the Stars)

LOTA
3rd Oct 2009, 16:14
Dreadful news; worked a lot with 34 over the years - good blokes - and I knew the commanding officer in another life a long time ago - another sound bloke. So very, very sorry to hear this. Sincere condolences to all concerned.

Al R
3rd Oct 2009, 16:58
I wonder if the CO is the George Formby who did the Tetbury Woolsack Race a while back, whilst at Hullavington?

SAC Marcin Wojtak served on B Flight as a Rifleman. The Ministry of Defence described him as a highly skilled, diligent soldier who had a caring side as one of his squadron's trauma risk managers. He had been appointed to Acting Corporal rank and was due to return home for training to make that appointment formal.

Feu de Fer

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46489000/jpg/_46489642_marcin.jpg

BBC NEWS | UK | Gunner killed near UK base named (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8288695.stm)

November4
3rd Oct 2009, 22:02
RIP - another young lad cut down too early. Thoughts are with his family and the Regt.

Thoughts also with his section commander as this is the second man he has lost...hope he gets all the support (if he needs it).

eagle 86
4th Oct 2009, 00:55
Tappers Dad
Whilst I haven't lost any family and in saying this my son is in the Oz infantry and will be going back to Afghanistan for his fourth tour next year, I did lose some close friends serving with me in SE Asia during the late '60's. I must say to you that you never get over the loss but you must move on. I doubt that any serving or ex-member reading this thread would not feel something.
E86

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
4th Oct 2009, 15:11
Tappers Dad wrote:-

A fellow serviceman is killed and only 2 out of the 706 people who have read this thread have chosen to write somethng to show sympathy for his family and for his sacrifice on his death.

Sad very sad

That's a bit offensive and manipulative.

Maybe 99.7% of the forum heard the news, but choose to show respect in other ways.

Tappers Dad
4th Oct 2009, 17:38
SirPeterHardingsLovechild & eagle 86

I guess I wrote that because I know how much comfort we got from reading PPRuNe just after the Nimrod crash. We printed them all out and I have since met some of those who wrote about my son. And I felt that some people may have been influenced by the recent thread Is it just a Pprune thing?.

It was not meant to cause offence or to imply those reading this thread were not effected by SAC Marcin Wojtak's death.

eagle 86
Grief has no time limit,on missing and remembering.

Tankertrashnav
4th Oct 2009, 17:39
Tappers Dad. There is another thread called "Is this a Prune Thing" where this very subject has been aired and discussed extensively. I think the feelings of many, though not all, is that many of us feel that we dont need to publicly offer our condolences, preferring to leave that to those who knew Marcin personally. That is not to mean any disrespect to the guy, or any lack of feeling to him or his loved ones, but as Sir Peter has said, we maybe wish to do this in our own way.

That said, now I have taken the time to post this it would be churlish not to offer my condolences to his nearest and dearest, which I most certainly do.

TTN (ex Flight Commander 37 Field Sqn)

Biggles225
7th Oct 2009, 07:24
I haven't really looked, but is there an obituary section where this could be done?
I agree we all read this and sympathise and feel deeply for the families, but it might be nice to have somewhere dedicated for the 'RIP' .

Al R
30th Oct 2009, 22:34
BBC NEWS | UK | England | Leicestershire | Crowds line streets for funeral (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/8333520.stm)

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46522000/jpg/_46522100_-1.jpg

Acting Cpl Marcin Wojtak - 34 Squadron RAF Regiment

Feu De Fer