PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Training in New Zealand

Big_saint
1st Oct 2009, 00:14
Just finishing up my last year of secondary school, and have been looking at flying academies in NZ. Looking at a Diploma in Aviation Science ( Instructor Rating) which gives me my full PPL, CPL, IFR and Instructor rating with 4 additional business papers (hoping to complete a commerce degree as well).
Just wandering what peoples experiences are with flight schools in NZ also any recommendations. I am lucky enough to once I have finished my degree/diploma, my student loan will be paid off.

KING PIN
1st Oct 2009, 09:16
hey i am in the same boat as you ... I am working part time at the moment and am looking at taking up pilot course... i have been looking around... I am based in auckalnd and the only place that does student loan is Ardmore Flying school... the rest of them are all pay as you go... where are you based? what school have you look at so far?

Nimer767
1st Oct 2009, 12:13
hello ,,

There is a Good flight school where you at guys ,,
i think the school name is Ardmore flying school ..
i believe that they got a good program

Good Luck

zappa2009
2nd Oct 2009, 00:06
Several places in NZ have student loans available. I know Massey University (4 year degree and expensive), Ardmore, Nelson Aviation College, Christchurch and Hawkes Bay all have accredited training outfits. I know Christchurch and Nelson have really good reputations - Christchurch is a bigger outfit and Nelson is more personalised I thiunk.

NZ is pretty cheap and the flight training has a really good international reputation.

Big_saint
3rd Oct 2009, 02:34
im thinking of attending christchurch, at the international aviation academy, heard from everyone its a really good flying school. Just wandering if anyone has been there or any other flight school in nz?

Bla Bla Bla
3rd Oct 2009, 14:45
Get down to Southern Wings in Invercargill, great guys running it who know what they are talking about. Some of the other schools you mention are so full of sh1t its not funny. If you like lots of gold bars and ball sh1t then go to Christchurch if you like no BS getting the job done in a great flying environment go to Inver's.

KING PIN
3rd Oct 2009, 19:25
anyone heard anything good or bad about Eagle flight training or Airline flying club or whenuapai aviation sports club in auckland

peely
4th Oct 2009, 03:12
Eagle has a good product and the owners actually run the business. 3 A Cat instructors who do most of the teaching and 2 of them are still flying real jets some of the time. Go and see them and take a trial flight and then compare the trial flight with the others - 30 years of aviation experience teaching you or 3 years at best from the others - it is an easy choice if I were makeing it.

KING PIN
4th Oct 2009, 04:40
Heard that airline flying club is also a club where all the airline pilots come and instruct and are all about flying .....

Cropper
11th Oct 2009, 21:13
Ah training in NZ....sounds amazing!!

ad8128
12th Oct 2009, 08:17
Just a quick correction, the degree at Massey is 3 years, still expensive though.

lilflyboy262
13th Oct 2009, 09:09
Ive written it a few times.

Eagle flight training is great.
3 A-cat instructor's. Years of operational experience. Well maintained aircraft. High Standards. You will learn more in one hour from these guys than 5 from some of the other schools with new instructors.
Slightly cheaper than Ardmore Flying School as well.

Luke SkyToddler
14th Oct 2009, 06:44
Doesnt matter how good the training is if you can't get a job at the end though :ugh:

lilflyboy262
15th Oct 2009, 12:07
The jobs are there. You just have to get off your arse and earn them. Not expect them to come to you.

Pilot RatBoy
16th Oct 2009, 01:40
Airline Pilot Training - Start Your Airline Pilot Career With CTC Wings (http://www.ctcwings.com/nz/)

Terrorhawk81
16th Oct 2009, 04:10
You should look at Air Hawkes Bay and their diploma, which is in the process of being changed at the moment to either a two year or optional three year course depending upon what outcomes you want to achieve.

shiny_aviators
25th Oct 2009, 14:08
Hi there,

thinking of training next year, and i was wondering if anyone had any estimate on the cost involved in New Zealand, to get to a commercial with instrument.

Also thinking of funding by student loan initially - can anyone run by there experience with student loans for flying...im worried that if i need to go overseas the interest would be quite a lot....any ideas or suggestions?..

Cheers,

anakwalajinn
26th Oct 2009, 23:53
How "possible" is it for someone based in Europe to do the whole pilot training in NZ? :)