PDA

View Full Version : Live in NZ, fly for Qantas?

mostoyswins
1st Oct 2009, 20:36
Does anyone reside in NZ and commute to fly longhaul in Oz? Does Qantas allow it, and is it practical? cheers

qf 1
1st Oct 2009, 21:10
that depends if your a KIWI or not:}

seneca208
1st Oct 2009, 21:39
It seems as if it is allowed.

I once flew CHC-AKL on Jetstar, then AKL-SYD on Qantas. A Qantas Captain, in uniform, was aboard both flights (in Economy).

Horatio Leafblower
1st Oct 2009, 21:46
How about you live in NZ, and fly for Ear Nu Zillund? :hmm:

The Green Goblin
1st Oct 2009, 23:14
If you wash a few aeroplanes and offer to work for less like most Kiwis I'm sure you'll get a look i, but hey I can see why working for Aussie dollars living in NZ is appealing. I would not want to work for Eir Nuw Zuland either.

They're all GA with jets these days including the rat.

Keg
1st Oct 2009, 23:52
We've got a few crew who live in NZ and commute. All the ones I know are pretty senior though and thus able to have a fair say in their rosters. That would certainly make things easier for them.

It'd be tough commuting from anywhere in the first couple of years- particularly if recruiting is slow at that time- but plenty have done it before.

Bullethead
2nd Oct 2009, 00:39
QANTAS don't give two hoots where you live as long as you turn up for work when you're supposed to. I knew a classic F/O, when I joined Q in 1988, that commuted from Seattle, WA. He eventually retired quite young and went to live with the lady in Seattle.

Regards,
BH.

zube
2nd Oct 2009, 07:02
That's what the military call Self Inflicted Wounds.

cavemanzk
2nd Oct 2009, 07:10
I'm sure they would love it if you moved to NZ and changed over to the NZ based crew contracts.

I know of CX pilots that live in AKL & BNE, so I'm sure QF should have no problem with it.

40Deg STH
2nd Oct 2009, 07:41
Caveman,

At CX, thats their base........hahaha. Cx has bases all over the world and are payed in those countries and pay taxes there too.
So these pilots don't commute normally, some may, but depending on fleets, it could be difficult.