PDA

View Full Version : What type of personality?

Grambo
1st Oct 2009, 22:42
Makes a good pilot?

I reckon I prefer working alone, introverted almost. Would I be a rubbish pilot? Am I going to be constantly interacting with air traffic control and people for hours and hours?

Or do I need to be extrovert?

superdash
1st Oct 2009, 22:55
As long as your not a complete helmet, should be fine :p

Personally I don't think it matters slightly introvert or extrovert if however your in the extreme of either then it will be a problem.

What the best pilot? Someone who is balanced.

Do you go out with friends? Can you work with other people? If not go find another career.

Edit: Just found this it pretty much sums me up;

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/resources/news/the_pilot_personality_20070820246.html

Whirlygig
1st Oct 2009, 23:09
The general personality profile preferred by many operators and employers is the "extrovert team-worker".

If you know how to fiddle the Myers-Briggs test, you'll be fine :}

Cheers

Whirls

G SXTY
2nd Oct 2009, 08:45
I’ve flown with captains who never stop talking, others who are so quiet you wonder if you’ve offended them. Some colleagues are the life and soul of the party, others disappear on a night stop and aren’t seen again until report time. Most are great to share a pint with, a few are so dull you’d chew your own foot off to get away from them. Funnily enough, we’re just a cross section of normal people.

Backgrounds are just as diverse – ex fast jet pilots, coppers, teachers, bankers, oil rig workers - you name it. The only thing we all have in common is a passion for flying and the proverbial hole in the bum. I think I’m at the boring end of the scale – I’d rather have a quiet night in with the Discovery Channel than lead a group of boy scouts up a mountain, but they still let me in.

As long as you don’t have a spiders web tattoo on your face, or hobbies such as torturing fluffy kittens or listening to voices in your head, you should be fine. An airline interviewer will be much more interested in whether he could sit next to you for 8 hours than if you're a stable extrovert or not.

Nimer767
2nd Oct 2009, 14:04
Just be your self dude ,,

alkatifa
2nd Oct 2009, 18:15
I do think you should be kind of an outgoing person as you'll be interacting with all kinds of people and of course lots of radio coms.

You will be expected to show that you can make decisions and show confidence. Not a lot of room to be shy, you should be able to handle yourself and be able to show the others.

Just be yourself but above all trust yourself and rise to the task.

Halfwayback
2nd Oct 2009, 20:27
Grambo

I think you have had a good response from both ends of the spectrum.

Folk, both qualified and unqualified, will continue to add their own perceptions and this will inevitably degenerate the thread.

Consequently, there is little point encouraging such prattle so I'm closing the thread.

Feel free to PM me if you feel it has further mileage!

HWB