PDA

View Full Version : Is the FAA PPL-H an ICAO - license?

Yabadoo
2nd Oct 2009, 11:20
Hi Guys,

I am very soon the proud owner of a FAA PPL-H:-)

As I am soon going back to Europe I have done a little research on the wether I am able to use this as a base for further pilot-studies in JAA-land.

According to JAR you need an ICAO-PPL-H with 105 hrs as a base for entry into an modular JAA CPL-H course.

Do anyone know if the FAA PPL-H is issued in accordance with ICAO annex 1?

Many Thanks,

Yabadoo

Whirlygig
2nd Oct 2009, 11:46
Yes, an FAA PPL(H) is an ICAO PPL(H).

Cheers

Whirls

Torquetalk
2nd Oct 2009, 12:04
Hi Yabadoo

You should really have invested a bit more time reading the dedicated threads here on pprune that discuss just these kinds of questions. But here is a quick answer to your qs

1) Yes FAA PPL(H) is ICAO

2) You may have got requirements for the modular CPL confused with the TT dispensation for an integrated CPL for a PPL(H) holder.

You can complete an intergrated CPL course and qualify with a minimum of 105 hours TT, if you are already a PPL(H) holder. That would be a JAA PPL(H). So you need to convert your licence ICAO to JAA first.

If you have more than 100 hours TT you do this as follows:-

Do your radio licence
Get a JAR medical
Pass Air Law & Human Performance & Limitations exams
Fulfill the requirements of Subpart F (JAR-FCL)
Pass an LST (Licensing Skills Test)

These are the minimum rquirements: national authorities differ in their interpretation of JAR-FCL: some do it just so; some ask for additional requirements based on previous national regulations; some carry over rights from the old national rules which they shouldn't. So you need to talk to the Norwegian authorities if that is your country of permant residence.

If you have less that 100 hours, you need to do a course of training leading to a JAA PPL(H) - 45 hours.

TT

leedspotter
2nd Oct 2009, 14:11
Congrats on the FAA PPL H.
I did mine almost 2 years ago now in the states and I think its great.
No type ratings for heli's under 12500lbs I think?. So you can pretty much get in any machine and fly it legal. But, saying that, The Robbies require to do a 5 hour course. I got a Pilot to check me out on a Bell 407 and a Bell 222 when I came back to the UK ( The 407 is on G-reg but the 222 is a N-reg machine and its saved me lots of money compared to doing it JAA). Just becareful though when renting a heli for self fly hire. Make sure you are on the owners insurance and that you have a FAA Class 2 medical. Plus, If you come to the UK, rent say an R44 G-reg, I dont think its legal to fly outside of the UK airspace. So, I have been told, there is some rule with the FAA PPL and flying G-Reg outside of UK airspace!!!?!!!!

froggy_pilot
2nd Oct 2009, 16:07
Good catch Igor :ok:

Yabadoo, as F/O in the north sea on 92 and 225 with your FAA PPL(H), :eek: :ugh: :mad:

Santa Claus doesn't exist :{

The best to my knowledge is a South African CPL with 200 hours to be F/O on 365 or 76 in Nigeria (conditions applies ;))

Um... lifting...
2nd Oct 2009, 16:44
leedspotter-

One too many zeroes in there, but otherwise correct. If you were right, you'd only need the Mi-12 (not a lot of opportunities to fly those these days) put on... and of course, the Hotelicopter... and ain't she a beauty?!:p

You can, under some circs, get a type rating for a smaller aircraft put on the FAA (I've done it... which can be useful if you're using it as a means to get another license elsewhere, but usually only for CPL or up).

No type ratings for heli's under 125000lbs I think?http://www.impactlab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/hotelicopter-1_mncxk_48.jpg

Trans Lift
2nd Oct 2009, 16:49
I would say a great catch actually. I wish I hadnt spent all this money on a CPL if jobs like that are available for PPL holders. Am I over qualified for that position??

125000lb? Big machine that!!

R44-pilot
2nd Oct 2009, 17:14
Priceless! :p

Yabadoo
3rd Oct 2009, 00:08
Hi Guys,

I appreciate your answers, some more amusing than others:-)

I found the answer to my question by phoning the FAA – Keep it simple I guess.

With regards to Santa – I guess I will have to wait and see what christmas brings...

Yabadoo

Whirlygig
3rd Oct 2009, 00:15
You had the answer approximately 26 minutes after you posted the question. :rolleyes: Why ring the FAA? :hmm:

Cheers

Whirls

Firefly01
3rd Oct 2009, 08:39
I think i'm gonna convert my cpl(h) back to a ppl(h) too and get a refund. I wish somebody told me earlier about north sea requirements. Doh!

Trans Lift
5th Oct 2009, 03:10
Sure why stop there. Go all the way back to a Student Pilot License and see what comes around!!:}