PDA

View Full Version : Gatwick £1BN Investment.

Airlift21
1st Oct 2009, 08:25
All I know about the £1BN being spent at Gatwick, is the replacement of the North / South Terminal transit system. What else is the money being spent on, and is it really worth it at the moment due to the apparent dwindling passenger numbers at the airport?

Rowan.

ATIS
1st Oct 2009, 08:59
££££'s spent on nicely coloured bus lanes. Two laned free flowing traffic has been replaced by 1 empty (bus) lane and a congested car lane at busy times of the day. In 10 years of operating at Gatwick I had previously never seen traffic through the tunnel.

Flipping jobsworths

matt_0445
1st Oct 2009, 09:21
They are replacing the south belts which has already started (you may notice a temporary building where stand 11 is/was). They are also suppose to be doing some work to stands so that they will be able to fit an A380 in.
They are also due to re-build pier 1 as well.

Airlift21
1st Oct 2009, 10:09
I just searched google for pier 7 Gatwick and there's a bit of info about a new pier possibly being built where cargo is / was. Apparently it's a low cost pier accomodating 4 A380's. Low cost certainly doesn't even come close to £1BN, even with a new pier 1 and all the other work they're doing. Maybe lot's more colourful bus lanes and a car park might do it.

racedo
1st Oct 2009, 10:31
££££'s spent on nicely coloured bus lanes. Two laned free flowing traffic has been replaced by 1 empty (bus) lane and a congested car lane at busy times of the day. In 10 years of operating at Gatwick I had previously never seen traffic through the tunnel.
This was done by local authority to do with the Fastlane bus service.
The bus service previously went under the Terminal but as a result of the genuine securirty concerns associated with suicide bombings. Lets face it driving buses and trucks on a public road underneath a terminal is kind of a risk. Not to forget the guys picked up in 2003/4 from Crawley as members of Al Q including one I believe who worked at Gatwick. Agree that the lane idea sucks.

There has been quite a bit of work done on passengers areas / car parks but thats only to do some of the investment that BAA refused to do pre Ferrovial.

Always nice though when walking into Arrivals in South Terminal to see way way up high above the Lifts to Yotel/Lounges the Rabbit Telecom sign 16 years after service ceased.
Rabbit (telecommunications) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_%28telecommunications%29)

LGWWelsh
1st Oct 2009, 14:17
Pier 1 to be demolished and rebuilt, Northern Runway Re-Habilitation, Main Runway Re-Habilitation, major taxiway works, Pier 7, Northwest zone, Transit Replacement, North Terminal extension, Pier 2 stand reconfiguration and the ST baggage belts. You don't get much change out of the £1b.

hapzim
1st Oct 2009, 14:22
What's all the work to the west of the "T" maintenance area going to be?

LGWWelsh
1st Oct 2009, 18:35
That is the north west zone - 6 wide bodied stands to inlcude two A380 stands and aircraft wash stands. Will come into action mid summer 2010.