PDA

View Full Version : CPL in US or UK?

XX621
2nd Oct 2009, 08:32
Hi all,

I haven't seen this specific question discussed very recently and I would be interested in up-to-date info.

Am half way through ATPL ground, should be complete early spring next year. My spare thoughts are turning towards choice of CPL training provider (intend to do CAA IR in UK). Couple of immediate factors spring to mind:

1. How significant is the "mixing training providers" issue with employers?
2. Following on from above, I am tempted to look at a US JAA CPL programme - but not at the expense of employment prospects...are JAA CPLs done in the US "looked down upon" by UK airlines? - or is the IR training more relevant?

If I do the CPL in the UK after all, anyone aware of any SE-based FTO's who can accomodate "part-time" students?

My immediate goal is to do the CPL then FI rating.

Thanks!

Keygrip
2nd Oct 2009, 12:30
Why not do the FI first?

Whirlygig
2nd Oct 2009, 12:58
Probably because you only need 150 hours to start a CPL course and 250 (?) to start an FI course?

Cheers

Whirls

XX621
2nd Oct 2009, 13:27
I have 300 hrs. I have considered FI first, but for various reasons want to get the CPL out the way first. I can't help but think the quality of my flying post-CPL, and therefore instruction, would be just a bit higher. Especially as it's been 13 years since I got the PPL....

camel toe
2nd Oct 2009, 14:47
I completed my CPL in the UK in 3 weeks and I started it in March. I had to make weather decisions both pre-flight and in the air, something which is quite difficult to simulate.

I also completed my IR at the same school as for me continuity of training was an important factor. I flew in actual IMC and icing conditions during the training, which came in handy as the test day was very grotty.

Not sure on the "part time" bit though as it wasn't something I considered.

Camel Toe
"Over Mach Grande?"

jonnyhock
4th Oct 2009, 07:47
I asked aout this a few months ago as im in the same boat as you, i (initially) got some good responses before it decended into all the UK v's US bol##@cks. Hope this helps.

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/384050-how-does-us-cpl-look-your-cv.html

XX621
4th Oct 2009, 08:29
Thanks all..

JonnyHock - heading over to that thread now - cheers:ok:

UAV689
4th Oct 2009, 17:21
The airlines prefering training being completed at one school is such a con in my eyes. I understand the continuty of training,but in my mind that should be in terms of time frame not how many schools. Surely going to a different school, using different airfields, different aircraft is only a good thing?

portsharbourflyer
4th Oct 2009, 17:52
Flybe is the only airline that has ever made a statement that it prefers modular students to have completed training at one school.

This statement was made at one of the BALPA EOCs a few years back, since it has been incorrectly propagated on to this forum that all airlines have this preference.

The reality at the present time is the most likely chance of getting a job in the next two years is either Ryanair or maybe a summer season contract via a pay to fly scheme (SSTR+Line training) (not saying I approve or disapprove of these schemes but the instructing option in the UK isn't particulary good at the moment).

So in that case the important thing is to make sure you have a spare 30,000 Euros at the end of your training. So therefore it makes sense to go for the most cost effective option.

JLMF
4th Oct 2009, 18:21
How much cost the CPL in UK (TOTAL PRIZE) in Bristol or others similar schools?

trigger0071
4th Oct 2009, 18:51
If this helps, I was down at bournemouth commercial flight training a couple of mths back and they suggested that they would do CPL part time.

Shunter
4th Oct 2009, 18:59
I think most, if not all, modular schools will do both CPL and IR training part time. It would be rather arrogant to insist otherwise. People have jobs and need to earn money in order to pay for said flight training.

JLMF - Why don't you take it one step at a time and concentrate on getting your PPL first? It's very difficult to put a price on any flying course, as people have different abilities and very few complete in the minimum advertised hours.

XX621
4th Oct 2009, 19:02
This thread has provided some very useful opinion - thanks.

The interesting thing is FlyBe would be an airline I would like to appear employable to, as the shorter sectors and turboprobs really appeal to me...friend of mine (same age) is in the hold pool for them right now - and they seem a very decent firm.

I'm inclined to stay in the UK and can afford the higher cost of training. What I was more concerned about is a pro-longed CPL due to the usual UK FTO issues (weather/slot availability etc) and a CPL course dragging on for more than four weeks.

Hence looking at the US, and then checking out if I would be burning any bridges....am not hell bent on driving a big ship; but certainly would not want to follow a path now which made me a lesser candidate for some reason further down the line.

Yipes, better get back to Gen Nav joy..... ;-)

Shunter
4th Oct 2009, 19:28
CPL course dragging on for more than four weeksI think you're in for a shock...