PDA

View Full Version : FI Rating or IR First ?

speedbird001
1st Oct 2009, 07:50
Hi All,

Maybe this issue has been done to death before, Like most i don't have bags of £££££££s and again like most i have a genuine passion for aviation but I’m not really sure if i should do a FI rating before the IR.

I know with an FI rating i can instruct for a while and stay in full time employment and earn a little extra which is a big plus point but i will only have enough £££££s to do one of them.

We have 3 years to get the CPL/IR done after the exams ? and I’ve got around 2 and half years left to get it all cracked off, anybody think that doing a Instructors rating first is the best bet ? I know an Instructors wage is not great and at the minute these jobs are a little bit full as well due to the current jobs market but at least i will earn something rather than just sit there with a new CPL/IR on the shelf.

Cheers

SB001

jxc
1st Oct 2009, 08:21
Instructing is a good way to go but with lack of jobs (Instructing & Airline ) around why dont you juust save the cash and get any job at the moment then in say 6months decide if things are getting better or not

Good luck

Shunter
1st Oct 2009, 08:50
Doesn't really matter which way round you do it, just make sure you leave yourself plenty of time to get the IR done before your 3 years is up. I certainly wouldn't want to have to do my exams all over again :eek:

speedbird001
3rd Oct 2009, 09:53
Cheers Guys,

I know the thought of doing the exams again made my stomach turn over :eek: Incidentally, if I DIDN'T get the IR by the end of the limit, do we have to do ALL of them again ?????

Think I'm leaning towards an Instructors rating at minute.

SB001

Shunter
3rd Oct 2009, 11:21
Yes. Get the IR done or it's all 14 exams again (although I think they "graciously" allow you a credit for VFR comms for holding a CPL!).

Interestingly, Alex from BGS mentioned a couple of recent instances that if you do it the other way round (IR first), the ATPL credit remains valid for you to get your CPL after the 3yr period. Now seen this written in black/white anywhere though, and it's certainly not what LASORS says...

Brian Fantana
3rd Oct 2009, 11:36
I realise there are very few jobs around at the moment for instructors and commercial pilots, especially for people without the correct type rating and very little hours.
BUT
I would want to be in a postion of having a cpl/ir in my hands so I am at least qualified to apply for any commercial job. Without the IR you are not.
If you are just interested in jobs instructing then spend the cash on a FI course.
Luckily you have over two years on your side before the exams expire, I cannot see the job market taking off much before then.

jamestkirk
3rd Oct 2009, 11:40
An IR is a must for a commercial job, an FI rating is not.

Get the IR in case you get asked for interview. FI jobs are few and far between and I have heard that schools (like commercial aviation) are taking the p)ss again and offering things like £8 ph.

The job market for RHS is pretty bad at the moment but you may and i hope you will be lucky.

speedbird001
5th Oct 2009, 06:55
mmm looks like it could be the IR then :ugh: Like most i realy don't want to be doing those exams again, mind you with my brain it wouldn't be a bad idea :eek:

Cheers guys

SB001

Gazeem
5th Oct 2009, 07:28
SB, it looks like you have no option but to bet the IR done quickly due to the time lapsing on your exam credit.

If you were down the other end of your 3 year period, I would have recommended that you got a FI ticket first.

With an FI chances are you would be able to find some work (if only part time). You would improve your flying skills no end and it's a lot of fun. The pay is, though, atrocious.

You have to get your IR now - it's expensive, it'll only be current for a year but it will give you a 7 year extension to your exam credits.

The job market is probably going to be slow until 2011/12. It's going to require a degree of both determination and PATIENCE to get a job. This type of recruitment freeze happens every 7-8 years in this industry, the trick is not to become desperate and pay £1000's in costs for dubious schemes that appear to get you ahead of the crowd. Even high houred ex-RAF pilot struggle to get jobs in this environment.

Things do and will get better - a contingency plan may be required for the next couple of years.

However, enjoy your IR training- it's arguably the most demanding flying that you'll ever do,

Gaz

speedbird001
6th Oct 2009, 11:30
Thanks for all of your info guys.

SB001